Canada wants white SA refugee ruling overturned

Blah!Blah!

Toronto - Canada's federal government said on Thursday it was challenging a contentious Canadian immigration board panel ruling that granted refugee status to a white South African man, Brandon Huntley, who claimed persecution from blacks in his home country.

Danielle Norris, spokesperson for the Department of Citizenship and Immigration, said the government will challenge the decision before the Federal Court.

She earlier said department lawyers were studying the panel's decision.

South Africa had asked the Canadian government to appeal to the court.

Huntley argued that whites are targeted by black criminals in South Africa and that the country's government does nothing to protect them.

He claimed he was attacked seven times during attempted robberies and muggings.

No comment from immigration board

Tribunal panel chair William Davis ruled that Huntley would stand out like a "sore thumb" due to his colour and ruled that Huntley's fears of persecution are justified based on the evidence he submitted.

The Immigration and Refugee Board has refused to comment on the case.

Board spokesperson Stephane Malepart has said he is barred from commenting on any individual case by privacy provisions.

The board is an independent tribunal that operates at arms' length from the Canadian government.

No additional evidence

Norris said a judicial review by the Federal Court will not hear additional evidence, with respect to the facts, for example, about conditions in South Africa.

Anesh Maistry, head of the political section at the South African High Commission in Canada, said board's decision is wrong and belies the reality of South Africa.

Maistry also said the board never asked for South Africa's views on Huntley's claims nor did it seek to confirm his allegations of repeated attacks.

"This decision is incorrect, it is not factual, it does not represent the facts on the ground. It portrays South Africa in a negative light and it misrepresents the work that has been done in the last 15 years to build a non-racial society in the country," Maistry said.

It's about crime, not race

Abraham Nkomo, South Africa's High Commissioner to Canada, said the refugee board was taken for a ride in the matter and said that it's a crime issue, not a race issue.

"There is no persecution of the white community in South Africa. What crime does happen happens to targets of convenience," Nkomo said in an interview with the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

Nkomo met with Canadian officials and expressed surprise that Huntley was granted refugee status.

Deepak Obrai, Canada's parliamentary secretary to the minister of Foreign Affairs and a Conservative lawmaker in Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government, expressed outrage over the board's decision and said it showed a serious lack of judgment.

"Having grown up in Africa and witnessed the devastating effects of apartheid, in this case against blacks and Indians, it is beyond my understanding how a Canadian institution makes a decision on a racial basis," said Obrai, who was born in Tanzania.
http://www.news24.com/Content/SouthAfrica/News/1059/0b2ef948450849bbb0fca4c8aefedbea/03-09-2009 11-04/Canada_wants_white_SA_refugee_ruling_overturned

well he will stick out if he gets sent back :eek:

anybody got the odds of him surviving 6 months once back?

Last edited:

JFK 2!

THEY SHOULD REALLY OVERTURN THe RULING, REASON BEING IT DOES PAINTs SA as a nation that purposefully approves persecution of whites which to be honest is not the case.

DreamKing

Executive Member
oh shame

he has to tell the panel the reason is changing from "race persecution" to "political persecution".

Will ANC and ANCYL let him go if he back to SA?

Road runner

Expert Member
Canadian wimps..

"There is no persecution of the white community in South Africa. What crime does happen happens to targets of convenience," Nkomo said in an interview with the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
Ha... Ha... I like the what crime does happen bit!:rolleyes:

At least it helps highlight the crime crisis we are exposed to in this place.

Anyway if he is sent back to sa he will face persecution of some kind, so he should have to claim political asylum now. ;)

Gomario

Banned
Huh . . . south africa goes from bad to worse ! ! ! Now they are interfering in another country's internal affairs too! Good, the whole world can see what is all about. Imagine if a african american ask for the same thing in South Africa. The SA approve's it and then the Americans put pressure on SA to change their minds ! :D The South African constitution states clearly - africans first, white males last ! I bet, charges will be brought against him as soon as he sets foot in SA. ( bringing the SA government into disrepute) Lets hope, the Canadian government wont bow.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Imagine if a african american ask for the same thing in South Africa. The SA approve's it and then the Americans put pressure on SA to change their minds !
The US interferes all the time.

The South African constitution states clearly - africans first, white males last !
Don't forget garden gnomes. Nothing trumps those. Constitution says so. Clearly.

smokey

Honorary Master
Well if the dude is killed by a black person upon his return, then the whole world will stand up and take notice. I reckon you could get into any country you want after that!

Last edited:

Gomario

Banned
I am sure Malema has a plan already. 1-Get the traitor back. 2-Put him in jail for whatever. 3-Get the job done :D Geee . . . I hope I am wrong as usual :D

Syndyre

Honorary Master
If he is sent back chances are something will happen to him which will then prove his point.

F

Fudzy

I doubt anything will happen to him, he'll sell his story to YOU magazine and hopefuly move into a better area.

greggpb

Expert Member
We treat everyone the same, it's not about race... *cough* BEE, AA, QUOTA's *cough*

Kosmik

Honorary Master
DOES PAINTs SA as a nation that purposefully approves persecution of whites which to be honest is not the case.
I'd have to disagree. Watching ol Morning Live this morning there was a women discussing this very issue and she said that it had to be taken in context. 90% of the population of SA supports AA and therefore its right even though she does say it discriminates against whites.

With that type of logic , 90% supported Hitler, was he right against the Jews?

This country won't heal until AA is gone and we work on merit.

Last edited:

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
South Africa should offer a Canadian refugee status from racist attacks in Canada.

R13...

Honorary Master
SA is a bit more mature than Canada's immigration board so it's unlikely they'd do that. They prefer a sit down on a government to government level which is what international diplomacy is about...:)

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
SA is a bit more mature than Canada's immigration board so it's unlikely they'd do that. They prefer a sit down on a government to government level which is what international diplomacy is about...:)
Yeah.. I was not serious...

friedpiggy

Expert Member
SA more mature than Canada's immigration board? You been smoking socks or something?

The SA govt are less mature that a Canadian 3 year old. I can prove this with 1 name.....

Julius effing Malema.

There. Nuff said