Cape Town metering system problems could lead to higher water bills

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
How much water did you use in January 2017 compared to January 2018? I guess less than 6kl going by your post, how about other larger households in the CoCT?
Honestly, besides using shower water for the toilets (house has 3 toilets), my water usage has not changed much. I don't have a garden, only a palm tree which does not require water, a koi pond with some plants around it, and two tree ferns. No grass. Household of 2.

EDIT: I live in a complex. Probably makes a difference, but so many people live in complexes as well these days.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Honestly, besides using shower water for the toilets (house has 3 toilets), my water usage has not changed much. I don't have a garden, only a palm tree which does not require water, a koi pond with some plants around it, and two tree ferns. No grass. Household of 2.

EDIT: I live in a complex. Probably makes a difference, but so many people live in complexes as well these days.
It is the property owners who has drastically brought their water usage down at their own expense who will be punished.

Municipal investigations when queried is a bitch to deal with.

xrapidx

Honorary Master

Updated the calc - quite a few people live in houses, such as myself - and I'm certainly not paying for the cities mistakes, and then having to fight for my money back while they work out their issues.

R1500 is almost a tank of petrol for the month.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
It is the property owners who has drastically brought their water usage down at their own expense who will be punished.

Municipal investigations when queried is a bitch to deal with.
Fair point. But somewhere along the line, you will receive a bill of which the amount overcharged has been subtracted? And, even with a household of 4, does something like this equate to amounts in the thousands?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Updated the calc - quite a few people live in houses, such as myself - and I'm certainly not paying for the cities mistakes, and then having to fight for my money back while they work out their issues.

Funny though, this error by the CoCT metering system is clearly due to poor IT policy and the practice thereof. Just by the show of it, it is clear to me that their system lacked 'business' continuety and that their strategy to recify it is to fall back on the third-party's data.

akescpt

Honorary Master
Fair point. But somewhere along the line, you will receive a bill of which the amount overcharged has been subtracted? And, even with a household of 4, does something like this equate to amounts in the thousands?
with the new punitive rates who knows how much you will end up paying. this has happened to me in the past. when they reversed that charge i didn't pay any bills for months. but water was much cheaper then.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Funny though, this error by the CoCT metering system is clearly due to poor IT policy and the practice thereof. Just by the show of it, it is clear to me that their system lacked 'business' continuety and that their strategy to recify it is to fall back on the third-party's data.
Yeah, just like the water crisis, it takes one fckup for everyone to become an expert on the matter.

zizebra

I have been fighting CCT since January. I dont buy their story. I think they are raising funds using this scheme. My December and January bill were estimates. They have made two corrections already and both correction seems to make the situation worse. The person who helped explain the invoices yesterday tried his best to explain. But he could not explain for me why they ended up charging me R2000 more, when my usage has gone down by more than 50% in the same period.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
An absolute disgrace!

A failed metering system, ignores readings sent in by residents and values entered for read meters, uses year-old data "to allow for seasonal variations", after a massive increase in the tariffs in the middle of austerity measures, and simply tries to load residents with possible huge cash flow problems. Then expects residents to complain before suspending "debt management measures"

I hope all residents put up huge fight! My family has already laid official complaints with the Council and with their Ward representatives.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
As the CoCT stated:

Where residents receive estimated bills, the City recommends that they settle the account as they would normally. If the estimate is higher than the actual usage then their account will be adjusted appropriately the next time the actual meter reading is captured. In cases where estimated consumption far exceeds actual consumption, and residents are unable to afford the bill, they can approach the City’s call centre or their closest walk-in centre to request an investigation. Debt management will be suspended until the investigation is resolved.
A lot of when’s and if’s in the above statement. The municipality is as bad as dealing with individual cases as the police is with dockets, that is why they recommend the accounts to be settled. The suspension of debt management is a mere delay of things to come, the outcome of the investigation which may take some time which has all the risk and no reward for the account holder.

They are quick to remind us,

Residents should also please note that estimated readings could affect their green dot status on the City’s Water Map. Residents who have had their consumption estimated will rather be given a grey dot reflecting that no data exists for consumption on the property. Whilst this will cause some disappointment, it is important that we all continue to do our best to save water.
Those punished will be more the like of people with swimming pools, gardens, etc. many whom have put measures in place to use recycled or collected water for redundancy in saving ‘municipal’ water. We must compare our lifestyle of January 2017 to January 2018 to see how this matter may reflect on us.

biometrics

Honorary Master

Have you got a long range tank?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
As the CoCT stated:

A lot of when’s and if’s in the above statement. The municipality is as bad as dealing with individual cases as the police is with dockets, that is why they recommend the accounts to be settled. The suspension of debt management is a mere delay of things to come, the outcome of the investigation which may take some time which has all the risk and no reward for the account holder.

They are quick to remind us,

Those punished will be more the like of people with swimming pools, gardens, etc. many whom have put measures in place to use recycled or collected water for redundancy in saving ‘municipal’ water. We must compare our lifestyle of January 2017 to January 2018 to see how this matter may reflect on us.
Makes a complete joke of their appeal for residents to "read their own meters" as even if you submit the readings these could be simply ignored and over written by the estimation method.

Only justifiable response from CoCT is to use the last reading that was taken as the value for future months until they fix the mess, and to NOT take any action against anyone for not paying their bills until the system works again.

What we need is an enterprising legal firm to get a court interdict against the council .... Any takers ???

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Yeah, just like the water crisis, it takes one fckup for everyone to become an expert on the matter.
As of 1 January 2018, the City moved from a third party electronic platform to an in-house electronic interface system for the uploading of monthly water meter readings. Since this move, there have been technical challenges with uploading meter readings to the new system.
They took the responsibility onto themselves. What happened to last month's water readings that they must use last year's estimates, where are the data sets? Why don't they continue with the third-party system, alongside the new system, until they have can migrate over to their in-house system seamlessly. See how they are dealing with disaster management which they call a techincal challenge?