Can you pass matric mathematics literacy?

acidrain

Executive Member
Got 8/10 purely because i got tired of the boredom and skipped the last 2.

Can't believe thats the questions they get asked these days. Makes you wonder what they are tought

Last edited:

Cicero

Expert Member
10/10

But actually quite impressed at the practicality of the questions.

Mister 44

Executive Member
The answers in the girls vs boys violence are all wrong. Correct answer is 36 ( they presume 35 ). Triple checked it.

Can't believe thats the questions they get asked these days. Makes you wonder what they are tought
Correct answer is 35. 80 boys in total - 45 girls.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
The answers in the girls vs boys violence are all wrong. Correct answer is 36 ( they presume 35 ). Triple checked it.

Can't believe you can't subtract 45 from 80 :p

Edit: Only got 9/10, thought there is no way in hell a 13 year old could be in grade 9, so chose 14 lol

Last edited:

acidrain

Executive Member
Can't believe you can't subtract 45 from 80 :p

Edit: Only got 9/10, thought there is no way in hell a 13 year old could be in grade 9, so choose 14 lol
Assuming I got 80, which I seem to have failed at. At least its not maths related. 81 - 45 = 36... saved! :D

Elite Override

Matric Mathematics Literacy Quiz
You have reached 27 of 32 points, (84.38%)
Average score
36.58%
Your score
84.38%

You will pass Mathematics Literacy
The average is abysmal.

Mr.Jax

Expert Member
9/10

That one question with the 'calculate the value of A' where they provided this big table...ADD kicked in man!

I think, my grade 6 and 7 kids will pass this (with a little bit of coaching).

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Once you realise there is a lot of BS in the info, it becomes very easy. I suspect most kids in 6th grade will pass easily.
The questions sound like they have practical application, but just because the use the example from e.g. tax, it does not mean they actually understand anything about taxing.

Edit: 10/10 for me.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
9/10

That one question with the 'calculate the value of A' where they provided this big table...ADD kicked in man!

I think, my grade 6 and 7 kids will pass this (with a little bit of coaching).
Indeed. I wasted a lot of time reading up on box-and-whatever charts (never had a use for them previously) and then realised the only NB info is in the very last line!

Last edited:

irBosOtter

Expert Member
They should actually change the subject name from "Maths Literacy" to "Common Sense" :)

Last edited:

acidrain

Executive Member
The average is abysmal.
The average is abysmal across all subjects.

I often get applicants that have included their matric certificate into their cv's and its very rare to find any subject over 50%, which generally is their first language.

Granted, the labor force I require isn't of high mental caliber but it's just interesting to see. I was more surprised at their first language marks than i was at the rest.

furpile

Expert Member
Got 8/10, also failed with the age one not thinking properly and assuming it cannot be younger than 14.

Anyway, some of these questions are very ambiguous. What the deal with the vegetable fields? The number will depend on your interpretation?