• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Cash in transit robbery in Boksburg, motorists urged to be vigilant

thestaggy

Honorary Master
JOHANNESBURG - A cash in transit heist occurred in Boksburg in the vicinity of Atlas Road and Northrand Road on Thursday morning, shortly after 9.30: CAT.

The Emergency Support Task Team reported on their twitter account that the robbery is in progress.

According to the boksburg SAPS, two cash in transit vehicles were bombed. No arrests have yet been made, and no information is available as to whether any members of the public were injured.

Motorists are urged to utilise alternative routes and remain at a distance from the area until further notice.
https://www.enca.com/south-africa/cash-in-transit-robbery-in-boksburg-motorists-urged-to-be-vigilant

They are on the run, headed towards Germiston and have taken the M2 off-ramp at Cleveland. My dad works nearby, two choppers in the air over a hostel, shots fired.

R13...

Honorary Master
All that cash about and the mob didn't get at it.

Anyway, this bombing has been going on long enough for CIT companies to institute counter measures. Why haven't they done so already? And it is also a little too easy for the thugs to get their hands on explosives it seems. And with mining companies shedding jobs like these there will not be a shortage of bomb experts turned thugs. Then you have the porous borders which make getting in explosives from neighbouring countries easy.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
All that cash about and the mob didn't get at it.

Anyway, this bombing has been going on long enough for CIT companies to institute counter measures. Why haven't they done so already? And it is also a little too easy for the thugs to get their hands on explosives it seems. And with mining companies shedding jobs like these there will not be a shortage of bomb experts turned thugs. Then you have the porous borders which make getting in explosives from neighbouring countries easy.
One thing I thought of was a convoy system, where a second vehicle followed the CIT with some heavily armed guards but that could then that could also escalate things.

And yes, it is far too easy to get your hands on the equipment needed to take one of these out. Assault rifle rentals is also big business. I know you can rent an AK for as little as R100 for a job. Factor in crooked cops that have been known to rent/sell weapons as well and it is a mess.

While purchasing an AK-47 on the black market could cost anything between R1,000 and R1,800, smaller criminal gangs that cannot afford large sums of money hire the rifles for between R100 and R250 each.
https://businesstech.co.za/news/gen...ensive-to-buy-them-this-is-how-much-they-pay/

thestaggy

Honorary Master
UPDATE:

3 suspects arrested and 2 vehicles recovered near the George Goch hostel.

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master
wow, that CIT vehicle is opened like a tuna can. looks so violent I must admit, nobody dead?

why dont they use stronger vehicles? I mean are the CIT companies cheap to use a toyota dyna small truck?

cant they use a ratel or something more with more military use like a paramount marauder?

R13...

Honorary Master
One thing I thought of was a convoy system, where a second vehicle followed the CIT with some heavily armed guards but that could then that could also escalate things.

And yes, it is far too easy to get your hands on the equipment needed to take one of these out. Assault rifle rentals is also big business. I know you can rent an AK for as little as R100 for a job. Factor in crooked cops that have been known to rent/sell weapons as well and it is a mess.

https://businesstech.co.za/news/gen...ensive-to-buy-them-this-is-how-much-they-pay/
Some of them do use convoys but the number of guards is limited by cost. And convoys have been taken down in the past when they used those spiked strips across the road and ramming the lead car then followed by a hail of bullets to force the rest to a stop. These guys can mobilise 20 or more if they know the score is substantial. And they almost always know the score because they collude with dispatchers, managers, etc or even client side info as these are always carefully targeted.

Blu82

Expert Member
wow, that CIT vehicle is opened like a tuna can. looks so violent I must admit, nobody dead?

why dont they use stronger vehicles? I mean are the CIT companies cheap to use a toyota dyna small truck?

cant they use a ratel or something more with more military use like a paramount marauder?
Cost

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Some of them do use convoys but the number of guards is limited by cost. And convoys have been taken down in the past when they used those spiked strips across the road and ramming the lead car then followed by a hail of bullets to force the rest to a stop. These guys can mobilise 20 or more if they know the score is substantial. And they almost always know the score because they collude with dispatchers, managers, etc or even client side info as these are always carefully targeted.
Oh, I wasn't aware that they had tried that - convoys - in the past.

The bolded bit is why I would be concerned about boosting the CIT's firepower as you'd end up with a warzone.

namzsteve

Expert Member
Wasn't there a heist in the same area about 2 months back? On a saturday morning? The whole of atlas was at a stand still that day.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
UPDATE: 4th suspect arrested, 1 rifle confiscated and the police chopper had to make an emergency landing after it had been hit. Chopper en route from PTA to take over. Highway closed between Denver and Benrose, heavy police presence.

thechamp

Honorary Master
UPDATE: 4th suspect arrested, 1 rifle confiscated and the police chopper had to make an emergency landing after it had been hit. Chopper en route from PTA to take over. Highway closed between Denver and Benrose, heavy police presence.
Squeeze the balls I say.
Ag, i forgot that Mbaweezy is gone.