Cape Town metering system problems could lead to higher water bills

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Quite convenient that they want you to pay the bill, no questions asked, when we know that the estimated bill will almost certainly be significantly higher as it is based on last year's consumption over the same period (not to mention the huge increase in water tariffs recently).

RedViking

Nord of the South
Maybe Ramaporche will come save you guys, just believe in him.... /s

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Could = already has!

What a monumental f***up in the middle of water restrictions...

mister

Executive Member
Well at least they don't have to worry about their water being cut off

akescpt

Honorary Master
why are they insisting on carrying on with the roll out when its just a **** up for all to see?

they stop working for us when they changed that slogan. would be interesting to know why they changed course.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The City works against us. Warn us, and tell us to pay, on their own technical error. Did they trial the system, had it in a test environment? Disputes, especially when it comes to money may take some time or continues postponement to resolve. This does seem like extortion.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I certainly won't pay the full amount - I'll pay based on my reading.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Jirre, for a roll-out of this magnitude, some margin for errors and failures is surely not unreasonable. And if people would be receiving estimated readings based on previous readings, how much more could it be? It surely is not as if someone would suddenly receive a water bill R20k more than usual?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Jirre, for a roll-out of this magnitude, some margin for errors and failures is surely not unreasonable. And if people would be receiving estimated readings based on previous readings, how much more could it be? It surely is not as if someone would suddenly receive a water bill R20k more than usual?
To quote,

As of 1 January 2018, the City moved from a third party electronic platform to an in-house electronic interface system for the uploading of monthly water meter readings. Since this move, there have been technical challenges with uploading meter readings to the new system. As a result, some customers will receive estimated bills although their meter was read. Customers across the City will be affected.

Please note that estimated bills are currently based on consumption for the same period in the previous year. For example, a meter estimate for January 2018 is based on the actual usage of January 2017.
Us Capetonians has moved through several restrictions since January 2017, lowering our consumption up to this day.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
To quote,

Us Capetonians has moved through several restrictions since January 2017, lowering our consumption up to this day.
Yes, I did read. So my water bill is now R125 more on average than it always was, since we no longer get free 6kl of water. Score?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Just to add,

From 1 March 2018, estimated accounts will be based on average consumption at the property for the previous three months.
There is a scenario that the error may reoccur in February’s electronic input where last year’s February estimate will be taken, this when punitive charges have kicked in on February 1st.

I do wonder whether they may have errored on ‘actual’ submitted readings by the property owners as well?

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
As a matter of interest, if someone gets an estimated reading and an actual reading, what is the difference in amount due?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
As a matter of interest, if someone gets an estimated reading and an actual reading, what is the difference in amount due?

Well - if you used 18kl in January 2017 - you'd pay about R1854.35 now, instead of R287.31
- for your 6kl - 6.5x more.

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Yes, I did read. So my water bill is now R125 more on average than it always was, since we no longer get free 6kl of water. Score?
How much water did you use in January 2017 compared to January 2018? I guess less than 6kl going by your post, how about other larger households in the CoCT?