Canal Walk prepares to rip you off and ensures that they don't get ripped off.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Ripping you off:

The free 20 minute parking is now a thing of the past.
Ideal that they'd make this change with the shopping season about to get into full swing.

Usually I'd just run in and get something to eat and then be on my way out.
I hate malls so never do any other kind of shopping, particularly at Canal Walk.

So I go about my normal routine of parking my car and then going straight to the parking machine to enter my card to get my free 20 minutes, but alas, R7 off the bat now baby.

Cancelled it, went to Anat, had my schwarma in the food court and then went and got my free parking from PnP by getting a pack of smokes and getting them to foot the bill with their free parking ;)

Ensuring they're not getting ripped off:

No more claims or lawsuits for bumped and knicked toes and feet.
(If it's happened before I don't know)

They've now got security at the entrances making sure that all patrons are not coming in barefoot into the mall.

As I came in and left, I saw families being turned around at the mezzanine entrance at ABSA.

Round 1: Let the capitialist season begin!

Waaib

Executive Member
I've always thought that Canal Walk would seriously increase it's revenue if it made parking free. Like most malls the tenants pay rent based on turnover. I reckon the increased turnover would cover the parking. All other malls in CPT have paid parking except Tygervalley and Tyg's is always busy.

Edit:
Waterfront - Paid parking only (since about 3 months ago)
Cavendish - Paid parking only
Canalwalk - Paid parking only
Tygervalley - Paid and Free parking
Blue Route - Free
Cape Gate - Paid and Free parking

I know there are a few more but these are big ones I can think of.

Last edited:

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
We are quite lucky here in Cape Town! Canal Walk is the only pay per parking mall here. Spare a thought for the Gautengers! They have to pay for parking at every damn mall!

Rosaudio

First Officer
We are quite lucky here in Cape Town! Canal Walk is the only pay per parking mall here. Spare a thought for the Gautengers! They have to pay for parking at every damn mall!
Umm no. What about the V&A and Cavendish ;)

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
I've always thought that Canal Walk would seriously increase it's revenue if it made parking free. Like most malls the tenants pay rent based on turnover. I reckon the increased turnover would cover the parking. All other malls in CPT have paid parking except Tygervalley and Tyg's is always busy.
I'm also a believer of the idea that the parking should be free in order to attract clientele.

That's what N1 City has done and that place also seems quite busy.

/does not spare a thought for the Egolians :p :D

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
Howard place in Pinelands is also a pay place and so is Centre Point but whats so nice at centre point is that on weekends it's free parking.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Howard place in Pinelands is also a pay place and so is Centre Point but whats so nice at centre point is that on weekends it's free parking.
Centre Point, paid parking!?!?! :eek: :sick:

Shouldn't they be calling it Anal Walk rather, for the shafting they're giving their customers?
A friend and I have hatched plans to steal the "C" and hold it hostage; sending them pics from Table Mountain and Camps Bay, showing them that the "C" was out having fun with us.
In so doing, leaving them to be known as Anal Walk! :D

hyperian

Expert Member
Maybe it isn't such a bad thing. All those robberies that took place a few months ago were done in under 20 minutes. The thieving buggers didn't even have to pay for parking :eek:

Another thing - why does Canal Walk security require a new 320i 6 speed BMW? Has it ever gone past second gear? How about two 1.1 litre Yarus' for the same price and doubling patrols?

keru

Not true. Cresta, Sandton City etc all have free and paid parking.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Maybe it isn't such a bad thing. All those robberies that took place a few months ago were done in under 20 minutes. The thieving buggers didn't even have to pay for parking :eek:

Another thing - why does Canal Walk security require a new 320i 6 speed BMW? Has it ever gone past second gear? How about two 1.1 litre Yarus' for the same price and doubling patrols?
Those boom gates were still in effect and I reckon he quickest way out would be via the limp security guards around the back at the service delivery areas.

Shah33m

Expert Member
soon we will have to pay for the space we use at garages while filling up

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
At least Constantia still has free parking :) ... pity there is not a movie complex there though...

Hosehead

Executive Member
Ripping you off:

The free 20 minute parking is now a thing of the past.

Round 1: Let the capitialist season begin!
Well i spent a few hours there and the SO lost the ticket so I just ambled over to the booms, whistled and pressed the button and like the fine, good, upstanding citizen I am, took the proffered ticket and we left within 10 mins. Total cost parking: Gratis.:D

Rosaudio

First Officer
At least Constantia still has free parking :) ... pity there is not a movie complex there though...
Its immensely busy/crowded there though. Find it extremely hard to get a spot most of the time