Castle Lager Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Still delighted for Argentina. They have dedicated their win (I have no idea what they mean by that) to the GREGENDARY Pichot. Today, I wore my Argentina shirt to celebrate this win.

argentina.jpg

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
Hmmm... Horizontal blue and white stripes. Good taste G! One of these days it will be more stripes and a darker blue...

:p

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
On this note that the Championship have concluded, I see that players may return to the Currie Cup... Pollard is going back, ahem, someone wants to squeeze a win, and Marcel van der Merwe, Bulls really pulling strings to take the cup...

Frankie_Yale

Expert Member
You didn't know that? Just look at their track record since the last world cup.

You don't really follow rugby do you?

I meant to say I really didn't know that for SA to beat them was such a difficult task.

IIRC we had a 100% win ratio against them under 2 previous coaches.

On this note that the Championship have concluded, I see that players may return to the Currie Cup... Pollard is going back, ahem, someone wants to squeeze a win, and Marcel van der Merwe, Bulls really pulling strings to take the cup...
Serious? I don't like this. Never have

Teams play their butts off to get where they are and then the "heroes" come in to steal the glory.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I meant to say I really didn't know that for SA to beat them was such a difficult task.

IIRC we had a 100% win ratio against them under 2 previous coaches.

As critical as a coach may be within any sporting structure, they inherent a team made by the previous coach. There are also much going along with this, styles, decisions, options etc. This is also but one variant playing a role.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Serious? I don't like this. Never have

Teams play their butts off to get where they are and then the "heroes" come in to steal the glory.

Quick Google gave me one article on this:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/CurrieCup/Pollard-to-help-boost-Bulls-20141006

Cape Town - Springbok flyhalf hero Handre Pollard could boost the resurgent Blue Bulls as the Currie Cup reaches its business end.

With the 2014 Rugby Championship now a thing of the past, attention over the next three weeks will shift towards the domestic scene.

This weekend sees the final round of round-robin action before the knockout phases, and while the majority of the Springboks will not take part - as was confirmed earlier in the year - a few Boks could still feature in latter parts of the domestic competition.

The South African Rugby Union (SARU) on Sunday confirmed that the 20 contracted Springboks will not form part of the latter stages of the Currie Cup. They will instead take part in a training camp in Stellenbosch from October 20-24.

However, there are a few Springboks who are not nationally contracted who could be utilised by their provinces in the run-in to the Currie Cup final on Saturday, October 25.

The decision to let some Boks play Currie Cup has no doubt created a tricky situation for SARU to manage.

See, pulling strings. Bulle se moer as hulle die Currie Cup vat met Springbokke. Anyway, I heard it through my local rugby club.

Frankie_Yale

Expert Member
As critical as a coach may be within any sporting structure, they inherent a team made by the previous coach. There are also much going along with this, styles, decisions, options etc. This is also but one variant playing a role.

I hear you. So to bring it back to HM, did he inherent a bad or good team?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I hear you. So to bring it back to HM, did he inherent a bad or good team?

I personally think that PdV inherited Jake White’s end-result, which was a breaching team into success. PdV managed to keep the team on balance, how many changes did he make to the team and what was the average player age in the team? In my opinion, HM started again with the building blocks (which happened to be Blue...), but my memory cannot structure the timeline good enough now... need sleep to provide you with a "more" accurate opinion…

Frankie_Yale

Expert Member
I personally think that PdV inherited Jake White’s end-result, which was a breaching team into success.

So if the succeeding coach gets a great team, all the subsequent accolades and achievements should go to the previous coach?

Frankie_Yale

Expert Member
No, and this is applicable to any structure, your workplace, sports etc.

Why the following statement then?

"I personally think that PdV inherited Jake White’s end-result, which was a breaching team into success"

Why not say PDV was a great coach and managed to garner numerous accolades rather than giving credit to Jake White for gifting him the team on a silver platter i.e. all the work is done, no need for coaching etc.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Why the following statement then?

"I personally think that PdV inherited Jake White’s end-result, which was a breaching team into success"

Why not say PDV was a great coach and managed to garner numerous accolades rather than giving credit to Jake White for gifting him the team on a silver platter , all the work done, no need for coaching etc.

Then let me keep it simple, as per your question, "I hear you. So to bring it back to HM, did he inherent a bad or good team?” PdV inherited a good team and maintained its balance as I already said. I was simply answering your question in semi-depth, where the roots was created.

Status
Not open for further replies.