Career advice for BCOM Informatics graduate with 5 years IT working exp.

Hi,

As per the title, I'm a BCom Informatics graduate with 5 years working experience in IT.

I started out as an intern doing technical product support (7 months), then moved onto iOS Development (4 months) and I've been in testing for over 4 years now.

I have a done a few technical courses at Torque IT and my ISTQB over the years. I have no job satisfaction anymore regardless of where I work. I have some coding experience and I've also done some automation for a bit, but that's not what I'm looking for.

I have tried applying for Business Analyst positions, but management always felt that I'm too technical for that role. I was interested in becoming a Systems Analyst (not the Java developer with a fancy job title) but lost that opportunity when I left my previous company.

I am interested in doing some courses along the lines of business/systems analysis. I have looked at FTI(ridiculously expensive) and GetSmarter.

I understand UML, process flows, requirements analysis, ERDs, SQL, various programming languages, business vs functional requirements, Agile methodology, etc.

What I'm looking for is advice and perhaps some mentoring as to what/where to study and what career path to follow.

Thank you,

Spacerat

If you have BCom I suppose you have some accounting background? Them maybe look at the area of ERP consultant. This role usually combines a degree of finance / BA / coding (customisation) etc. Many ERPs our there. best to approach the VARs. They always looking for people

skimread

Executive Member
I looked at this a few years back but the CBAP cert is like $500 USD and you have to do a 3 year renewal.

skimread

Executive Member
If you have BCom I suppose you have some accounting background? Them maybe look at the area of ERP consultant. This role usually combines a degree of finance / BA / coding (customisation) etc. Many ERPs our there. best to approach the VARs. They always looking for people
Do you have a suggestion for an ERP product?

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
SA sucks in the sense that no one will give you a chance without the cert - but, specifically with CBAP, you can't even apply until you have the experience.

My advice would be, show off your skills on linkedin or medium - analyse some businesses and see what happens from there. Don't be afraid to chuck you CV out into the ring, and hell, sometimes it helps to message people directly on linkedin to ask. Depending on your financial situation, others on this forum have had success with offering to work for free for a month or whatever and only if they impressed would they get paid back or a similar arrangement.

A last alternative I can think of, is going into consulting as a tester, and then pivot once you're in there.

SA sucks in the sense that no one will give you a chance without the cert - but, specifically with CBAP, you can't even apply until you have the experience.

My advice would be, show off your skills on linkedin or medium - analyse some businesses and see what happens from there. Don't be afraid to chuck you CV out into the ring, and hell, sometimes it helps to message people directly on linkedin to ask. Depending on your financial situation, others on this forum have had success with offering to work for free for a month or whatever and only if they impressed would they get paid back or a similar arrangement.

A last alternative I can think of, is going into consulting as a tester, and then pivot once you're in there.
Yea, it really does suck. I did a whole module on Business analysis as part of my degree - which is exactly what FTI and other training firms are offering for 30k +.

I think that offering free work might be my best starting point, I will start harassing folks on LinkedIn. :)

Thank you for your input Sir

I do, but I only did 1 year of Accounting and Auditing. ERP might still be a good route to take.

I was also considering IT Auditing, although it seems like they prefer CAs for this role.

I looked at this a few years back but the CBAP cert is like $500 USD and you have to do a 3 year renewal.
The only problem is that there's a prerequisite for x amount of working hours as a BA.

Companies seem to care more about certifications than actual attitude or qualification when it comes to IT, it's mind boggling.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Yea, it really does suck. I did a whole module on Business analysis as part of my degree - which is exactly what FTI and other training firms are offering for 30k +.

I think that offering free work might be my best starting point, I will start harassing folks on LinkedIn. :)

Thank you for your input Sir
I did the FTI diploma in business analysis, and it convinced me promptly to find another career :) Didn't really enjoy it. And TBH, I don't think it would've helped that much.

Good luck with your search.