Cape Town e-toll is different: SANRAL

deweyzeph

Executive Member
They've obviously given up on the idea of using tags and opted for toll gates because hardly anyone in Gauteng has bought etags and it's a lot harder to boycott a toll if you have to pass through a toll-gate.

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
HOW... dA FUC!? Do they plan to start tolling roads in a city that is against it? Who paid for these roads?

The Cape Town project will be what they call a PPP. Somebody is going to bid on the road, will have to pay for maintenance (these are 100% existing roads btw, nothing new is built except t[r]oll gates) and get the right to the toll income for 30 years.

Sounds to me like the main goal of SANRAL itself is to use as little tax money and petrol levy on the actual maintenance of roads as possible. And to think the total petrol levy collected in SA must be astronomical! Note that up to 2008 when SANRAL was started the roadsworks had racked up over R4bn in debt! This is the same bloody thing as Eskom R350bn worth of debt and now we have to pay them more and upgrades are being paid for out of public funds anyway.

Gosh... Wonder what they want to actually use the money for... -_-

Graaaaaaavyyyyyyyyyy!

I mean dammit man the CT roads in question have just gone through years of massive upgrades and maintenance (supposedly for the 2010 soccer world cup...) and now some private company get's to toll these shiny new roads for 30 years while maybe having to perform major maintenance on them once or twice in that time. Sounds like a blerrie cushy deal to me.

I'm sure this bloody government would install taps in our wallets if it could. And oh yeah... 60% of routine maintenance must go to BBBEE partners. Hmm... The whole thing is starting to make more sense now -_- But I ask what is the bloody point if poor black people will have to pay as well. Even taxi owners will have to raise their prices. This is not a BBBEE project. It is a FCBEE (Fat Cat Black Economic Empowerment) project. Sorry, but it's true. Too bad the poor can't see it.

Last edited:

Tinuva

The Magician
You do know the taxis are exempt from etoll right? Unless it has changed since the last time I read up on it. Worst case scenario they get massive discount on it.

marine1

Honorary Master
You do know the taxis are exempt from etoll right? Unless it has changed since the last time I read up on it. Worst case scenario they get massive discount on it.

Of course they are as if the gvt made them pay, there would be chaos, mass protests and the gvt would lose

Hashishim786

These people want to be like UK and rest of the world! Once Gauteng goes through they now starting with CT, next Durban:/ *******S!

You know it would be fine if they had a proper MASS TRANSIT SYSTEM in place that is SAFE, CLEAN, AND EFFICIENT. Like the rest of the world instead of minibus taxi's and broken down old buses that stink of stench.

They forcing us to use the mass transit when there is none that is affordable. BLEH Give up with this Government.

Intell1gence

Cape town private etoll camera poles

Is it just me, or is everyone missing the elephant in the room?

I don't understand why no was moaning or even just questioning the fact that someone was erecting 10m+ high surveillance poles on our roads. On the roadside next to the N1, between cape town and worcester, and on the N2, between cape town and somerset west you can see these things every few km (as one looses sight of you, another takes over).

I've mentioned it before: Thread: E-tags rolling out to other provinces but no one seems to care, until it's too late that is.

Here's some off google street view (this is old pictures, probably taken before the 2010 WC, each one now has multiple cameras running on solar as well as wind power)

(seems as though the links to the images only show up when you are logged in, wonder why? :confused:)

Why doesn't anyone report on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Report what?

Today a truck lost a bunch of bricks on the N1. The sooner that gets spotted the better for everyone. Monitor every square inch by all means - its just the pay multiple times model that pisses me off ( pay once to build it, pay multiple times to use it).

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Is it just me, or is everyone missing the elephant in the room?

I don't understand why no was moaning or even just questioning the fact that someone was erecting 10m+ high surveillance poles on our roads. On the roadside next to the N1, between cape town and worcester, and on the N2, between cape town and somerset west you can see these things every few km (as one looses sight of you, another takes over).

