Cape Town to use electric bicycles to fight crime

mh348

Expert Member
Price (ex. VAT): 8,380.00 EUR

Around 142 000 excluding taxes and shipping

Grant

Honorary Master
atlantic seaboard (waterfront to camps bay) is teeming with security on segways up and down 24hrs a day.
bicycles should work well

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Not convinced that is the most efficient use of taxpayer money, but at least they're trying.

access

Honorary Master
hmm whats the weight restriction on this?

70km/h with those little breaks...

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Difference between Cape Town and other cities. In Cape Town things get done, in other cities everyone complains.

FoXtroT

Expert Member
Waste of money I reckon, rather purchase 5x more standard bicycles for that price or if you want speed you can get some more decent motorbikes for less than that.

jetlee

Waste of money I reckon, rather purchase 5x more standard bicycles for that price or if you want speed you can get some more decent motorbikes for less than that.

Id think they may get some benefit to it being silent .. its probably easier to hide in the bush, when you can hear police coming .. I'm all for technology helping fight crime, although these seem expensive. If they eradicate crime in this problematic area, Id say its money well spent, and likely a signal to the rest of the public that law enforcement aren't sitting on their hands and letting criminals run riot.

Archer

Honorary Master

You really think that a normal pedal bicycle is better for patrolling Table Mountain and surrounds for the duration of a police officers shift? Every day... Especially when it is 30°C and up?

And a motorbike? I'm sure the residents and people going for hikes etc would just love hearing engines screaming up and down the mountain all day. It's about selecting the right tool for the job, and up in the trails I suspect these are far better. The scramblers can be left for other areas where noise is not such an issue (which you may note is part of their fleet)

Pitbull

Verboten
You really think that a normal pedal bicycle is better for patrolling Table Mountain and surrounds for the duration of a police officers shift? Every day... Especially when it is 30°C and up?

And a motorbike? I'm sure the residents and people going for hikes etc would just love hearing engines screaming up and down the mountain all day. It's about selecting the right tool for the job, and up in the trails I suspect these are far better. The scramblers can be left for other areas where noise is not such an issue (which you may note is part of their fleet)

Not all scramblers make a massive noise. If they have the standard exhaust system they are pretty quiet. Motorcycles would have been cheaper and more efficient. I'm sorry but this is all just about the "Going Green" hype. a complete waste of money seeing that you could have bought 2 very high end scrambles for that price. Damn even about 4 entry level ones which is better than the damn battery bicycle.

Archer

Honorary Master
Not all scramblers make a massive noise. If they have the standard exhaust system they are pretty quiet. Motorcycles would have been cheaper and more efficient. I'm sorry but this is all just about the "Going Green" hype. a complete waste of money seeing that you could have bought 2 very high end scrambles for that price. Damn even about 4 entry level ones which is better than the damn battery bicycle.

Pretty quiet is relative. It's still orders of magnitude above a bicycle or electric. The director does claim these are cost effective over their lifespan though. I personally find that hard to believe but we dont know what price they are actually paying (I've seen government deals at MSRP - 80%)

Still, would love to see an officer (or anyone for that matter) pedal up and down those trails all day long and claim to be effective throughout the shift.

Sebulba

Must say I don't mind them buying these bicycles, at least the money is being spent on something for the purposes of making the trails a bit safer, especially after the whole Tokai forest incident.

wilbur4Oce

The moderators might come chase me down by now after my comments on these ebike articles...

But I can't get over how expensive these bikes are. If anyone, including gov officials and business owners, are interested, our dudes over at http://bikelectric.co.za can convert almost anything into an electrical counterpart. Bring your own bicycle(s) and they'll convert it cost effectively.

Byron has even converted his old Uno into a fully electronic vehicle with digital display and all. Have a look http://facebook.com/bikelectricsa