Caster Semenya a Victim - but what about all the other contestants?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=nw20090825145032637C325724

The fight for women's emancipation has a long way to go, students said as South African athletes arrived home in Johannesburg on Tuesday.

"Women still have a lot to fight for... this is a case of sexism, it's surprising this kind of barbaric act is coming from a so-called civilised society," said Sandile Phakathi, from the SA Union of Students, at OR Tambo International Airport after the arrival of South African athletes, including 800m gold medallist Caster Semenya.

The International Association of Athletics Federations recently announced that Semenya would have to undergo a series of gender tests, given her deep voice and muscular physique.

But what about all the other female competitors who took part in the same race? What about their rights? If Caster Semenya has some biological unfair edge over them shouldn't their rights also be taken into consideration?

ponder

Honorary Master
I have come to the conclusion that you cannot reason with african logic. I have given up, it's a waste of energy.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Tests have revealed Caster Semenya's testosterone level to be three times higher than those normally expected in a female sample, BBC Sport understands.
Link

I wonder how this one is going to turn out. The response from SA's politicians have been shocking to say the least.

Tassidar

Expert Member
Sadly, the response from our politicians has almost lead me to wishing that Castor is proven to have an unfair advantage (let me not say male), just to shut them up.

The IAAF has a job to do, and that is to ensure that races are fair - they are only going about their job as impartially as possible. If Castor had been a white SA women, I wonder if the reaction would have been the same?

TheHiveMind

Banned
I am concerned that they gave her a heroes welcome.

It's all about the opportunity to use the race card that makes them care so much about her, and support her. Where is zuma and malema to give her a congratulatory kiss on the cheeks? She won the gold ffs ^_^

Last edited:

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
"Tests have revealed Caster Semenya's testosterone level to be three times higher than those normally expected in a female sample, BBC Sport understands."Link

I wonder how this one is going to turn out. The response from SA's politicians have been shocking to say the least.

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testosterone
On average, an adult human male body produces about forty to sixty times more testosterone than an adult human female body, but females are, from a behavioral perspective (rather than from an anatomical or biological perspective), more sensitive to the hormone.[1] However, the overall ranges for male and female are very wide, such that the ranges actually overlap at the low end and high end respectively.
So three times higher testosterone levels for a female is nothing close to what male levels would be? :confused:

EtienneK

Expert Member
It's time to abolish separate events for males and females. Let them all run/play/swim/etc. together.

In today's world, the female group is a protected group. That by itself is discrimination against women. Why is it a protected group? Well, if a female is top of her game, she will be able to compete with/against men. The same is not true the other way round. Men are not able to compete with/against women, no matter how poor/good they are.

Just make one group. Whomever is good enough to compete in that group, let them.

Of course, I am almost sure that if they do do this, there will be quotas put into place to ensure women are in the team.

Albereth

Honorary Master
It's all about the opportunity to use the race card that makes them care so much about her, and support her. Where is zuma and malema to give her a congratulatory kiss on the cheeks? She won the gold ffs ^_^

You may well have missed the subtlety of my post - surely a female athlete would receive a heroines welcome?