can you help me fix my ADSL? my ISP doesn't know what is wrong!!

Moodi

I've had this 4MB ADSL subscription for over a year now, since january 2016, and it was super good for the first 6 months, everything working at full 4MB speed, 70ms-90ms latency in games. but until june things started getting bad, some websites like facebook started to slow down, videos wont load fast, then I discovered even more websites are not as fast as they used to be, youtube was still good, working at full 4MB I could watch HD videos no problem no lag..
as time goes my service is going worse and worse, twitch works at speed of 20Kbytes! and pretty much everything else, except for youtube and torrent downloads.
I've called my ISP over past 9 months and they always tell me over the phone that my line is "reading excellently", they only sent a tech once and he was a living example of incompetence, didnt even bother to check my router readings, he just brought his own router, and that wired phone thing to check if there is noise in my line. his router didn't fix my issue, and he says "I'm not hearing any noise in your line, it's fine", and they dont want to explore other options. everytime I call them they would claim "your line is reading excellently". every time.
if the line is fine and excellent, what could be the case? if my internet is now only working for torrent downloads and youtube, sometimes even youtube doesnt work fine, latency at games are worse than ever. then could be the cause?
my friends on the other side of the city roughly 15KM away from me have excellent service for over 2 years now.

and I noticed that VPN fixes my issues sometimes, except for latency, why is that?

here are screen shots of some stuff I thought might be related to the problem

ping plotter
here you would see that the 2nd hop which is my isp router is having high Packet Loss of 10% does this affect latency or connection?
wIj7U2X.png

my router reading
is something wrong with the readings?
rqwDLTE.png

Ping plotter to google IP while using a VPN, no packet loss at all, but higher latency.
GyMlDvZ.png

ping plotter to my own ISP router while using a VPN, little to no packet loss, higher latency.
pzDxJbu.png

MickZA

Executive Member
Your line stats look fine by SA standards but it seems you're in Saudi Arabia, I'd guess you have ISP problems..

Moodi

Your line stats look fine by SA standards but it seems you're in Saudi Arabia, I'd guess you have ISP problems..

well I'm not from saudi arabia, I'm from sudan. and yes I have great ISP issues but they just wont admit.. what can you make out of all the data I provided? here's another SS of me pinging my ISP router alone.. still over 9% packet loss, is it normal?
Jrfs1r3.png

Moodi

If Saudi Arabia then they most probably "Big brother" spying

nah.. my friends who live like 15km away have the same service and have excellent service too, all websites working, no lag, games with maximum 100ms latency

Moodi

Have you tried an account from another ISP...

well... ADSL here in sudan is monopolized.. only 1 ISP can provide it, and it's not doing a very good job, no options there... but there is the NTC who are supposed to protect consumer's rights.. right?

MickZA

Executive Member
well I'm not from saudi arabia, I'm from sudan. and yes I have great ISP issues but they just wont admit.. what can you make out of all the data I provided? here's another SS of me pinging my ISP router alone.. still over 9% packet loss, is it normal?
Jrfs1r3.png
Not by SA standards it ain't, we would be crapping on Telkom and maybe getting "exchange congestion" excuses ...

NorthPole

Doesn't look right that the 2nd hop is in Saudi Arabia and not Sudan. Ask to speak to a technical supervisor possibly and show him your routing issues...

Moodi

Doesn't look right that the 2nd hop is in Saudi Arabia and not Sudan. Ask to speak to a technical supervisor possibly and show him your routing issues...

you are wrong about that, the 2nd hop is in Sudan.
iIQfgDS.png

Moodi

would that much packet loss affect internet speeds in some websites? why is the only thing working is youtube and torrent downloads?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
would that much packet loss affect internet speeds in some websites? why is the only thing working is youtube and torrent downloads?

Have a read up on tcp window scaling, retransmits and latency.

Moodi

Have a read up on tcp window scaling, retransmits and latency.

I'm sorry but I really can't understand tcp window scaling right now, can u briefly explain what that basically is?

and also I noticed that when youtube doesn't work at full speed, it usually work at 1.5MB/s, but opening ANOTHER youtube window would ALSO load at 1.5MB/s and they both add up to 3MB/s, and another window and I would get a full 4MB/s.. what the heck?!?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I'm sorry but I really can't understand tcp window scaling right now, can u briefly explain what that basically is?

and also I noticed that when youtube doesn't work at full speed, it usually work at 1.5MB/s, but opening ANOTHER youtube window would ALSO load at 1.5MB/s and they both add up to 3MB/s, and another window and I would get a full 4MB/s.. what the heck?!?

Can't explain without going in depth into how TCP works - but what you're describing shows packet loss over a high latency connection. Single connection performance isn't great, but multiple connections all add up to faster total.

Moodi

Can't explain without going in depth into how TCP works - but what you're describing shows packet loss over a high latency connection. Single connection performance isn't great, but multiple connections all add up to faster total.

you sir might hold the key to identifying the problem, would be a hero and just summarize what I should tell my lazy ISP to help them fix my connection? is the problem on my end? is it on their end? is it on their router with the IP 41.209.88.1?
thank you very much in advance

Sinbad

Honorary Master
you sir might hold the key to identifying the problem, would be a hero and just summarize what I should tell my lazy ISP to help them fix my connection? is the problem on my end? is it on their end? is it on their router with the IP 41.209.88.1?
thank you very much in advance

Packet loss can occur at any of the links along the route from your PC to the server. Including but not limited to your wifi, your copper, etc.
Try running something like mtr or winmtr to an international server and see if you can identify at which hop packet loss starts occurring.

Moodi

Packet loss can occur at any of the links along the route from your PC to the server. Including but not limited to your wifi, your copper, etc.
Try running something like mtr or winmtr to an international server and see if you can identify at which hop packet loss starts occurring.

Ping plotter does the MTR test... here is another test I ran for 10mins.. same results
mVuJh9o.png

Sinbad

Honorary Master
So either your modem, your line, your dslam or the isp breakout appears to be the problem.
What are your adsl line stats?

Moodi

So either your modem, your line, your dslam or the isp breakout appears to be the problem.
What are your adsl line stats?

I already posted a screenshot of my modem stats readings but here is a new one
Cqipin5.png