Cape Town vs Pretoria – Wi-Fi roll-out plans

system32

Expert Member
“Instead of owning infrastructure, [-]Tshwane[/-] rate payers pays for a Wi-Fi service. The service is managed by a strict service level agreement. This alleviates the city of hiring people and staying abreast of one of the fastest moving technology curves in the world,” he added.
Sounds like AK/Project Isizwe/Hero Telecoms are making big profit from this project.

Why do we need WiFi when 3G/LTE already covers all of Tshwane.
Why not come to an agreement with Vodacom/MTN/Cell-C/Telkom to provide free 3G/LTE?

Last edited:

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Two different strategies. Either can work. Mini-AKC has a point that this is not the traditional domain of authorities.
However, I think (and please correct me) that CT rolled it out in conjunction with their fibre network, so they had to install the backbone to government buildings anyway. This was done in cooperation with private investors and service providers.

The proof of the pudding will be the actual cost of data provided over a year. In the case of Pta it will be number of GB's x rate. For CT it will be repayment on infrastructure, minus proportion used for government (municipal/provincial) use.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Sounds like AK/Project Isizwe/Hero Telecoms are making big profit from this project.

Why do we need WiFi when 3G/LTE already covers all of Tshwane.
Why not come to an agreement with Vodacom/MTN/Cell-C/Telkom to provide free 3G/LTE?
Yes, business should make profit, otherwise they will do something else.

I hope it was an open procurement process! The story states that spectrum is a problem.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
For R183 Million per year, I'm sure one of the MNOs would look at providing smal,l daily 'free' 3G bundles to the city of Tswane.....