Cancelling Cell-C fibre [HOWTO]

The_Potty_1

Yes it was rather thoughtless of me, sorry :p

In any case, Cell-C have been very apologetic, they are billing me for September & October, not November, and I was finally disconnected at midnight last night.

Loppas

Yes it was rather thoughtless of me, sorry :p

In any case, Cell-C have been very apologetic, they are billing me for September & October, not November, and I was finally disconnected at midnight last night.
What an ordeal that was, glad you finally got them to cancel it. I'v got a friend who wants to change isps when his contract expires in 2019, but after reading this thread its clear he is going to go through some hell to get it done.

The_Potty_1

Well obviously I was at fault as well. You need to phone your provider, and find out the correct email address to send to. Send to that, but probably also CC every other address you can find for that company. Although I suspect C-Fibre is a separate division from Cell-C, and they don't talk much. Then after emailing, probably phone and check they have the message, the auto response is not proof they're actually going to do it. Finally, harass them on the last day to pull the plug. They'll probably pull at midnight, so you're going to be without internet for half a day at best.

The_Potty_1

.. and to ALL service providers. Set up a dedicated terminations address, and set up a web page that details how to format a 30 days notice of termination request. Then anything that meets the format gets an automated success response, and anyone complaining about sunspots making their dogs bark gets an automated failure response. Take those termination requests, phone each customer, confirm they really want to cancel, and find out if the reason for termination is something you could fix.

Just think, you could be the first service provider in SA that makes termination of service simple. Think of the ad campaign. You can slag off all of your competitors, and most of them will just stand there with a mouth full of teeth. If you've spent more than 5 minutes on hellopeter, you know people are .. lets say unhappy .. with how most service providers handle cancellations.

Nixnax

I had grief with Vodacom the other day- they hate Twitter complaints. Try tweeting Cell C- tell the to escalate ?

The_Potty_1

OK, it's all done, even the wifi extender. Was it worth it? Who knows, it would have been way simpler to upgrade Cell-C to their 50/5 package, instead of switching providers. There are two benefits to switching, firstly the new package costs less than the same thing from Cell-C, secondly the transit provider thing in that 'Comparing ISP networks' thread mean that Cool ideas have a more reliable connection to the internet than Cell-C does. Good reasons, but not switching would also have been totally OK.

Activating the new provider with Vumatel was also fairly nightmarish, so let me go over how that works,and what I did wrong.

Mainstream fibre's just over 2 years old in SA, and most contracts run for 2 years, so most fibre contracts up till now have been for new clients. The documentation assumes you're a new client. This is how it works for a new client.

The CPE has a direct physical connection to your fibre provider, in my case Vumatel. You wire up your router to your CPE. You connect a device to your router. You open a browser on your device. The browser requests a webpage, this request goes via the router & CPE to a Vumatel server. The server accepts the request, sees that you don't have a service provider, ignores the request, and displays the Vumatel landing page. You then give your details, choose a service provider, a package, and apply. It may take a while to activate, or it may be immediate, but you then have a service provider, Vumatel will now forward page requests to that provider, the provider fetches the page, passes it back down the pipe, until it displays on your device.

The_Potty_1

In my case, I had a provider. Cell-C. I requested pages, and got them. Time for my first mistake. I read the documentation, which said the Vumatel page will pop up, click register, etc and choose a provider. So, on the 30th of October, I fired up a browser, and went to the Vumatel page. I registered, chose Cool ideas, and applied. Nothing immediately happened. I did this again a week later, with the same results, probably apart from some garbage records getting stored on the Vumatel server.

I can think of two possible reasons why this doesn't work. The one is that the Vumatel page might not let you save a provider if you already have one. The reason I find more likely is that you're connecting to the page differently. I asked my DNS server (google 8.8.8.8) for a web page, and this was provided via Cell-C. My connection ran from my CPE, to Vumatel, to Cell-C, and back to Vumatel. This is very different from connecting directly to Vumatel. There are trust issues with an outside connection, which frankly are better avoided. Vumatel don't have to verify who you are if they know your connection hasn't left the building.

A simple test is to visit the speedtest.net site. This displays your provider, however if the page shows at all, you need to be phoning your old provider, and getting them to stop providing.

In any case, finally the Cell-C provider setting got cleared, and I got the Vumatel landing page. Unfortunately, my previous visits had created an account for my email address and ID number. With a random username of Hn4iuVpe9kZI and a password which I didn't know. I clicked the forgot password link, but couldn't access my email to change it. I eventually used a different email address and ID number. After going through all of this, I gave up, and then half an hour later, it started working. So there's some things I might still need to fix, but the first one was a tasty beverage. It was a triple.

phil77

I am thinking of changing from CellC to Cool Ideas as well on Vumatel. Did you pay a reconnection fee or anything to Cool Ideas?

The_Potty_1

No reconnection fee. It's all certain to be managed digitally in any case, no actual humans tinker with any hardware at all, disconnecting and reconnecting is a database instruction.

Juggy

Executive Member
Geez, I tried to cancel with them and had months of issues and even to this day they are trying to bill me a little bit every month for nothing. Fortunately I have Openserve and Vumatel in my street so I simply fired up Vumatel with CISP and cancelled CFiber. Still keep getting SMS's stating I owe CellC money which is not right as I asked for a cancellation fee and duly paid that

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Geez, I tried to cancel with them and had months of issues and even to this day they are trying to bill me a little bit every month for nothing. Fortunately I have Openserve and Vumatel in my street so I simply fired up Vumatel with CISP and cancelled CFiber. Still keep getting SMS's stating I owe CellC money which is not right as I asked for a cancellation fee and duly paid that
Hi Juggy

Please PM us your ID + contact number and email address.

We will look into this.

^NS

Susan4663

good day
i have vumatel/cell c how do i know when i can cancel to go to another service provider