Cape Town’s plan for a “digital nomad” visa

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I would not see why anyone would do this as you'd qualify for South African tax.
Most would just use the normal, short-term 90 day visa.

krycor

Honorary Master
I would not see why anyone would do this as you'd qualify for South African tax.
Most would just use the normal, short-term 90 day visa.

They attaching tax? Uhm.. yah no.. I don’t see people doing that especially with foreign income which would attract a higher tax rate.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
They attaching tax? Uhm.. yah no.. I don’t see people doing that especially with foreign income which would attract a higher tax rate.
It will probably be fine, it's something like over 91 days a year and then 330 days in 5 years, so this visa can't be a year long, probably a 3-6 month one where the previous long-term visa would be the same.

ronald911

Expert Member
The one thing everyone forgets about these digital nomad visas is the dire tax consequences that can arise from spending too much time in a host country.
Doubt it will... a Remote work visa is essentially an extended Tourist Visa.
They won't open local bank accounts, will keep all their earnings in their home bank accounts, they shouldn't be earning locally and will still pay tax in their home countries.

Here they should just be pumping cash into the economy - eat out everyday, live in nice Airbnbs long term, do touristy stuff over weekends.