Cape Town to Mantashe: Avoid 'costly litigation' by allowing municipalities to buy their own electricity

Currantly

The City of Cape Town has written to the minister of mineral resources and energy asking that it and other municipalities be permitted to buy electricity directly from independent power producers, avoiding a pending court case.

Acting mayor Ian Neilson said in a statement on Wednesday that if Mantashe is serious about implementing immediate measures to resolve the load shedding crisis he would agree to the city's request.

"We need immediate action now and Minister Gwede Mantashe needs to show leadership and put the wellbeing of South Africans and our economy first," Neilson said.

On Tuesday, in the wake of the implementation of stage 6 load shedding, the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy released a short statement saying it would be introducing "immediate measures" to increase access to energy supply. This included the promised promulgation of section 34 determinations.

The determinations refer to a section in energy law that states that the minister of energy, in consultation with the national electricity regulator, may determine if new generation capacity is needed, whether the private sector should be involved, and who should be allowed to buy the electricity. The department described the move as "an urgent and immediate task to ensure economic growth," but has not provided a time-frame for when the decisions would be made.
Linky

neoprema

Expert Member
What you're asking for Cape Town, is first-world power solutions that cannot be used to milk tax money and buy business class holidays for cronies and their families through squandering.

Sorry, but your chances are getting it are very very slim.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The article is new, but the story has been extensively covered in this thread:

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Good golly man, this should have been done ages ago!
I'm trying hard not to swear, but the stupidity of the people in charge is sometimes hard to measure.

zulucat

I can't see why Mantashe can't try this! Any help will do...

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Unions, they reckon nobody else must supply power even though they are kak at it.

Messugga

Honorary Master
Good golly man, this should have been done ages ago!
I'm trying hard not to swear, but the stupidity of the people in charge is sometimes hard to measure.
It's not stupidity, it's that hooking up IPPs goes against the agenda of the powers that be. They were using the power crisis to punt nuclear. With IPPs providing a good chunk of our power requirements, the case for nuclear would lose a lot of its luster.
There have been several projects either cancelled or severely delayed because Eskom wouldn't connect them to the grid in reasonable time.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
It's not stupidity, it's that hooking up IPPs goes against the agenda of the powers that be. They were using the power crisis to punt nuclear. With IPPs providing a good chunk of our power requirements, the case for nuclear would lose a lot of its luster.
There have been several projects either cancelled or severely delayed because Eskom wouldn't connect them to the grid in reasonable time.
Yeah but if I remember correctly the governments policy (think it was around the early 2000's) was actually to encourage IPPs and that is one of the excuses that they never added to ESKOM because they were counting on private entities to enter the market.

Did that all change? Was it never the case? I'm confused.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Yeah but if I remember correctly the governments policy (think it was around the early 2000's) was actually to encourage IPPs and that is one of the excuses that they never added to ESKOM because they were counting on private entities to enter the market.

Did that all change? Was it never the case? I'm confused.
That may have been true under Mbeki, but changed once the Zuptas figured out how much they could skim off Eskom contracts. Gotta protect the feeding trough...