Can't connect to router wirelessly because RouteSentry Active(Router in bridge mode)

mm001

My problem is that I can't connect to my router wirelessly because it is in bridge mode since I'm using Route Sentry.

I have a spare wired router and I'm thinking of this setup to help me out.

> Wired router in bridge mode
> Wireless router in PPPoE mode
> ADSL line to wired router
> Wired router to PC and to Wireless router (both by CAT 5e)
> Route Sentry setup on PC with local and international accounts
> Another account or maybe the same international account on wireless router

I don't know whether this would work or not ?

Any ideas / suggestions

PS : MY PC DOESN'T STAY SWITCHED ON 24/7

Last edited:

Pada

Executive Member
Hey mm001, can you actually access your router when you've started up your PC without RouteSentry?

If you can, then you could rather try my Traffic Splitter app, which doesn't have the flaws that RouteSentry has. Unfortunately you have to have the .Net Framework 3.0 or newer, which comes preinstalled with Win7.
Here's my thread for the app: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=201023
See the Setup guide link on how to use it.

If you don't want to use my app, I can certainly try to help you out to fix the routing problem if its as simple as adding a routing table entry - which should be the case if you can connect to your router before you ran RouteSentry!
See Stroebs' RouteSentry setup/troubleshooting guide for decent instructions & troubleshooting. There's a file that you can download that would do all the diagnostic tests, which you can email to me, and I can then try to help you out.

mm001

Thanks Pada , but my main objective is to have the usual routesentry/traffic splitting on my pc AS WELL AS use my cellphone to connect to the internet via wifi. And this is only possible if my router dials out not my PC (since I haven't come across a PPPoE dialler for Symbian)

Pada

Executive Member
Could you please specify the names of your ADSL & Wireless routers?

If your ADSL router supports half-bridging/PPPoE relaying/PPPoE passthrough (all the same thing), then you could have the following setup:
  • Your PC's configuration:
    • Create the second account from your PC.
    • Connect your PC to either the ADSL router's or Wireless AP's LAN ports, preferably to the ADSL router.
    • Enable ICS (Internet connection sharing) on the PPPoE connection that you've created on your PC. If you have more than 2 active network connections, then you would get a dropdown list in the ICS window, where you would have to choose your LAN adapter.
      Once you've shared the PPPoE connection, it should show a hand icon on the connection (like with normal Windows file sharing) AND your LAN connection should now have an IP address of 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.137.1 (depending on your OS).
      Your PC would also act as an DHCP server, which is why you would have to turn of DHCP on the ADSL.
  • ADSL router configuration:
    • Set it in half-bridge mode: let it dial 1 account
    • disable DHCP
    • set its IP address to 192.168.1.2 (if your PC has XP/Vista) or to 192.168.137.2 (if your PC has Win 7).
  • Your Wireless AP configuration:
    • Set it in bridging mode
    • Connect its WAN port to a LAN port on the ADSL router
    • Set its IP to 192.168.1.3 or 192.168.137.3 (depending on your PC's OS)
Once you've ran the Traffic Splitter app (or RouteSentry) on your PC, it should also split the traffic for your cellphone!

The issues with this setup are:
  • Your PC has to be switched on for your cellphone to get an IP address.
    You could set your IP address manually, by specifying 192.168.1.2 as its gateway, but then the traffic splitting won't work for your cellphone.
  • ICS can only share 1 connection. This would mean that you can only use ICS to split traffic if your router supports half-bridging.

Ideally, you would want to do the traffic splitting on your ADSL / Wireless routers.

I've done traffic splitting on the following routers: Linksys WRT54GL (with DD-WRT firmware), MikroTik RB750G and Ubiquity Nanostation 5.

mm001

My Router is pretty crap : Mecer WAR25TC (wireless)

And the free wired one from cybersmart : Some junk but it does support bridging