Cape Town the most congested city in SA: TomTom

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Joburgers on average will cut their delay time caused by congestion in half if they take the highway as opposed to a secondary road.

Effect of the toll roads?

Effect of the toll roads?

No just Gautengers ridiculous notion that ''back roads'' are quicker... I have no idea why so many of you think that way, yes when the highway is a ballsup you're completely screwed but the vast majority of the time it's not yet you still drive ridiculous round about routes full of stop signs and robots??

Baxteen

Honorary Master
I dont understand.

all this really shows is CT people still use TomTom to drive to work where the Average Joburger has figured out how to get to work and back without turning on the GPS.

also who the hell uses TomTom still? if you dont have a smartphone with navigation, or an Apple for that matter you should be using a Garmin, it wont take you through JHB central when you could take the highway around.

I will honestly never use a TomTom, no matter how much you update them, google maps will just take you a better way 100% of the time.

the data is irrelevant. due to it coming from TomTom only. if this was aggregated between Google Maps, Garmin and Tom Tom, as well as reliable traffic reporting sites it might mean something.

garp

Executive Member
It would be interesting to know how evenly distributed the congestion is across each city. I have a feeling this is a little misleading, because, while Cape Town might be statistically the most congested, this is probably on a limited amount of bottleneck routes. If you live in the n/s suburbs and drive to work in the CBD every day, then yes, traffic is very bad along the highways approaching town, but if you work in any other area, it's not bad at all. Joburg, however, seems to be consistently congested everywhere, albeit at a possibly lesser level than the Cape Town flashpoints.

Joburg traffic seems to be about moving between peripheral urban centres, while Cape Town is more of the traditional suburb to CBD traffic. It seems everyone in Joburg lives on the opposite side of the city to where they work. If you work in Edenvale, you live in Florida, if you live in Alberton, you work in Midrand, if you live in Bedfordview, you work in Randburg, etc, etc.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
It would be interesting to know how evenly distributed the congestion is across each city. I have a feeling this is a little misleading, because, while Cape Town might be statistically the most congested, this is probably on a limited amount of bottleneck routes. If you live in the n/s suburbs and drive to work in the CBD every day, then yes, traffic is very bad along the highways approaching town, but if you work in any other area, it's not bad at all. Joburg, however, seems to be consistently congested everywhere, albeit at a possibly lesser level than the Cape Town flashpoints.

Joburg traffic seems to be about moving between peripheral urban centres, while Cape Town is more of the traditional suburb to CBD traffic. It seems everyone in Joburg lives on the opposite side of the city to where they work. If you work in Edenvale, you live in Florida, if you live in Alberton, you work in Midrand, if you live in Bedfordview, you work in Randburg, etc, etc.

True, traffic in Cape Town is only really an issue if you commute into the CBD every day from the Northern or Southern Suburbs. Otherwise it's no where near as horrific as Joburg.

masontdk

sounds like an E-toll ad.

"Each South African city experiences more congestion on secondary roads than on highways.
Joburgers on average will cut their delay time caused by congestion in half if they take the highway as opposed to a secondary road.
On average, Capetonians will save 6 minutes for every hour during peak periods if they take the highway.
"

and I know E-Toll isn't everywhere yet.

phoneJunky

Executive Member

Most of the people I know drive at least 20km to work, so yes that might be true. But the worst traffic I ever sat in was from Durbanville to the CBD in Cape Town. And it seems to me that when you go underneath the West Coast road Capetonians just start to go crazy. Even the taxi drivers who seems mellow before that point.

])ragon_\/oid

Expert Member
Hmmm, ironic. I take the secondary roads to and from work. Since taking the secondary roads, I've saved time, and fuel. The N3/R24 option is just too congested. The highway option too anywhere from 45minutes to 2 hours, where the back roads take from 30 minutes to 45 minutes.

Chris14

Expert Member
Its a possible fact because this is already old news. it was mentioned a few months back.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The one problem with Cape Town is the geography. It's not spread out like Joburg and everything is hemmed in either by the mountain or the sea or both. There aren't many alternatives if you want to get from A to B. For example if you want to get from the Southern Suburbs to the CBD you really can only use the M3 freeway or Main Road (M4).

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I dont understand.

all this really shows is CT people still use TomTom to drive to work where the Average Joburger has figured out how to get to work and back without turning on the GPS.

also who the hell uses TomTom still? if you dont have a smartphone with navigation, or an Apple for that matter you should be using a Garmin, it wont take you through JHB central when you could take the highway around.

I will honestly never use a TomTom, no matter how much you update them, google maps will just take you a better way 100% of the time.

the data is irrelevant. due to it coming from TomTom only. if this was aggregated between Google Maps, Garmin and Tom Tom, as well as reliable traffic reporting sites it might mean something.
I think you are missing the point of the live traffic updates.
The people using tomtom dont need to know how to get to work, they use it to find out if there is heavy congestion *before* they are stuck on a certain route.

MacLindroid

I dont understand.

iPhone 5 and apparently also 5S have serious issues with GPS/Compass. Did you know that Cape Point is due NORTH of Cape Town CBD? And that Wellington is in the Atlantic ocean? Just ask my former iPhone 5!

We do not need GPS to get to work but TomTom is good in telling which route will be the "fastest."

Cape Town doesn't have sufficient roads but, even so, rush hour is much less congested than it was 30 years ago, simply because of decentralisation.

Devill

Damned
Most of the people I know drive at least 20km to work, so yes that might be true. But the worst traffic I ever sat in was from Durbanville to the CBD in Cape Town. And it seems to me that when you go underneath the West Coast road Capetonians just start to go crazy. Even the taxi drivers who seems mellow before that point.

You should have tried Blouberg to the CBD or Blouberg to Epping area.... Insanity I tell you.

battletoad

Expert Member
You should have tried Blouberg to the CBD or Blouberg to Epping area.... Insanity I tell you.

Yes, lets build Sunningdale and Parklands and have ONE lane going onto the N1. That bit of road from Bayside Mall into the CBD (17kms according to gmaps) took about 1.5-2 hours last I travelled from there.

PseudZ

Expert Member
Yes, lets build Sunningdale and Parklands and have ONE lane going onto the N1. That bit of road from Bayside Mall into the CBD (17kms according to gmaps) took about 1.5-2 hours last I travelled from there.

Won't it be quicker to use MyCiti?