Cant get 4g even after calling vodacom numerous times

Wes84

Hi guys

New to mybroadband and really hoping someone can help me. I have 4 vodacom sim cards. Two are about 8 months old and have 4g. The other two are about 6 months old and are on contract but can only get hspa. I called vodacom to activate it about 3 times and everytime they say its activated on their side. I popped in my old sim and bam 4g so it isnt coverage. My settings are all correct so I have no idea what the problem is. Please any help would be appreciated as I bought 30gig data reoccurring and battling with download speeds.

SyncopicNexus

Had the same problem, kept saying we activated it or that I must wait 24hrs, etc. Never got it sorted and ended up cancelling the contract. Sorry not helpful, just what I experienced.

Wes84

I've been considering the same thing. Network is terrible even been jumping to edge. Geeze if I wanted that I would have got a Nokia 3110

Wes84

@Ockie I saw you managed to help people back in 2015. I know very old thread but hoping you still on the forum and willing to assist me in any way possible.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Gosh...this still happening so many years later? So...I don't access to the c3d system anymore which is used for individual accounts....I only have access to MII which is used for business accounts. However...when I used to have access...this is what I did to resolve this issue for my customers. Go into a Vodacom Shop and ask them to perform the following on each of the numbers u struggling with.

1. Create order to remobe all LTE services on VAS. Submit and wait for order to go into complete status.

2. Create order for network sync and submit. Wait for it to complete.

3. Create order and activate LTE service. Submit and wait for order to complete. On top up contracts...there is two LTE services....both must be done in the steps above.

After last step....reboot device.

Wes84

Ockie thank you so much will go see them tomorrow and get it sorted. Much much appreciated

Wes84

Work has been crazy but screen grabbed what I should do. Going in tomorrow morning to vodacom will update as soon as I'm done there

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
@Ockie if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have had 4g, they know eff all at the call centre thank you once again
You are welcome. Thing is, people in the call centre dont tend to be "exploratory" when it comes to systems. When you call in, all they will see is "LTE acitve" and that is what they will tell you. I on the other hand having been a customer facing agent, I would go OK, I have my phone which is on Vodacom here with me, and it shows LTE. I am looking at customer's phone physically and his is showing 3G. Why? What would happen if I were to just remove the LTE service complete and redo LTE provisioning from scratch and do network sync. Viola .... It works ...... and that is how I discovered my little trick I asked you to request from the shop. :)

Enjoy 4G/LTE coverage going forward :)

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You are welcome. Thing is, people in the call centre dont tend to be "exploratory" when it comes to systems. When you call in, all they will see is "LTE acitve" and that is what they will tell you. I on the other hand having been a customer facing agent, I would go OK, I have my phone which is on Vodacom here with me, and it shows LTE. I am looking at customer's phone physically and his is showing 3G. Why? What would happen if I were to just remove the LTE service complete and redo LTE provisioning from scratch and do network sync. Viola .... It works ...... and that is how I discovered my little trick I asked you to request from the shop. :)

Enjoy 4G/LTE coverage going forward :)
So what is the problem Ockie? Apart from poor training of call centre and customer-facing personnel?
Why would a service that worked previously stop working? What is it? an issue on the device in which the sim card is used that needs reset or a system fault in the VC systems? Does it happen if you move sims between devices too often?

What your recipe is doing is a master service reset.

Last edited:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
So what is the problem Ockie? Apart from poor training of call centre and customer-facing personnel?
Why would a service that worked previously stop working? What is it? an issue on the device in which the sim card is used that needs reset or a system fault in the VC systems? Does it happen if you move sims between devices too often?

What your recipe is doing is a maservicervie reset.
In my view it is a backend issue. It seemed to have started when Vodacom started moving individual account holders over to the c3d system, and in most cases would occur either when a customer changed from normal contract to hybrid such as a Top Up or Flexi pakcage, or to prepaid.

Business customers and prepaid numbers on the old MII system did and does not seem to be affected by this issue.

This is my personal experience on this issue. I am not a system engineer or have detailed knowledge on how the backend systems work and so, dont take my word as gospel. I just know how to fix it for the customer, well, when I had access to c3d at that time.

SyncopicNexus

@Ockie not sure if you can check or answer this question... I get full 4G on my phone with Vodacom, however if I put the SIM in a router I get like 2 Bar of signal and speed drop by more than 50%. Is there any reason for this that you might know of?

@Wes84 glad you sorted. I know what to do now if I ever decide to take up a data contract with Vodacom again

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
@Ockie not sure if you can check or answer this question... I get full 4G on my phone with Vodacom, however if I put the SIM in a router I get like 2 Bar of signal and speed drop by more than 50%. Is there any reason for this that you might know of?

@Wes84 glad you sorted. I know what to do now if I ever decide to take up a data contract with Vodacom again
First thing that comes to mind is either it is a old router and does not support carrier aggregation or all the LTE bands which Vodacom uses on its network....and or antenna in router is not as good as the one in Ure phone.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Yes. You can't expect more out of the sim than the device it is plugged into can deliver.
That is the problem with the tablet I am using now -- it can barely handle HSPA,.

Last edited:

deonvw

@Ockie @SyncopicNexus guys it worked. Thank you very much. Less than 5 min and I'm up and running on 4g again.
Whoa, you were lucky. Everywhere I went to vodashops in Cape Town, I got from very blank distant stares to much fiddling on shop pc's to no, this can't be done. All recon they do not know about VAS etc.
Where did you go to get this sorted?

Thanks for your feedback

Wes84

At a store in Musgrave Centre. An older indian man assisted me. He was very sharp. Took less than 2 minutes to change the settings and withing 20 min I had 4g again. He said it reflected as showing i had the 4g network but i showed him my phone and he just reset the settings and configured it again. Just tell them to clear the settings and reactivate it again

deonvw

At a store in Musgrave Centre. An older indian man assisted me. He was very sharp. Took less than 2 minutes to change the settings and withing 20 min I had 4g again. He said it reflected as showing i had the 4g network but i showed him my phone and he just reset the settings and configured it again. Just tell them to clear the settings and reactivate it again
Thanks,
I am going to JHB tomorrow, so maybe I should pop into Vodaworld in Midrand....just maybe someone will have the savy...afterall