Cape Town wants to increase the cost of liquor as part of stricter alcohol laws

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Gotta love the DA when they DA. **** scared of the gangs, yet masters of speed traps and other money making schemes.

garp

Executive Member
It seems that the DA is dissatisfied that the wine industry isn’t entirely dead yet. Although, I suppose it’s all in line with the global trend to totalitarianism, and there are so many areas of citizens’s lives that have not yet been sufficiently regulated (perhaps the libertarians have a point, after all).

noxibox

Honorary Master
Exactly. Maybe rather look at the helping cure the bad seads that mess it up for the rest of us.
Applies to drugs in general.

“This will make it more expensive to buy alcoholic beverages with higher alcohol percentages; an approach which evidence suggests can be effective in preventing binge drinking.”

Tsek.
I wonder what evidence that is. I've not known binge drinkers to be particularly concerned with alcohol percentages. As likely too is that those whose use is out of control will simply funnel the required money towards their drug habit. That'll mean less for anything else.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
It seems that the DA is dissatisfied that the wine industry isn’t entirely dead yet.

This would also have a major impact on a certain local Whisky producer from Wellington.
Especially some of their limited release editions bottled at 51% avb :mad:

Kola_CT

In our area the binge drinks of choice are the cheapest quarts of the day followed by the ever so popular 'kraatjie' which can conveniently be carried until empty.

Kraantjie = papsak = the cheapest box wine of the day.

ABV is not the primary consideration by binge drinkers.

This has ****all to do with controlling alcoholism, it is just 'look we are doing something' laughing all the way to the bank.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
So I'm assuming the tax paying residents are moaning about all the issues caused by the alcohol abuse, so what you guys are saying is that the DA should not attempt to address the issues raised by the residents? Or is it that you have a better solution? In case you have a better solution, lets hear it.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
So I'm assuming the tax paying residents are moaning about all the issues caused by the alcohol abuse, so what you guys are saying is that the DA should not attempt to address the issues raised by the residents? Or is it that you have a better solution? In case you have a better solution, lets hear it.
You're missing that this tax doesn't do anything besides raise the price. Poorer alcoholics will still buy the cheapest they can to get drunk, drunk drivers will still get drunk, and I'm guessing a lot of shabeens will just ignore the tax by getting it off hte black market. That's without taking into account that it seems like quite a few people have started their own small breweries at home.

This is another revenue grab, probably motivated by the fact that they are now forced to drop the drought tariffs (even though they increased the base price to basically level 3...) and that coupled with less water usage means they probably have a budget hole they need to fill. Plus people losing jobs, so income streams are probably drying up, while more are going to/have already moved to the cities since there are less jobs in rural/other provinces.

The cost of living in Cape Town is just constantly increasing beyond what the average local can afford/income has increased, while there are more and more poor people they're supplementing (in terms of services/rates).

supersunbird

Honorary Master
You're missing that this tax doesn't do anything besides raise the price. Poorer alcoholics will still buy the cheapest they can to get drunk, drunk drivers will still get drunk, and I'm guessing a lot of shabeens will just ignore the tax by getting it off hte black market. That's without taking into account that it seems like quite a few people have started their own small breweries at home.

This is another revenue grab, probably motivated by the fact that they are now forced to drop the drought tariffs (even though they increased the base price to basically level 3...) and that coupled with less water usage means they probably have a budget hole they need to fill. Plus people losing jobs, so income streams are probably drying up, while more are going to/have already moved to the cities since there are less jobs in rural/other provinces.

The cost of living in Cape Town is just constantly increasing beyond what the average local can afford/income has increased, while there are more and more poor people they're supplementing (in terms of services/rates).

I didn't ask for the faults, I asked for a better solution... and go!

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I pointed out that it's not a solution.

Solution: fix the economic situation, less people demotivated and resorting to alcohol.

OK, now how about a workable solution that the DA can do in their sphere of influence? Unless it's that they must do a coup d'état and take over SA and then fix the economy? Not sure how workable that is though.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
OK, now how about a workable solution that the DA can do in their sphere of influence? Unless it's that they must do a coup d'état and take over SA and then fix the economy? Not sure how workable that is though.
Okay wise-guy, please come up with a suggestion.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Okay wise-guy, please come up with a suggestion.

Raise the minimum price by a researched amount, so you can fund the mechanisms to deal with the problems in creates that fall under your sphere of government influence..

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Raise the minimum price by a researched amount, so you can fund the mechanisms to deal with the problems in creates that fall under your sphere of government influence..
So what about those bypassing the tax? And how much must the tax increase by, who is going to do that research and will it be relevant in 5 years? What mechanisms can help deal with the problem if the root problem is systemic/economy?
You just increased the tax on an item, so that entire industry will now earn less money, what are you going to do in regards to those job losses now? What about the farmers at the beginning of the chain that will probably take a section of the hit that are already struggling with drought and lock downs?

Do you see the problem? There is already a sin tax on alcohol, increasing it more and more without actually dealing with the cause won't do anything. And you already know this fund won't be ring fenced.

Kola_CT

What will these mechanisms be?

So far all you have done is raise the price, like the DA wants to.

Political posturing, nothing more than that, no solution mentioned.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Maybe they must be correctly labeled as drinking clubs? :ROFL:

Sports clubs aren’t sponsored by their respective union. In respect, pending on the union constitution, some have to pay the union to maintain their membership status others do receive union grants, but it is small change. Competition leagues aren’t sustainable. Membership Fees are negligible, pending on the club, and I doubt that most members pay in any case.

For a club to grow, their either pursue lotto money or investment through sponsorship.

Amateur sportsmen and sportswomen are expecting salaries nowadays, the community days have ended in the 1990s.

Most sports clubs survive on their daily turnover (and sporting days). Two years ago I have seen a long list, all clubs in the Western Cape which is in business rescue. It doesn’t help that every community, and a minority within that community, want their very own club.

It is how it is, alcohol sales keep these clubs alive. Not everyone is backed by their gentlemen’s club and university. Yes, the elitist clubs can get by without their community.

And, yes, I did get the gist in your reply, but I am bringing up a real issue which will be impacted by this change in alcohol distribution and consumption laws. This is only one issue.

The private sector will be ‘punished’ by this decision.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
So what about those bypassing the tax? And how much must the tax increase by, who is going to do that research and will it be relevant in 5 years? What mechanisms can help deal with the problem if the root problem is systemic/economy?
You just increased the tax on an item, so that entire industry will now earn less money, what are you going to do in regards to those job losses now? What about the farmers at the beginning of the chain that will probably take a section of the hit that are already struggling with drought and lock downs?

Do you see the problem? There is already a sin tax on alcohol, increasing it more and more without actually dealing with the cause won't do anything. And you already know this fund won't be ring fenced.

OK, you got me. The solution is for the DA to leave the situation as is and to wait until they run national government (or the ANC somehow self corrects and put the interests of the country before their own).*

*since just improving the WC economy will just mean more desperate people streaming in and overwhelming limited local resources.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member