I've mentioned it before: Thread: E-tags rolling out to other provinces but no one seems to care, until it's too late that is.

Here's some off google street view (this is old pictures, probably taken before the 2010 WC, each one now has multiple cameras running on solar as well as wind power)

(seems as though the links to the images only show up when you are logged in, wonder why? :confused:)

Because there is nothing to moan about, it is just a traffic management/monitoring system. :erm:

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Is it just me, or is everyone missing the elephant in the room? ... Why doesn't anyone report on this?

NOTHING to do with tolling. The systems you are referring to forms part of the Freeway Management System (FMS) which is a project that started before the 2010 WC and is a joint venture between the City of Cape Town, Western Cape Government, and SANRAL.

AS you know this City and Provincial Government is against tolling, so how can they be part of the FMS project if it was about tolling?

The FMS project is a massive success. Over 80% of incidents that occur on the freeways are FIRST detected by the system and its operators ... before the 082 911 calls start.

Tolling is something completely different and its cameras are placed and used differently.

kaaskop

Expert Member
What about traffic jams? Sometimes it take 1 1/2 hours to get to Cape Town from Paarl.

Gonna be chaos imo.

wetkit

Expert Member
Biggest single problem with the e-toll is that the companies that is doing the collections is mostly based outside of SA.
Also only 10c or so of every R1 collected is supposedly comming back to SA. The rest is used for admin and such :(

Dryad

What about traffic jams? Sometimes it take 1 1/2 hours to get to Cape Town from Paarl.

Gonna be chaos imo.
I think this is one of the reasons the City is/was using in their case.

To avoid the tolls people are going to use the back roads, causing major traffic congestions on roads not meant to carry this amount of traffic. The increased traffic will result in increased maintenance on non-tolled roads, costs will escalate and the tolls will not contribute to these costs. The city will have to obtain the funding in some way, so guess who is going to pay, us, the same people having to pay tolls.

Budza

Executive Member
Biggest single problem with the e-toll is that the companies that is doing the collections is mostly based outside of SA.
Also only 10c or so of every R1 collected is supposedly comming back to SA. The rest is used for admin and such :(

**** sanral.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
I think this is one of the reasons the City is/was using in their case.

To avoid the tolls people are going to use the back roads, causing major traffic congestions on roads not meant to carry this amount of traffic. The increased traffic will result in increased maintenance on non-tolled roads, costs will escalate and the tolls will not contribute to these costs. The city will have to obtain the funding in some way, so guess who is going to pay, us, the same people having to pay tolls.

The alternative to paying toll is to use road networks belonging to the City of Cape Town and the Western Cape Government ("Province"). These two governmental institutions do not have the CAPEX - and especially not OPEX - funding to deal with the consequences. SANRAL and their partners do not want to share the income with these two entities to cover the consequential costs. The toll compay wants profits, and SANRAL needs money. They feel nothing for what tolling will do to the bank accounts of the City and Province. They don't care about the increase in taxes that the City will have to implement to cover the CAPEX and OPEX implications. Who's got money these days to build new/extra roads (which requires very expensive things like buying-up property and demolishing structure ... and not to even go to the community reactions that will result in a change in land use)?

This can NEVER be allowed to happen. But watch ... the ANC government wants to see Cape Town fail and will throw in all their weight and money to get this eff-up implemented just to make a statement about who runs whom.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
The communities in and around Cape Town must write to their political representatives - and/or the Mayor of Cape Town - to state that they do not support tolling by SANRAL. This is a time when the community MUST raise their voices and make sure they are heard. Not when the toll stuff is already up, but before any construction starts.

PSN

i agree that its has to be stopped before the ball gets rolling.

The communities in and around Cape Town must write to their political representatives - and/or the Mayor of Cape Town - to state that they do not support tolling by SANRAL. This is a time when the community MUST raise their voices and make sure they are heard. Not when the toll stuff is already up, but before any construction starts.