Cape Town Sevens: 12/13 December 2015

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
+1
Is he a racist? Cannot determine that just knowing he called the player a baboon. I grew up being called a bobbejaan if I did something stupid or pissed my parents off.

If he an Arsehole? He got my vote for that yes.

Context is key.

MyBBOutkast

Banned
Senatla was asked to respond to a comment from USA captain Madison Hughes, who earlier in the week said that no side on the circuit had quicker players than American fliers Perry Baker and Carlin Isles.

And Senatla agreed. "They are quite phenomenal. They are very fast," he said. "Those types of players, if you let them take the outside gap they are going to punish you … they were athletes before. I don’t argue with that … they are quicker than me."
Habana vs Senatla vs Chavhanga?

[video=youtube;r1g6Oeyx1Q8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1g6Oeyx1Q8[/video]

zeb

Expert Member
He played for a total of 35 minutes over this weekend...

(5+0+5+10+9+6)
My comment was made after the 10 minutes play time :)
And because he got very little game play the weekend before as well.

Context is key.
Exactly. If he also called Kyle Brown a baboon on the numerous occasions he couldn't master a ball from the kickoff, then nothing was meant by the Senatla comment.
No boers or farmers should be killed, or their killing advocated, because of this so called "racist incident by an Afrikaaner"

Galactica

Expert Member
Racist attack mars Cape Town Sevens

Cape Town - A racist attack has marred an otherwise largely successful HSBC World Rugby Sevens tournament in Cape Town.

Apart from complaints about long queues for beer and the bathrooms, the inaugural Cape Town Sevens was a memorable success.

Except for one fan.

Don Johnstone was enjoying the action on Saturday at the Cape Town Stadium when he overhead a fellow spectator refer to Blitzboks flyer Seabelo Senatla as a "baboon" after the wing dropped the ball in the Pool B match against Kenya (which the Blitzboks lost 14-12).

Johnstone confronted the man, telling him he was racist and that there is no room for such behaviour in South Africa.

That spectator - and his son - then threatened Johnstone and "asked him to step outside".

Johnstone refused, but at the final whistle matters once again became heated and a fight broke out.
Link.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
More attack following racist comment than racist attack if they're both the same race ne?

Dave

Honorary Master
More attack following racist comment than racist attack if they're both the same race ne?

You are right.

Also.why did he try and reprimand the person making the remarks? That's what they pay stewards for, he should have just reported the incident to the nearest steward.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Also.why did he try and reprimand the person making the remarks? That's what they pay stewards for, he should have just reported the incident to the nearest steward.

And then?

After the fight was broken up, they left and I asked the steward why he was allowed to leave after he assaulted me, but there was no answer,”

What will the stewards do about it if they can't even stop the participants of fights from just leaving?

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Somebody wants to be in the news after he got klapped at the rugby. Shame. Now the media can get their anti white frenzy for today going.

konfab

Honorary Master
I bet the spectator in question wouldn't say it to the player's face.

That is about the only thing I would tell someone if I heard them say it. Calling it racism is a bit of a stretch and is likely to cause a fight.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
That must have been Don Johnstone's first time at a live sport event.

It is no secret that stadium stands can be hostile and no, this isn't unique to South Africa. Not condoning anything that is said, but you find some of society's finest in a stadium.

Cloudster

Expert Member
Somebody wants to be in the news after he got klapped at the rugby. Shame. Now the media can get their anti white frenzy for today going.

Funny how the matter just gets completely ignored... If I tell someone that racism has no place in South Africa and they want to get into a physical fight with me, then they are racist. It is as simple as that.. they are racist and got physical with someone because they ARE RACIST.

The sooner people start fessing up to this the better.

What would the reaction be if it were the other way around? Outrage from you.

The only way to move forward is to be equally outraged at racist incidents no matter which race is being racist to which. You condone white on black racism but would be outraged at black on white racism. This not only makes you racist but part of the massive problem we have in this country. Let me guess.. a Donald Trump supporter for the American elections?

You are right.

Exactly. And when you get klapped why boast about it? Go crawl under a rock

MyBBOutkast

Banned
lol, people still playing the denial game about whether calling black people monkeys is racist?
why did he try and reprimand the person making the remarks? That's what they pay stewards for, he should have just reported the incident to the nearest steward.
Don Johnstone should refrain from confronting such people otherwise he'll have a two bashed up eyes pretty much every rugby game he attends. With the new transformation demands, such behaviour from fans is only going to get worse. I've been attending rugby matches for several years and I've never gone through a single quarter of a match (school, club, currie cup, super rugby or international) without hearing something. I stopped reacting long ago. We're pretty big built in my family but so none have exactly made physical threats, but it's not worth it. I'm increasingly attending less&less matches over the years. many relatives, friends, colleagues etc have vowed to never set foot at a rugby match in South Africa again.

MickeyD

RIP
Don Johnstone should refrain from confronting such people otherwise he'll have a two bashed up eyes pretty much every rugby game he attends. With the new transformation demands, such behaviour from fans is only going to get worse. I've been attending rugby matches for several years and I've never gone through a single quarter of a match (school, club, currie cup, super rugby or international) without hearing something. I stopped reacting long ago. We're pretty big built in my family but so none have exactly made physical threats, but it's not worth it. I'm increasingly attending less&less matches over the years. many relatives, friends, colleagues etc have vowed to never set foot at a rugby match in South Africa again.

And what happens at local rugby matches in your area?

Dave

Honorary Master
And then?

What will the stewards do about it if they can't even stop the participants of fights from just leaving?

The stewards should be trained in either handling the matter (at least kicking the person out) or getting the police to intervene if considered necessary, it isn't up to other spectators to start trying to police the conduct of spectators who might shout something they disapprove of.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The stewards should be trained in either handling the matter (at least kicking the person out) or getting the police to intervene if considered necessary, it isn't up to other spectators to start trying to police the conduct of spectators who might shout something they disapprove of.

Cape Town Stadium has its own police station with lockup and surveillance centre, they have stationed police members and hired security within the complex perimeters. The stewards only need to radio in the occurrence and it will be attended with.

ponder

Honorary Master
Cape Town Stadium has its own police station with lockup and surveillance centre, they have stationed police members and hired security within the complex perimeters. The stewards only need to radio in the occurrence and it will be attended with.

Sound like a heavy place!

Seriously

Honorary Master
Habana vs Senatla vs Chavhanga?

[video=youtube;r1g6Oeyx1Q8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1g6Oeyx1Q8[/video]

Seems to me some can claim the commentator was also racist when he said " Look at this boy go" at 1:27..... ?

Seems from a standstill habana nearly had him.

Last edited:

zeb

Expert Member
Got to have somewhere to put all the alcoholic drunken supporters who cause fights :p
You're probably right. It definitely won't be to prevent anyone from raiding the trophy cabinet... :p