Cancelling an ADSL service from Telkom - almost impossible!!!

It appears that Telkom is making it extremely difficult for customers to cancel any ADSL service from them in order to keep customers.

Any other service provider allows you to call customer service, do a security check and then you can cancel it over the phone.

Not so with Telkom. With Telkom you phone customer service. Then the first person tells you to go to a certain website and log in and cancel it. Then you find out that website does not work. You phone again and get other information. Then, finally, they tell you to fill in a long cancellation form with lots of details, which you have to print out, sign, scan in again, along with your ID and send it to a certain email address. After 2 weeks of no replies to you, you start bugging them on Facebook. If you are luck, after a week or so of that someone comes back to you and provides you with another email address where you must send the documents. Then you send it and hope for the best.

My question is just: what about people who have no printer and scanner? Who cares? Telkom does not.

I have friends who struggled for 4 months to cancel a month-to-month contract. Other people tell me they have been trying to cancel a line for more that 2 years with no success!

I know of people who simply stopped paying and then got blacklisted by Telkom.

Many people give up and just keep Telkom as service provider because they dont have time for these fights.
My suspicion is that Telkom wants exactly that. They are notorious for bad service and as a result see a loss of customers. To stem the outflow they decided to make it deliberately difficult for people to cancel their services. Clever, but extremely unethical and it must be against the consumer act.

What can we do to force Telkom to simplify their cancellation process? I have written to Carte Blanche, but I suspect they are busy with bigger stories. All I can think of is to discourage everyone to make use of Telkom wherever I can, which is exactly what I am doing at the moment.

isie

Executive Member
It appears that Telkom is making it extremely difficult for customers to cancel any ADSL service from them in order to keep customers.

Any other service provider allows you to call customer service, do a security check and then you can cancel it over the phone.

Not so with Telkom. With Telkom you phone customer service. Then the first person tells you to go to a certain website and log in and cancel it. Then you find out that website does not work. You phone again and get other information. Then, finally, they tell you to fill in a long cancellation form with lots of details, which you have to print out, sign, scan in again, along with your ID and send it to a certain email address. After 2 weeks of no replies to you, you start bugging them on Facebook. If you are luck, after a week or so of that someone comes back to you and provides you with another email address where you must send the documents. Then you send it and hope for the best.

My question is just: what about people who have no printer and scanner? Who cares? Telkom does not.

I have friends who struggled for 4 months to cancel a month-to-month contract. Other people tell me they have been trying to cancel a line for more that 2 years with no success!

I know of people who simply stopped paying and then got blacklisted by Telkom.

Many people give up and just keep Telkom as service provider because they dont have time for these fights.
My suspicion is that Telkom wants exactly that. They are notorious for bad service and as a result see a loss of customers. To stem the outflow they decided to make it deliberately difficult for people to cancel their services. Clever, but extremely unethical and it must be against the consumer act.

What can we do to force Telkom to simplify their cancellation process? I have written to Carte Blanche, but I suspect they are busy with bigger stories. All I can think of is to discourage everyone to make use of Telkom wherever I can, which is exactly what I am doing at the moment.
my cancelation with them was simples and painless i used the old self service portal. (assumed that's the website they referring to) https://apps.telkom.co.za/eportal/eCustomer/accounts
cancelled there got references immediately., they called in 10 days , confirmed and waiting 30 days of me canceling my line was cancelled.
try contacting them on twitter and cope wendy knowler in maybe it will help

On the phone they specifically said I must make use of the new portal. I tried both the old and new portal. Someone else also confirmed that neither works. Read their Facebook page. Many, many people have this same problem.

isie

Executive Member
On the phone they specifically said I must make use of the new portal. I tried both the old and new portal. Someone else also confirmed that neither works. Read their Facebook page. Many, many people have this same problem.
what can i tell you, worked for me.

eye_suc

Expert Member
my cancelation with them was simples and painless i used the old self service portal. (assumed that's the website they referring to) https://apps.telkom.co.za/eportal/eCustomer/accounts
cancelled there got references immediately., they called in 10 days , confirmed and waiting 30 days of me canceling my line was cancelled.
try contacting them on twitter and cope wendy knowler in maybe it will help
Used this option: going on 3 months for my cancellation.

Beyond useless, but par for the RSA course.

donal

Been trying to cancel since march. Went through all the same mentioned steps to no avail. Eventually managed to get someone in a hellkom shop who appeared to know that it was all a crock of s**t, to kind of start helping. 15th June I received an SMS confirming a cancellation was in the pipeline and stating 'we're sorry you're cancelling... blah blah blah'. Well, I sure as hell am not sorry. What a nagmerrie...

I do hope we can get a good thread going. We need to grab the attention of the mainstream media to investigate this and expose this enethical dealings of Telkom.