Castle Lager Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Can we afford to have a weak lineout thrower when our lineouts are one of our most potent weapons? He can regain the form, though.

And Strauss is very good by any measure.

Rather a slightly off in the lineouts player, who everyone knows is way better than that and can regain that form, than a steampuff, which is what Strauss is. Just runs around everywhere not really doing anything. As for the absolutely pathetic remark about his brother who is playing like an arse in reverse ...... really? That has no bearing whatsoever on a player and it's stupidity on another level.

looks like someone pissed in your cornflakes this morning.

we can't afford the lose as many lineouts as we did. SA kinda rely on their set pieces, and if that is in shambles, we don't have much else going for us. he's also been scrumming like chump. always popping up and complaining the opposition for some reason.

Strauss is solid in the scrum, better in the lineouts and can at least now and again steal 1 or 2 balls. Bismarck for some reason has lost his touch from this game last year when he was sent off for that "high" tackle. Really don't know what's going on with him...

ZCFOutkast

Expert Member
I really hope so. I was at the ZA-Côte d'Ivoire match at Soccer City in 97 - the qualifier we had to win - and it was incredible. The jet flew over the stadium. A crowd of 100000 people singing Siyaya iFrance moves you in a way that nothing else can. That is the last time I remember Bafana doing anything impressive in the football world. It would great to see that again. When a nation's pride achieves, the entire nation is uplifted. And BB haven't been our pride for a long time. I do believe that Shakes has the youth, maverick and innovation to pull of a better team - I just hope he is allowed to.

HM, on the opposite end, has a narrow game plan and winning experience. He seems to be sticking to this plan despite it having been read by all our opposition. Maybe he is determined to end his winning streak. Maybe Jake "quit" the sharks to help HM. Worse things could happen.

Those were great times and I look forward to them. Except I rate the 1996 ACN winnig squad much higher than the one that went to the 98 FIFA WC.

Unless you're refferring to the youngsters he's selected by saying youth, Mashaba(64) is 17 years olders than our Rugby League dinosaur from Mpumalanga Heyneke Meyer(47).

I think we underestimate how much pressure Heyneke is under with all the partisan club fans calling for their players, press, race balance, injuries and actual match situtations every week. It's fair to say that he simply has no time to formulate&build a different approach. We are a low profile country and I'd argue that Hansen, Lancaster or Saint Andre have it far much easier than HM does (Aussies are inherently crazy so I'll leave McKenzie out). At the end of the day, he has no choice but to stick to his methods I suppose.

ZCFOutkast

Expert Member
So that's all HM needs to do to win the next world cup? Bench Bismark and lure Smit out of retirement? Easy, peazy, Lol...
Misunderstood me. I meant he's strangely kept Bismarck on the bench more often than one would've thought (surprised at the lack of surprise at that here too), so in keeping with his thinking he might turn to Smit instead of promoting Bismarck to the starting lineup. Anyway he's starting this weekend so we shall see.

I thought the calls for him at #8 weren't that bad actually. He'd have been ok for 60 mins. Besides, useless Spies has been used there before for crying out loud, how bad could Bismarck have been there?

sand_man

Honorary Master
Misunderstood me. I meant he's strangely kept Bismarck on the bench more often than one would've thought
My bad...

Yeah, Beast, Jannie and Bismarck have been severely over played the last couple of seasons. It's effecting their form. HM maybe trying to manage his players?

ZCFOutkast

Expert Member
Who has the stronger starting lineup?

15 Willie le Roux/Israel Dagg (NZ)
14 Cornal Hendricks/Ben Smith (NZ)
13 Jan Serfontein/Conrad Smith (NZ walkover)
12 Jean de Villiers/Malakai Fekitoa (SA)
11 Bryan Habana/Julian Savea (NZ walkover. Up against a shadow)
10 Handre Pollard/Beauden Barrett (NZ)
9 Francois Hougaard/Aaron Smith (NZ)
8 Duane Vermeulen-Schalk/Kieran Read (NZ whichever one of the two. Worse if Read is given the armband to spur him on.)
7 Teboho Mohoje/Richie McCaw (NZ walkover)
6 Marcell Coetzee/Jerome Kaino (Tie)
5 Victor Matfield/Sam Whitelock (close but NZ)
4 Eben Etzebeth/Jeremy Thrush (SA)
3 Jannie du Plessis/Joe Moody (Tie)
2 Bismarck du Plessis/Keven Mealamu (on current form NZ)
1 Tendai Mtawarira/Owen Franks (Tie but SA if pushed)

Tally: SA 2 - NZ 10 (Tied-3)

I agree with the bookies, All Black will walk this one.

Werner Harding

8 Duane Vermeulen-Schalk/Kieran Read (NZ whichever one of the two. Worse if Read is given the armband to spur him on.)

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about

yes, because this sport is played one on one, and not as a team at all.

Pitbull

Verboten

15 Willie le Roux/Israel Dagg (NZ) - Disagree
14 Cornal Hendricks/Ben Smith (NZ) - Disagree
12 Jean de Villiers/Malakai Fekitoa (SA) - Disagree
11 Bryan Habana/Julian Savea (NZ walkover. Up against a shadow) - Disagree
10 Handre Pollard/Beauden Barrett (NZ) - Disagree
8 Duane Vermeulen-Schalk/Kieran Read (NZ whichever one of the two. Worse if Read is given the armband to spur him on.) - Disagree
5 Victor Matfield/Sam Whitelock (close but NZ) - Disagree
2 Bismarck du Plessis/Keven Mealamu (on current form NZ) - Disagree
1 Tendai Mtawarira/Owen Franks (Tie but SA if pushed) - Disagree

I don't know what else to say :eek:

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

Considering it's a 'on paper' comparison, why do you disagree with those?

