Cash-strapped consumers now selective with food too

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Is it the real deal like years back? And is it cheap is the question, probably not :confused: I've been making up for my years without, have it here at least twice a week :sneaky:
Yes, it is now available at our closest PnP. Was not for many months Last saw the original on the shelves about March 2019. We have a black label tin in the cupboard. Waiting for the wife to make her famous Quiche then will know. It is double the price of the alternative stuff. We keep it for emergencies so don't buy it on a regular basis. used to always buy 2 or 3 tins.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Most brands are 200g now (Eskort, Enterprise when they still did it), I am sure you get ones that aren't.
Ja, all are now 200 g. Not sure when this happened though. We buy it occasionally. We prefer the bacon made by a German butcher close to us.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Whenever a product proudly displays "New improved recipe!" on the labeling then you should know it's a mind phukk as they changed the recipe to safe money and now try and screw you over into thinking you are getting a better deal. News update: You are getting screwed mr & mrs consumer.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Anyone noticed that Country Fresh ice cream is back to 2L after being 1.8L for a couple of years? The opposition didn't follow suit and they had to compete with the other brands still at 2L. I'm sure it had to hurt them...hence the move back to 2L.

Dryden

Products being made smaller, lighter and just generally less product for the same or an increased price.

I've been a lifelong beacon marshmallow Easter egg guy but I see they've now made them smaller and they're just worse.

I've now bought a box of Cadbury fluffies and they're not too bad. Better than the now medium sized red/blue/green/yellow eggs from beacon.

When they came for my Super M I did nothing, and now they've come for my easter eggs. Life is so cruel.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I remember around 2004 Ricoffy got the Nescafe branding included on their packaging. I tries a tin and it wasn't that bad. Tasted fairly decent. I tried some Ricoffy a few weeks ago and it is crap. Even Nescafe is not what it used to be. All Gold is suddenly thinner than it used to be as is Bovril to a point that I have to put to jar above the toast because it will run off the knife within half a second.
The Bovril Fiasco.
The amount of Beef was gradually reduced over the years with more and more Soya been added. Then in 2004, the Madcow disease panic ensued and Unilever, decided to go completely vegetarian, believing that was what the market wanted. But sales plummeted, even more, forcing them to reverse their decision and go back in 2006 to a beef stock. But the outcome was a thinner paste. Now I see there is a Boerewors flavoured version on the shelves. Have not tried it.
We stopped buying it completely when it went veggie. Still a very much valued spread on toast and for flavouring of meat dishes.
Marmite and that other stuff is not on our list ever. (Vegamite)

crocopede

What??? I think some of those farm products you've been buying might be laced with some happy weed or something.
I fail to understand your statement.

New growing up formula
R 369.99

Old Formula
R219

Old oats
R21 for 200g
New oats
R120 for 200g

Then there are juices and other items we only buy that is either USDA or EU organic certified.
We make exceptions for ourselves as our bodies can tolerate the herbicides a little more than a tiny 10kg body can.

Anyway, if you feel your / our food pose no danger to your health then awesome. There is enough information publicly available to derive your own conclusions. Specifically about the effects concerning herbicides on gut flora.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
I think a lot of the shift to these other brands is because of sugar content and how people are becoming aware of what substitutes are being used. For example, there's a ****-ton of aspartame in Coke now, way more than there used to be. Creme Soda has actually changed from the low-calorie variant we saw six months ago to what we have now, which has less aspartame because it ruined the flavour.

And good, **** the brands. They've been chasing the bottom line for so long that everyone now knows what shrinkflation looks like. Everyone now looks for the origin of things on the label (like that guy who found chicken from Mexico with more chlorine in it for less than ZA chicken). We're all a bit paranoid after learning that sometimes donkey and horse meat got into ground beef mince. Those ****ing avocados at R36 a piece!

And everyone is looking for ways to reduce their spend to survive a recession in all but name.

Edit: What really ticks me off is the increase in price of some milk alternative products. Good Hope Low Fat Soy Milk used to be R15 per litre, and now it's never less than R19.99.

What??? I think some of those farm products you've been buying might be laced with some happy weed or something.
No, this time there's actually something to it. As an example:

If the latest study in 2019 pushes funding towards more research about the effects of these pesticides on babies and toddlers, I think we're very likely to find a link between certain mental disorders and the use of pesticides that haven't seen more testing on exposure levels in people.

Anyone noticed that Country Fresh ice cream is back to 2L after being 1.8L for a couple of years? The opposition didn't follow suit and they had to compete with the other brands still at 2L. I'm sure it had to hurt them...hence the move back to 2L.
They changed the milk content and there's something else in there that I can't remember now. Their packaging has changed from the original 2L tubs. It's definitely got less sugar, for one.

Last edited:

ld13

Honorary Master
Selling my car to stay afloat. Dont know what changed. Hell, last year i saved a few k a month, paid all the bills. Now i cant save anything and im making debt every month just to stay afloat.
Making debt so that your kid can eat '''organic'''? That is the best idea I have ever heard.

Guess what: Today, for the first time ever, I've tasted a proper alternative to Coke, imo - It's called Twizza and is manufactured in Queenstown, which is sort of "almost local".
But here's the clincher: It costs more than 50% less!
How on earth can you drink that? Tasted horrible the last time I tried it.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I think a lot of the shift to these other brands is because of sugar content and how people are becoming aware of what substitutes are being used. For example, there's a ****-ton of aspartame in Coke now, way more than there used to be. Creme Soda has actually changed from the low-calorie variant we saw six months ago to what we have now, which has less aspartame because it ruined the flavour.

And good, **** the brands. They've been chasing the bottom line for so long that everyone now knows what shrinkflation looks like. Everyone now looks for the origin of things on the label (like that guy who found chicken from Mexico with more chlorine in it for less than ZA chicken). We're all a bit paranoid after learning that sometimes donkey and horse meat got into ground beef mince. Those ****ing avocados at R36 a piece!

And everyone is looking for ways to reduce their spend to survive a recession in all but name.

Edit: What really ticks me off is the increase in price of some milk alternative products. Good Hope Low Fat Soy Milk used to be R15 per litre, and now it's never less than R19.99.

No, this time there's actually something to it. As an example:

If the latest study in 2019 pushes funding towards more research about the effects of these pesticides on babies and toddlers, I think we're very likely to find a link between certain mental disorders and the use of pesticides that haven't seen more testing on exposure levels in people.

They changed the milk content and there's something else in there that I can't remember now. Their packaging has changed from the original 2L tubs. It's definitely got less sugar, for one.
You're both aware that organic food doesn't mean it's pesticide free right? Often the pesticides used in organic farming is harsher than the pesticides used in normally farming. So be careful there thinking paying more for organic is better for you.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Making debt so that your kid can eat '''organic'''? That is the best idea I have ever heard.

How on earth can you drink that? Tasted horrible the last time I tried it.
He's fallen into the trap that organic is somehow better. When in fact it's worse overall, more pesticide use, more land, more water and larger carbon footprint. But hey at least him and his baby are healthier, right??

Lupus

Honorary Master
I fail to understand your statement.

New growing up formula
R 369.99

Old Formula
R219

Old oats
R21 for 200g
New oats
R120 for 200g

Then there are juices and other items we only buy that is either USDA or EU organic certified.
We make exceptions for ourselves as our bodies can tolerate the herbicides a little more than a tiny 10kg body can.

Anyway, if you feel your / our food pose no danger to your health then awesome. There is enough information publicly available to derive your own conclusions. Specifically about the effects concerning herbicides on gut flora.
Yeah you've done it to yourself. That's why your grocery bill is so high. Even before you switched. Organic means Jack in reality except for you paying more and doing the opposite to what you think.
The only true way to be organic is to grow it all yourself, try to use as little pesticide as possible and as little resources.

WAslayer

Expert Member
You're both aware that organic food doesn't mean it's pesticide free right? Often the pesticides used in organic farming is harsher than the pesticides used in normally farming. So be careful there thinking paying more for organic is better for you.
I guess the fact that there are billions of adults currently walking the earth with no mental health issues, having grown up eating non-organic food, is testament to just how bad pesticides and herbicides etc are..

Lupus

Honorary Master
I guess the fact that there are billions of adults currently walking the earth with no mental health issues, having grown up eating non-organic food, is testament to just how bad pesticides and herbicides etc are..
No but the rise of the mental illness indicates that it must be the pesticides. Don't you know, it's the fact that we're now using glysophate that is the issue. Though glysophate is probably the safest pesticide we've made, also if the chops would allow GMO to progress properly there would be even less need for pesticides. But apparently GMO is bad as well. "Can't use comic-sans"
I'm surprised Crocopede isn't anti-vac as well.