Car hire - what gives?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm looking to rent a car for a five days from Avis.

SA Resident
SA.png

vs UK resident rate (which includes Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) and Theft Protection-ZA...)

UK.png

ld13

Honorary Master
That is crazy, and might I dare say, they went and done an -ism*!

*Pricing based on where my passport was printed.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Same corporate (international) website.
VPN active, same car?
maybe with a bit of messing around one can get a car for literally nothing.

saw FNB has it now as well.

VanillaBox

Expert Member
Maybe it is an Avis thing, friend called me this morning, said he had to sign his life away for 2 days, he said if he chips the windscreen, he will write the car off, because it’s not worth it to just replace windscreen.
(he made a joke)

Funny that you also posted this now, so something must be up.

eg2505

Honorary Master
No VPN - same car.
try with a VPN, say you are in Germany and try renting a car, do you get the same price?
I mean airlines do it, why not VCar rental and hotels or even AirBNB's.

Cage Rattler

Spotted that ages ago and been using it ... check out the different country websites, no vpn is needed. The UK gives the best value. Even Avis Namibia is pretty close to the UK pricing ... SA pricing is one of the most expensive worldwide. Same currency arbitrage principle for various transport options ... e.g. Norwegian ferries were almost 50% cheaper on the local website vs the various global websites.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
I've never had an issue with Avis, around the world, in every country I have traveled, they always have very pretty girls that have a knack of sorting things out very quickly.

dillinger

When I want to rent a car locally I go and book it through a company in the UK, always get a better deal. rentalcars.com Used them for America and Italy and never had a problem.

Drifter

Honorary Master
I got quotes when we were in Bulgaria, roughly R600 to rent a car for a week, unlimited mileage.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
Also try the same site in incognito mode / VPN. Info from site trackers may be at work. Airlines are notorious for this trick.