Caught shoplifting but not "charged" - is there a criminal record?

So this happened the other day and it's wrecking my brain.

Some student friends and I were in a local convince store. We were browsing separately, when I noticed a staff member come up to one of my friends and a situation appeared to ensue. Basically she had seen him pop a small item into his jack pocket. He was essentially caught red handed, but he hadn't left the store. Long story short, she too him to back and called the police.

We waited around with him until the SAPS pitched, and she explained to them the situation. The cops said that unless he had left the store with the item, the matter would be too easily disputed in court. So they didn't arrest him and he was free to go after he was made to pay for the item. Guess that makes this an attempted shoplift? What a bad ass story to tell the kids...

Now my question: I've heard a lot of conflicting store's about criminal record's. When the police arrived, they asked for his drivers license. They then took down basic information like name, street address, age, phone number and presumably an ID number from the drivers license. They also took a statement from the staff girl. No photos or fingerprints were taken though. So i presume there wasn't a charge laid? Does anyone know if he would have a criminal record now? Or anything on a record of some kind? Something that could effect chances of employment or potential immigration? I know it all sounds like over thinking, but I'm genuinely curious about law. And naturally, there's pretty much no information on the topic that I can find.

Thoughts gentleman and ladies?

C4Cat

Executive Member
There is no record unless you are convicted by a court of law of committing a criminal offence.

werfie

Expert Member
Caught shoplifting but not "charged" - is there a criminal record?

I'm pretty sure you only get a criminal record when you are convicted of a crime in a court, not when the fuzz writes your details down.

I'm pretty sure you only get a criminal record when you are convicted of a crime in a court, not when the fuzz writes your details down.
Why then even take down details and a statement? Seems like a strange waste of time they could be spending on other crimes... So surely they wouldn't just throw it away afterwards... Right?

Purply

Expert Member
Why then even take down details? Seems like a strange waste of time they could be spending on other crimes.
They probably need something to show that they pitched at the call out location.

Anyways, I've done much worse in my teens, even got caught a few times with the police involved once, but nothing ever came of it, just the usual warning blah blah don't do it again speeches.

People should just chill the **** out, everyone makes mistakes for various reasons unknown to yourself, unless you have life experience in these sort of situations, you should rather stfu.

It's exactly these sort of life experiences that better a person in the long run, well at least that was the case for me.

Besides, you only live once, **** happens, be thankful for what you don't have and embrace the lowest moments in your life as they are the most memorable.

Peace

PS,... your friend has nothing to worry about

MickeyD

RIP
Why then even take down details and a statement? Seems like a strange waste of time they could be spending on other crimes... So surely they wouldn't just throw it away afterwards... Right?
No, nothing. It did not happen.

They probably need something to show that they pitched at the call out location.

Anyways, I've done much worse in my teens, even got caught a few times with the police involved once, but nothing ever came of it, just the usual warning blah blah don't do it again speeches.

People should just chill the **** out, everyone makes mistakes for various reasons unknown to yourself, unless you have life experience in these sort of situations, you should rather stfu.

It's exactly these sort of life experiences that better a person in the long run, well at least that was the case for me.

Besides, you only live once, **** happens, be thankful for what you don't have and embrace the lowest moments in your life as they are the most memorable.

Peace

PS,... your friend has nothing to worry about
You sir. If I meet you someday, I'm buying you a drink

ponder

Honorary Master
In the good ol those he would be taken out back and the snot slapped out of him, complain and the police gets called to come pick you up.

Swa

Honorary Master
No, there's only a record if you are taken to a station and fingerprinted. Even then unless you're convicted it's only a record of arrest and not a criminal record.

xodosman123

Expert Member
You can only get a criminal record if convicted in front of a Judge in a court of law. Personally that person should be convicted and do jail time,I have no time for criminals.