Savea is quite a bit ahead of Habana at this stage, I'd reckon. Hendricks is extremely fleet footed and fast, but doesn't have the ability to create space like Ben Smith does. Dagg vs. Le Roux is kind of an apples/oranges comparison, as Dagg's boot far outshines Le Roux's, but Le Roux's running is more dynamic at this stage. While Vermeulen is an absolute beast, it's mostly been in getting turnover ball and crunching defense. Read is a threat all over the park - lineouts, scrums, attack, defense, everywhere. I think Pollard/Barrett are quite similar in their style of play, actually. Pollard might be a bit more of a direct runner. At this point Barrett's experience in the black jersey sees him edging Pollard a tad for me.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Those were great times and I look forward to them. Except I rate the 1996 ACN winnig squad much higher than the one that went to the 98 FIFA WC.

Unless you're refferring to the youngsters he's selected by saying youth, Mashaba(64) is 17 years olders than our Rugby League dinosaur from Mpumalanga Heyneke Meyer(47).

I think we underestimate how much pressure Heyneke is under with all the partisan club fans calling for their players, press, race balance, injuries and actual match situtations every week. It's fair to say that he simply has no time to formulate&build a different approach. We are a low profile country and I'd argue that Hansen, Lancaster or Saint Andre have it far much easier than HM does (Aussies are inherently crazy so I'll leave McKenzie out). At the end of the day, he has no choice but to stick to his methods I suppose.

As you know, we're in the grips of a fantastic spring - it is in the air and up my nose and as a result antihistamines are making me express myself poorly. Yes, I mean his youthful squad. Each incumbent has always inherited an older bunch that, as senior players, seemed to me to have an arrogance about themselves. I won't name names but I will say that I specifically exclude Rooooo from this - he is just a great guy all round. Shakes has a young team to mould and develop and has a rather unique opportunity to fail or succeed on his own terms - or at least, that is the impression I have. I think he will succeed and I just hope that SAFA give him the time, space and leeway to succeed.

KOPITE

Executive Member
Clearly Werner and Pitbull only watch bok rugby unfortunately. You guys need to enjoy watching good rugby irrespective which nation it is.

I agree with ZCFOutcast's comparisons, even if you take them individually or as a team they will still nail us. Boks play like a jigsaw puzzle and can only play a certain type game.

I can only see the AB's winning by 10 or more tomorrow

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Well, it certainly has the potential to be a pretty darn fun-to-watch match. Last year's was flipping excellent.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Newlands sounds like a complete schithole. If it isn't for the impeccably behaved Cape Crusaders we now have this classy bunch.

Sounds like a great place to take the wife and kids.

Wife and kids probably hurl more abuse than the husbands. :p

Never been there, actually. Only been to Loftus and Ellis Park in SA. Twickenham and Wembley next year, hopefully...

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Wife and kids probably hurl more abuse than the husbands. :p

Never been there, actually. Only been to Loftus and Ellis Park in SA. Twickenham and Wembley next year, hopefully...

I have been to Newlands,Kings Park, Loftus and Ellis Park. All were fun to watch at. Ellis Park and Kings Park couldn't fill the stadium for the provincial matches though, but the All Black game last year at Ellis was sold out. I was a bit dissappointed with the attendance at Kings Park as it was the Natal WP final in 2012. To see the open spaces was really sad. At Loftus the normal WP Bulls game was sold out, so I expected the final to be sold out too.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Only one I've never been to is King's Park. (Don't know how but it never works out)

Did Bloem, PE, Nelspruit, Witbank, Kimberley, Loftus, Ellispark, Newlands and even Secunda (upcoming Boks vs Wales).

Tests at all of the big ones except Newlands. 2010 Currie Cup Semi WP vs Cheetahs. Nogal on my honeymoon in the press box.

Also did Brakpan once. The only stadium where there are more police than fans. And they don't sell any real food. Just liquid bread.

Also did Brakpan once. The only stadium where there are more police than fans. And they don't sell any real food. Just liquid bread.

And the police is not there for crowd control. They probably there because they have some stake in the stalletjie that's selling the beer... while they sip on their polisie koffie ;)

ZCFOutkast

Expert Member
Fair enough.

I thought you might have concerns about #6. Kaino's been a disappointment to me. Never really kicked on, he's been the same since he came on to the scene. With so much competition in his position in every team he plays for, Coetzee is bound to be streets ahead in time.

Don't know why you disagree with #1. I'm not convinced by anything about Owen Franks at all, not even his praised allround&defensive abilities. In fact I consider him lazy&too laid back, not maximising his talents as he should. I should've given that one to Beast, but the fact so many great coaches have put faith in him forced me to tie them. Owen Franks for me is overrated. I could be very wrong from your perspective there but no invitation to laugh, I just don't rate him.

ZCFOutkast

Expert Member
I think he will succeed and I just hope that SAFA give him the time, space and leeway to succeed.
We have the worst football fans in world football in my opinion. In that aspect rugby is better in SA. All of them lump themselves to Pirates or Chiefs just for fashionable reasons to avoid being left out, when naturally they are say Swallows or Celtics fans. Not matter how much space SAFA give Mashaba, if for whatever reason the fans decide he must go then he will go. Our soccer fans are powerful. Evrytime players&coaches are moved on because they demand it. Heyneke is very lucky. If he was a soccer coach he would've long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.