Cape Town ratepayers fume over City’s fixed levies on top of their usual bills

signates

Executive Member
All they need is a rate payer revolt once people can self provision their own water and electricity. What would they do if one million residents refused to pay and they had no leverage such as cutting off water and electricity?
No need to revolt. I self provision both water and electricity and shaved R4k of my monthly CoCT bill.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Next up:
Levy for looking at mountain
Levy to go to the beach
Surcharge on additional levy
Administration fee for surcharge..
and your TV licence :confused:

I was looking at my bill the other day. I pay a levy for prepaid meter and another for not having prepaid.

and I don't have prepaid !

WTF is going on.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
and your TV licence :confused:

I was looking at my bill the other day. I pay a levy for prepaid meter and another for not having prepaid.

and I don't have prepaid !

WTF is going on.
Damned if you do and damned of you don't.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Won't just be CoCT squeezing in these extra costs everywhere, we will soon see a lot more "stealth" taxes being introduced everywhere to help line the coffers of the government wherever possible. Vehicle licensing admin fees, water meter reading fees, electricity reading fees, private doctor/hospital admin fees etc etc etc

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Then you should probably raise a dispute?!
I don't have the energy but will have to take it up with them.

I can't believe either are legal. I absolutely don't want prepaid and don't believe I should be penalised for that.

jones123

Was in Cape Town last week for business.... was very impressed at how well run, clean and organised the city was. No sign of any trash, roads are painted and well maintained. Visible policing in many places, shopping and tourism was booming. In comparison Durban and Joburg are dirty $h!tholes. So my advice to Capetonians is... enjoy it.
You obviously did not visit the suburbs where no maintanance is happening except for the touristy affluent areas

itareaninotanl

Expert Member
Since when did maintenance and expansion of infrastructure only start after fixed levies were added? :p
Stop believing that balderdash.

Its not like things were not maintained when water for example was a lot less costly. A cost only inflated by the municipality.

Maintenance and new infrastructure was done in Cape Town - long before anyone dreamt up a new tax...that only paying customers pay for - plus 15% VAT.

Stop believing everything you read and swallowing narratives by City spin doctors.

The price of the first 6Kl of water you consume in Cape Town has gone up by just short of 200% in 6 years.

Let that sink in.

I should be so lucky. The price of mine went up from R14/month to R800+/month for the 1st KL.
Thats quite a bit more than your 200% in 6 years.

50mm pipe fee's are outrageous. Still waiting for them to get back to me about reducing it to a normal size (used to be a game farm, so was originally a large feed). We're residential, so don't need a 50mm - a 20mm would be sufficient.

Solarion

Honorary Master
It's actually deteriorated over the last few years. Places aren't as clean as they used to be. If this is what impresses you and it's currently not that impressive, then Durban and Joburg must be horrible.

Average day in Durban.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member

Massive Abstract Corruption-(Forget about all the old form of corruption you ever knew about, those were all analogue and paper slow and monetary systems could tolerated them, however this one is a cancer, poorly understood, extremely parasitic), an abstract trend of the last 30 years, now running rampant. This came from Europe 35 years ago, got slowly digitally embedded in systems, digital was the key, analogue was too slow.

It will take some serious Political deep understanding and will worldwide to turn this around. Political ideology is irrelavant.

The Service/Product becomes a MEDIUM to channel money between normal profit and normal expenditure, forget about inflation it has no meaning anymore, the individual becomes a monetary pump, all in, all out quickly.

Last edited:

D tj

Expert Member
The DA's concept of budgeting appears to be, contrary to what they say, NO Different from the ANC's..."rape and steal" more from the people they proclaim they "serve" by adding new taxes.....Toll tax > Water tax etc.
Motto: This City "rapes", "steals" from, or serves you. Which is it in truth???

Their task is to become more efficient and budget appropriately. Wise uses of the resources at their disposal.

koeks525

Expert Member
Just more ways for CoCT to gouge more money out of its residents. The level of service delivery you get really depends where you live in the city; if you got money and live in the "burbs", you will live a good life. If you are broke and living in the gutters of Cape Town, expect very little cares to be given.

koeks525

Expert Member
Many parts of Cape Town look like that too. Cape Town isn't just Camps Bay and the Waterfront, Durban isn't just the Golden Mile.

Yip.

Woodstock and Mowbray remind me so much of Oxford Street in East London. Same mess.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Just more ways for CoCT to gouge more money out of its residents. The level of service delivery you get really depends where you live in the city; if you got money and live in the "burbs", you will live a good life. If you are broke and living in the gutters of Cape Town, expect very little cares to be given.
Tell that to Vredehoek and the Atlantic Seaboard.

koeks525

Expert Member
Tell that to Vredehoek and the Atlantic Seaboard.

Is Vredehoek not getting what they paying for now?

Thought Vredehoek was one of the classy areas of CPT - was living there in 2019, in the famous "tampon towers" and it was lovely living there (friendly people, etc).

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Is Vredehoek not getting what they paying for now?

Thought Vredehoek was one of the classy areas of CPT - was living there in 2019, in the famous "tampon towers" and it was lovely living there (friendly people, etc).
Filled with homeless people who rob and burgle all of the time. Many are moving out.