Can't decide between Kingston and Corsair laptop RAM

NomNom

Executive Member
I would go for the Kinston, cheaper and lower voltage, = 2mins extra battery life? :D

But seriously though, I'm not too sure how it works if I had to guess though the Kinston would run at 1.35v and the one you have would stay at 1.5v

According to the internet, mixing different voltages of RAM is "not advisable"

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1702500/mixing-ram-voltage-problem.html#.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/238202-30-mixing-size-latency-volts#.

So maybe go for the Corsair to be on the safe side.

howardb

Expert Member
+1 for Kingston - I've always used them and never had any issues, solid performance.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Just another question - My current RAM's timing sits at 11-11-11-28 and the one I am interested in getting is 11-11-11-30. Does this matter? Do they all need to completely match or is that irrelevant?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Just another question - My current RAM's timing sits at 11-11-11-28 and the one I am interested in getting is 11-11-11-30. Does this matter? Do they all need to completely match or is that irrelevant?

It matters if you are an enthusiast. Lower ram timings means tighter ram timings means faster ram timings.

If the 4th number is higher than the first 3 numbers added up then it is more stable but slower.

The timings means that it takes 11cycles before the each respective part gets cleared. Im a bit fuzzy so will prob get flamed by some forumites. Read upon ram timings like tras and trpd and latency stuff.

But if its for a sh**ty laptop then it shouldnt matter at all.

Last edited:

howardb

Expert Member
I don't think it should matter, but rather wait for a few more replies ;)

Edit: didn't see CamiKaze's reply, question answered...

Last edited:

mercurial

MyBB Legend
It matters if you are an enthusiast. Lower ram timings means tighter ram timings means faster ram timings.

If the 4th number is higher than the first 3 numbers added up then it is more stable but slower.

The timings means that it takes 11cycles before the each respective part gets cleared. Im a bit fuzzy so will prob get flamed by some forumites. Read upon ram timings like tras and trpd and latency stuff.

But if its for a sh**ty laptop then it shouldnt matter at all.

Thanks for the help :) I'm running a 3rd gen Core i5 (2.5GHz), 4GB RAM and 750GB HDD.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Thanks for the help :) I'm running a 3rd gen Core i5 (2.5GHz), 4GB RAM and 750GB HDD.

You will only see differences in numbers when you benchmark and tinker with the latencies. It's best to have these options if you are a games. If you really want to see performance from your laptop then you should invest in a nice 90 GB Kingston ssd because it comes with an external 2.5" enclosure which will compliment your 750GB.

Flidiot

Actually it could mean the difference between money wasted and money well spent. Learnt the hard way... :)

Best place to start would be to run through the compatibility checkers on the manufacturers websites.

http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search/options/

http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore

I recently bought some new memory for my wife's laptop, BIOS picked it up and all was peachy - but as soon as the system actually starts to utilise the memory we got BSOD's and complete freezes. Remove the new RAM and all is well again. Same issue when just the new module was in the system.

Apparently it has something to do with the way notebooks handle memory timing.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
You will only see differences in numbers when you benchmark and tinker with the latencies. It's best to have these options if you are a games. If you really want to see performance from your laptop then you should invest in a nice 90 GB Kingston ssd because it comes with an external 2.5" enclosure which will compliment your 750GB.

A SSD is definitely something I will consider down the line, when I've got some extra cash. If I do go that route in the future, would I need to reinstall everything (OS + apps) or is there a way to just run the OS and certain apps off the SSD? I guess I could uninstall some apps and reinstall them onto the SSD?

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Actually it could mean the difference between money wasted and money well spent. Learnt the hard way... :)

Best place to start would be to run through the compatibility checkers on the manufacturers websites.

http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search/options/

http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore

I recently bought some new memory for my wife's laptop, BIOS picked it up and all was peachy - but as soon as the system actually starts to utilise the memory we got BSOD's and complete freezes. Remove the new RAM and all is well again. Same issue when just the new module was in the system.

Apparently it has something to do with the way notebooks handle memory timing.

Holy moly. Thanks for this.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
A SSD is definitely something I will consider down the line, when I've got some extra cash. If I do go that route in the future, would I need to reinstall everything (OS + apps) or is there a way to just run the OS and certain apps off the SSD? I guess I could uninstall some apps and reinstall them onto the SSD?

I always prefer a clean install instead of cloning drives. ALWAYS. Many people will tell you different but I just reinstall so that i know that my registry is clean and that my drive and windows is in tip top condition. For me, 90 Gigs is getting a bit too small for my OS drive but I am installing my apps to my secondary drive and some games to my SSD(OS Drive).

mercurial

MyBB Legend
I always prefer a clean install instead of cloning drives. ALWAYS. Many people will tell you different but I just reinstall so that i know that my registry is clean and that my drive and windows is in tip top condition. For me, 90 Gigs is getting a bit too small for my OS drive but I am installing my apps to my secondary drive and some games to my SSD(OS Drive).

Same here.

Hmmm... that Corsair link tells me to get the CL9 modules, but my machine's RAM is CL11. Not sure if that's a good idea.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532.

yeah I wouldn't be too concerned with getting the lowest timings possible on this laptop. You are using Intel graphics and wont get any grunt out of this machine. I would go for Kingston any day, especially low voltage ones on this laptop. Get 2 8gig modules and the SSD. Its good for applications but not really for gaming.

Lol you trying to turn an office laptop into a gaming machine that does not have a graphics card?

Anyway, you not going to notice a difference in speed.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
yeah I wouldn't be too concerned with getting the lowest timings possible on this laptop. You are using Intel graphics and wont get any grunt out of this machine. I would go for Kingston any day, especially low voltage ones on this laptop. Get 2 8gig modules and the SSD. Its good for applications but not really for gaming.

Lol you trying to turn an office laptop into a gaming machine that does not have a graphics card?

Anyway, you not going to notice a difference in speed.

I need the extra RAM, since I use the laptop for development. Visual Studio 2013 + SQL Server tends to be heavy resource hoggers.
Will the difference in voltages not matter? My current RAM runs at 1.5V but the Kingston ones I've seen run at 1.35V.

Anyway, thanks for your advice.

Last edited: