Cape Town ratepayers fume over City’s fixed levies on top of their usual bills

C4Cat

Honorary Master
Was in Cape Town last week for business.... was very impressed at how well run, clean and organised the city was. No sign of any trash, roads are painted and well maintained. Visible policing in many places, shopping and tourism was booming. In comparison Durban and Joburg are dirty $h!tholes. So my advice to Capetonians is... enjoy it.
Where about in Cape Town were you? Probably wealthier, tourist areas, I would guess?

Executive Member
Waiting for the levy on levies.

I can see it now "the managing and collecting of these levies needs a whole team and project onto itself, we need to fund this and thus putting in a levy on your levies. Each levy you receive will have a management fee of R10 excluding VAT"

DeSLAM

Since when did maintenance and expansion of infrastructure only start after fixed levies were added? :p
Stop believing that balderdash.

Its not like things were not maintained when water for example was a lot less costly. A cost only inflated by the municipality.

Maintenance and new infrastructure was done in Cape Town - long before anyone dreamt up a new tax...that only paying customers pay for - plus 15% VAT.

Stop believing everything you read and swallowing narratives by City spin doctors.

The price of the first 6Kl of water you consume in Cape Town has gone up by just short of 200% in 6 years.

Let that sink in.

zolly

Expert Member
Since when did maintenance and expansion of infrastructure only start after fixed levies were added? :p
Stop believing that balderdash.

Its not like things were not maintained when water for example was a lot less costly. A cost only inflated by the municipality.

Maintenance and new infrastructure was done in Cape Town - long before anyone dreamt up a new tax...that only paying customers pay for - plus 15% VAT.

Stop believing everything you read and swallowing narratives by City spin doctors.

The price of the first 6Kl of water you consume in Cape Town has gone up by just short of 200% in 6 years.

Let that sink in.

You may have not heard of this drought we had for 4 years. Or the simple reality that we get less water than we used to and this has increasingly been the case since the 90s (according to a friend of mine who farms out in Caledon). Or the fact that most people have changed their water consumption habits because of the drought and continue to maintain their good habits for the most part.

Thinking that our water supply systems should operate and be billed the way they did back in the 2010s is a bit backward.

eehellfire

Honorary Master
“We left our income streams at risk. If we didn’t have a fixed component then people would end up paying very little, even wealthy residents.”
Linky
Errr... except for the municipal property taxes which are also levied monthly?

Currantly

Expert Member
Thinking that our water supply systems should operate and be billed the way they did back in the 2010s is a bit backward.

Will you be saying the same thing about in the 2030s wrt to billing in the 2020s? That's where we're heading, right?

DeSLAM

The drought is over - the dams cant get fuller than they are.

If the present storage capacity of the Cape Town River System dams cannot see Cape Town through at pre drought tariffs, without fixed levies; and without water restrictions this summer - let me put it to you in simple language.

The problem lies elsewhere. If the maximum supply capacity of CTRS is inadequate - the REAL problem was man made by the municipality themselves. And now water is being used coercively to fill the piggy bank to fund off budget projects, and what they feel they should get paid now. At any cost to the paying consumer.

Fresh water does not belong to the state - read the Water Act. It is merely entrusted to the state to manage in distribution and supply infrastructure we paid for long ago. And the maintenance we paid for was included in the water price BEFORE they started implementing a "supply levy" (call it by whatever name you want to - its a new tax on water). And the 2014 tariff was adequate to maintain water infrastructure very well...without the new levy.

New supply and distribution infrastructure in new suburbs are paid for by the new rate payers that move in there.

Attachments

• rn-2chart.png
    rn-2chart.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 30
  • skp.jpg
    skp.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Someone should be a lamb and post their statement.
2.5 Availability Charges

The following availability charges shall be payable in respect where service are available:

(a) For vacant residential stands; R351.46 per month per stand
(b) For unoccupied improved residential stands; R351.46 per month per stand
(c) For improved occupied residential stands where no water supplied by Council is being consumed for any reason, including, but not restricted to stands using borehole water; R351.46 per month per stand
(d) Per occupied unmetered residential stands R351.46 per month per stand

The following charges shall be payable in respect of land having a drainage installation thereon which is connected to Johannesburg Water’s sewer network:

(a) Erf size up to and including 300 m² R 228.06
(b) Erf size from 301 m² to 1 000 m² R 443.96
(c) Erf size from 1 001 m² to 2 000 m² R 671.63
(d) Erf size larger than 2 000 m² R 967.71

1603973555950.png
Embedded generators are not allowed to feed in more than they consume, and they need to be on an 80A TOU tariff structure:
1603973679597.png

1603973704987.png
1603973742122.png

All ex vat.

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
You may have not heard of this drought we had for 4 years. Or the simple reality that we get less water than we used to and this has increasingly been the case since the 90s (according to a friend of mine who farms out in Caledon). Or the fact that most people have changed their water consumption habits because of the drought and continue to maintain their good habits for the most part.

So we pay them more so that they can order (from Bon Aqua?) or produce some water for us?
LOL. Get lost.

They pleaded poverty and used reduced income from water usage as an excuse to hit us with their levy. But very conveniently ignored it all and gave their executives massive increases and had fancy schmancy new buildings built during a time of poverty... (Belville building for example).

Voetsek!

Arthur

Honorary Master
a pipe levy :ROFL: :cautious:
Hehe.

My local council charges a R360/month excl VAT Amp Levy ("Ampeerheffing") over and above the electricity charge.

Edit: Just checked. It's now R389.16.

And here in the WC we pay a "Riool paaiement" per WC. Mine's now R1008.94 eVAT.

utilitybill.jpg

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master

I'm pretty sure he also doesn't want want to pay data bundles prices from 2010 :ROFL:. Things change.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Errr... except for the municipal property taxes which are also levied monthly?

That pays for your local roads (they don't get all funds required from National for that) and other things, except if you'd prefer a levy for road usage levy say in return for reduced property taxes?

eehellfire

Honorary Master
That pays for your local roads (they don't get all funds required from National for that) and other things, except if you'd prefer a levy for road usage levy say in return for reduced property taxes?
I pay fuel levies for road upkeep

xrapidx

Honorary Master

How about a levy where everyone pays the same? Why must my property taxes be considerably more than a neighbour because I look after my property? We use the same services, and drive the same roads.