• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Catfished man flies 13 000km to Cape Town to be with his 'true love'

Dolby

Honorary Master
Whew.

He should have at least made a holiday of it. If I spent money to meet someone in the US that stood me up (or didn't exist), I'd enjoy the pubs in area and travel

Celine

Executive Member
did anyone watch that story about tiffany watkins on channel 171. her pictures were being used by a person supposedly named brittney cavalari (spelling). the guy who was catfished traced this poor innocent woman and had tools to kill her because he was so angry at the person. turned out it was some guy from south africa and the FBI never traced the idiot.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Attempted 419 becomes catfish incident. Least he had the plumb to not pay over cash and hope for love

Good on him

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
I honestly don't understand it. In this day and age there is SO much information out there about this stuff that you'd think people would be sharper on the uptake ... there truly is one born every minute.

blunomore

Honorary Master
Odd story. If she needed money for a passport, he could have just sent it. No need to bring it personally, right?

blunomore

Honorary Master
Also, what is the purpose of catfishing? Do the con person extract money from the victim first?

Because simply pretending to be someone who turns out not to exist, where is the point in that?

R13...

Honorary Master
Good troll if it is just a troll. Unless it was a ploy to scam him out of cash and it turned out he has none. Likely dude isn't telling the full story here.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Also, what is the purpose of catfishing? Do the con person extract money from the victim first?

Because simply pretending to be someone who turns out not to exist, where is the point in that?
Well..kinda

Watch catfish (show/movie)
There can be other motivations. Depends of the misrepresentation is for financial gain or other reasons