Cash is nowhere near dead

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Cash is nowhere near dead

The end is nigh for cash, or so a wide range of academics, fintech venture capitalists, and futurists would have us believe. Soon we will pay for goods and services with some combination of smartphones, biometrics and tiny chips embedded in our bodies. Bitcoin and other crypto-currencies may even replace government-backed forms of money, or so the story goes.

Thor

Honorary Master
Cash in SA is dead.

Cash is king, is an American saying because there your money actually appreciated unlike here.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
I like cash, myself.

As long as you've got it, you're not at the mercy of bloody POS (take that either way) systems.

Also it is more readily accepted by many people from diverse walks of life.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
As long as you've got it, you're not at the mercy of bloody POS (take that either way) systems.

I've been there. Once waited for like 5-10 minutes for a transaction to clear and another where I was charged twice. One of the reasons I prefer cash.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Not exactly how it works. Cash can only be dead if not accepted as tender no more. Just because you don't use cash means fark all :p :D
Minor technicality, but legal tender status doesn't always guarantee that something is accepted as payment. Kruger Rands are legal tender in South Africa, I've never tried paying with it at the local Pick 'n Pay for monthly groceries, but I strongly suspect it won't fly ...

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Minor technicality, but legal tender status doesn't always guarantee that something is accepted as payment. Kruger Rands are legal tender in South Africa, I've never tried paying with it at the local Pick 'n Pay for monthly groceries, but I strongly suspect it won't fly ...

How about cash is not dead until it is not accepted as payment anymore? :rolleyes:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I hate cash. Electronic payments are so much more convenient.

Doing away with cash would go a long way in curtailing illegal activities.