Car price increases coming for South Africa – TransUnion SA

Matt91

Expert Member
Never been able to buy a new car in my life. Maybe one day. :confused:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
The South African way, we are not selling enough. Increase the price

100%... I do have to wonder when some industries might realise that profit margin is not necessarily the way to increase overall profits.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Never been able to buy a new car in my life. Maybe one day. :confused:
You sound sad, would you prefer to spend R200k on a brand new Datsun Go or on a low mileage Toyota Corolla?

For me it's not about not being able to buy a new car but rather about the type of new cars I can afford, anything below R300k looks very mediocre to me, with a few exceptions here and there.

Lupus

Honorary Master
100%... I do have to wonder when some industries might realise that profit margin is not necessarily the way to increase overall profits.
Who knows in this country. See it all the time.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You sound sad, would you prefer to spend R200k on a brand new Datsun Go or on a low mileage Toyota Corolla?

For me it's not about not being able to buy a new car but rather about the type of new cars I can afford, anything below R300k looks very mediocre to me, with a few exceptions here and there.
Well the 2nd hand market is also going to skyrocket.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
SA is such a ****up, we have some of the highest tax rates, low $ value earnings and the most expensive cars. wtf.

Matt91

Expert Member

Nope not sad just don't enjoy getting into a mountain of debt for a nice new car, as I said maybe one day I'll be able to afford one as everyone enjoys that new car smell. I think?

You seem like the sort who is quite happy driving around in a jallopie and living in squalor so I wouldn't expect you to understand my point of view. :)

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Second hand market isn't doing badly. 2011 Toyota Hilux DC in white with a canopy and a 3.0 D-4D engine with over 200000km on the clock is being sold for R359000 in PLZ...which is R20k MORE than what I paid for my 2.4 GD-6 Hilux DC from 2017 with 70000km on the clock, with a canopy and free extended warranty.

People are milking the unsuspecting public. How anyone buys a new car nowadays is beyond me.