Cape Town draws battle lines over right to buy alternative energy from IPPs

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
Cape Town draws battle lines over right to buy alternative energy from IPPs

The City of Cape Town plans to take Energy Minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson to court for the right to buy power directly from alternative energy suppliers, instead of Eskom.

The city wanted to get 20% of its energy from renewable resources by 2020, but needed the minister to sign off on an application to get independent power producers (IPP), mayor Patricia de Lille said at the unveiling of a waste-to-energy enterprise in Athlone on Wednesday.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
I don't understand this! Eskom can't produce enough electricity but we may not make use of other means either!

Nick333

Honorary Master
I don't understand this! Eskom can't produce enough electricity but we may not make use of other means either!
It's not a mystery. Government is investing billions in new plants. They need captive markets.

Nick333

Honorary Master
I'm not sure I buy the renewable angle. Whether Cape Town buys electricity from Eskom or not is going to have very little effect on Eskoms eventual enviromental impact. I can understand it from an economic point of view.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Our energy supply system seems rather outdated if you compare it to Europe, where, from what I understand, the end user (you and me), can actually decide what power company I want to supply my power.

McT

The Humble Scot!
South Africa needs the CoCT to win on this one. The unholy stranglehold that Eskom has needs to be broken.

It's not a mystery. Government is investing billions in new plants. They need captive markets.
And therein lies the $$$$ in kickbacks that can and are being leveraged for themselves :mad:

McT

The Humble Scot!
South Africa needs the CoCT to win on this one. The unholy stranglehold that Eskom has needs to be broken.

And therein lies the $$$$ in kickbacks that can and are being leveraged for themselves :mad:

system32

Expert Member
Not sure why City of Cape Town (or any other city) needs permission.
Previously, it was quite common for cities to generate some of their own electricity.

It's good for the consumer if cities can get their electricity from IPP - nothing like a bit of competition to get Eskom in line.

ashfaak

Not sure why City of Cape Town (or any other city) needs permission.
Previously, it was quite common for cities to generate some of their own electricity.

It's good for the consumer if cities can get their electricity from IPP - nothing like a bit of competition to get Eskom in line.
They already generate their own electricity. The distinction here is purchasing from an IPP.