Car insurance companies stick it to e-tolls' licence disc system

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
<munches popcorn furiously> ..
/grabs

/munches

This is going to be SO interesting.

Having said that, it is best that you obtain written proof from your insurance maker/broker/dealer that they will honour your accident claim even if your licence disc has expired.

Better be safe than sorry.

biena

Executive Member
Acknowledgment that the license disk does not mean that the car is roadworthy.

/opens own bag of nutty corn.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
This was to be expected.
The Insurance Companies are in the right here.
A roadworthy is dependent upon an actual roadworthy test being performed and the proof thereof submitted to the eNatis system.
When you are involved in a collision another visual inspection is done as to the vehicle's roadworthiness before the crash.
This is what they work off of. Not the License Disc.
The License disc isn't your license, it is just proof that you paid your license.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
This was to be expected.
A roadworthy is dependent upon an actual roadworthy test being performed and the proof thereof submitted to the eNatis system.
When you are involved in a collision another visual inspection is done as to the vehicle's roadworthiness before the crash.
The License disc isn't your license, it is just proof that you paid your license.
And it's only proof that once upon a time your car was roadworthy. Means nothing about its current state.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
This was to be expected.
Great stuff.

Bring it on!

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Without a license disc, car is on the road illegally no?

I simply don't see insurance companies looking past that fact. No matter what any article says. I will believe it when I hear of someone who has claimed for an accident with an expired disc.

Also, what happens when someone causes an accident and a 3rd party is involved. 3rd party has a license disc. You don't. Now what?

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Hopefully this will lead to more and more companies sticking it.

Esp the large retailers who still are paying faithfully.

TEXTILE GUY

Executive Member
Let Naaaaathi Nhlekkko at it .... he will ignore HOW MUCH you have to pay on e-tolls, and come with the story that e-tolls are required and yo dont have to pay a cent .....

Necropolis

Executive Member
This is obviously if the idiots in power ever manager to link eNatis and the etolling systems.

Methinks this will never happen.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
They are just saying that now and once you claim will refer you to the updated fineprint of your policy

Nuro

Expert Member
Without a license disc, car is on the road illegally no?

I simply don't see insurance companies looking past that fact. No matter what any article says. I will believe it when I hear of someone who has claimed for an accident with an expired disc.

Also, what happens when someone causes an accident and a 3rd party is involved. 3rd party has a license disc. You don't. Now what?
In 2013 my car was written off with an expired disc. The insurance said the car was roadworthy, so they approved the claim.

Nuro

Expert Member
Really? You were not even in the 21 day grace period?
Nope, out by 3 months. I obviously got a fine at the scene of the accident for the expired disc, but as far as my insurance went, they approved the claim.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
They are just saying that now and once you claim will refer you to the updated fineprint of your policy
That can be expected, yes... hence my caution of getting it on writing before embarking on a lone quest to stick it to etolls and enazi...

Mbuzi

Expert Member
I had a friend who was involved in a motor vehicle accident and the license disc had expired 3 months or so ago. Insurance paid. This was in 2013. They only inspected the tyres and the general road worthiness of the vehicle, this is according to the inspectors report.

License disc doesn't mean car is road worthy. Ever seen taxis on our roads, they are in bad conditions but have these discs and up to date.