Car sharing service to launch in SA

Donramos

An alternative for people like who cant afford to get their own car,

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
My sister uses something like this in Canada. It works quite well over there. Ill be interested to see how it does here.

werfie

Expert Member
Inside a secure car park, that only registered users can access.
Hahaha, that's what I thought about my car at my house as well, but someone managed to *cough* "Register" themselves and get access and remove the car... and they didn't even need keys.

VernD

Executive Member
Hahaha, that's what I thought about my car at my house as well, but someone managed to *cough* "Register" themselves and get access and remove the car... and they didn't even need keys.
If they want, they're gonna take it :D

Did you see what Locomute is using? Fiat 500s. They'd have to pay me to steal that.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
So the keys stay in the car? That'll work well......
The system in Canada you have a keycard that gives you access to the cars. I think that aspect might be slightly problematic in SA though.

The_MAC

Executive Member
I wonder how it would stack up against other alternatives as a means of getting to work i.e. Gautrain, Own Car, Taxi etc.

How would you use such a service if you leave from home though (a suburb, not a flat in the CBD)?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The system in Canada you have a keycard that gives you access to the cars. I think that aspect might be slightly problematic in SA though.
Judging by the website it seems the car's locks are fitted with the same system.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I wonder how it would stack up against other alternatives as a means of getting to work i.e. Gautrain, Own Car, Taxi etc.

How would you use such a service if you leave from home though (a suburb, not a flat in the CBD)?
It's not for day to day getting to work. It's more like having your own taxi to do things like shopping and what not I imagine.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
It's not for day to day getting to work. It's more like having your own taxi to do things like shopping and what not I imagine.
Yes, so my sister would use the train everyday but when they needed to do shoping or pick up someone at the airport they used the car share.

It's cool if you need a combi or a bakkie for a day

mister

Executive Member
Loco:
Cost per km R6.80
Hourly rate R32.00

Uber Durban:
Cost per km R7.00
Hourly rate R42.00

Joker

Expert Member
Loco:
Cost per km R6.80
Hourly rate R32.00

Uber Durban:
Cost per km R7.00
Hourly rate R42.00
Also have to include Loco's Initiation fees:

Annual Customer
R499 once off / R45 per month

Once off Customer
R119

F1 Fan

Expert Member
How do they ensure the cars stays clean and is not damaged? What if you scrape a door?

fruitbat

Expert Member
Thats interesting... and an alternative to Uber i suppose...

Using this when your car is serviced is a good one... I have used Uber for that purpose to get from the office to vw when fetching my car before and that was just easy. Calling a cab is a pain.

If i needed to be mobile for a day when this happened... this is an option... The paper work should be less on this... If that can make that efficient, then this should be cool. ANd most importantly - keep the human interaction as short or small as possible.

Last time i picked up a rent-a-car - what a ball ache it was when 1) fetching the car, and 2) dropping it off...