JStrike

Honorary Master
That sucks. I use the Powertime iPhone app. And it is one of the few places I can buy electricity from my distributor (Power Measurement and Distribution). The only other places that sell their electricity is BP in Greenpoint and Pick 'n Pay in Gardens. Non of the SMS or online providers offer their power :-(

Johand

Expert Member
Typical political answer on the last question.

For the life of me I don't know why politicians are forcing down a technology. They are not in the technology business. At the most they should have made the rules so that at the LEAST x,y and z is covered, but restricting channels to technology? Why? It does not make sense.

If a supplier charges the customer extra, that is a different matter. Bur restricting by channel is ridiculous.

waz7710

its just a way to fuel corruption by giving those tenders to their families & friends......the usual story.....

btw.....Cool Photo!! ;)

zeely

That sucks. I use the Powertime iPhone app. And it is one of the few places I can buy electricity from my distributor (Power Measurement and Distribution). The only other places that sell their electricity is BP in Greenpoint and Pick 'n Pay in Gardens. Non of the SMS or online providers offer their power :-(

I wrote and maintain a virtual airtime/electricity distribution system for one of the biggest providers in the country -

The problem is that the margins are too low. Agregators typically make around ~2% on a transaction, which doesn't even cover your credit card fees. Never mind hosting, distribution, supply, etc. This is why most of the electricity vendors are cash only - its a value add to their existing business

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I don't care who I buy from, I'm am very upset that its costing me R1.20 per unit.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
Some home businesses charge an extra 30c for R10 worth of units.

LPCPT

Buy on the web

I buy at www.ibuy.co.za and use my credit card. I wonder if they charge me more?
How do you use the ATM, I just hate standing in a queue at the shops and that terminals they use take forever to connect?
Yuk so much trouble just to get a few KiloWatts:twisted:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Bad news for all the DeLorean time machine owners - 2.21 gigawatt is going to cost a lot of money !

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
I bought electricity through Syntell's website for years. They would send an email with transaction details and an SMS with the voucher number for every purchase.
Now I have been forced to use ibuy.co.za (RMT)'s inferior website, they do not send an email or SMS confirmations and now I have to write down or print out the voucher number and then enter it into the meter, with Syntell I could just read the voucher number from the SMS.

Another problem I have with ibuy.co.za is you can enter your credit card details once when joining the site. You are not allowed to change them online, for example when your card expires and you are issued a new one, 'for security reasons'.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Bad news for all the DeLorean time machine owners - 2.21 gigawatt is going to cost a lot of money !

I believe it was 1.21 jiggawatts. What is this "gigawatt" you speak of? :p

LPCPT

I bought electricity through Syntell's website for years. They would send an email with transaction details and an SMS with the voucher number for every purchase.
Now I have been forced to use ibuy.co.za (RMT)'s inferior website, they do not send an email or SMS confirmations and now I have to write down or print out the voucher number and then enter it into the meter, with Syntell I could just read the voucher number from the SMS.

Another problem I have with ibuy.co.za is you can enter your credit card details once when joining the site. You are not allowed to change them online, for example when your card expires and you are issued a new one, 'for security reasons'.
I would never save my Credit card details on a website. I rather enter it everytime I make a purchase. I think it is illegal to store somebody's CC details, may be wrong though.
You just never know how secure the site is, or more important, how trustable the employees are. This is South Africa after all. They steal the sugar from your coffee here.

Lounger

Expert Member
I have little confidence in this Councilor and her ability to tackle problems, which explains why some sections under her control are dysfunctional at times. I tried to speak to her once, and the secretary told me she had just finished a meeting and was available but was going to head home shortly at 3:30pm. After holding for like 10 minutes, another person told me she still in a meeting and would call back. Of course she didn't bother. She also doesn't answer e-mail or Twitter.

Perhaps if the city council is intent on installing meters for water and electricity in ALL homes, starting from new constructions, they can put someone in charge that doesn't slink off home at 3:30 in the afternoo. Mrs. Sims, wake up please!

Sherbang

Executive Member
its just a way to fuel corruption by giving those tenders to their families & friends......the usual story.....

btw.....Cool Photo!! ;)

You mean the DA are corrupt as well? I thought it was an ANC thing, but I guess you're right, politicians are politicians, whatever party they belong to!

Sherbang

Executive Member
Check out Prepaid24's site. They can vend prepaid electricity online for Cape Town, and have a solution via EFT. No credit cards....I can recomend them, got my previous recharge in less than 5 minutes

RAS

You have only 9 posts and almost all of them promoting Prepaid24. Seems like your job is too promote this site by pretending to be just another poster with no links to Prepaid24. Maybe I'm wrong but seems a bit off...