CBI Astute Power Monitor / Switch -- Tasmotized!

Tinuva

The Magician
Thanks, did that last night and could see that apart was being drawn on the prepaid box, so geyser was running.

I'm thinking the issue could be related to the contactor, bottom right of the pic I posted.

For info, the geyser circuit breaker is situated 3 slots to the left of the contactor.
Oh so the Timer is powering a contactor? Well that is why. You measuring the power usage of the contactor now.
You need to remove the contactor and put the geyser directly on the timer (CBI Astute).

Geyser connection should be mains -> breaker -> timer -> wire out to isolator (next to geyser in roof) -> geyser

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician so can't take responsibility if you break something or put fire to your house.

Vades

Oh so the Timer is powering a contactor? Well that is why. You measuring the power usage of the contactor now.
You need to remove the contactor and put the geyser directly on the timer (CBI Astute).

Geyser connection should be mains -> breaker -> timer -> wire out to isolator (next to geyser in roof) -> geyser

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician so can't take responsibility if you break something or put fire to your house.
Thanks again. Now I'm confused as to why a contactor was installed in the first place.

I was prepared to do the straight swap that I did, but anything further and I'll need to rope in an electrician.

Tinuva

The Magician
Thanks again. Now I'm confused as to why a contactor was installed in the first place.

I was prepared to do the straight swap that I did, but anything further and I'll need to rope in an electrician.
Contactor is used where relays are not able to manage the power draw. For example if you have a 4kW element in the geyser, most relays won't be able to handle it. The CBI Astute however will be fine for a 4kW element so it can be wired in-line.

You may need some new red wire to re-wire the geyser breaker output to the timer input and then move the geyser from the contactor output to the output of the cbi.

Vades

Contactor is used where relays are not able to manage the power draw. For example if you have a 4kW element in the geyser, most relays won't be able to handle it. The CBI Astute however will be fine for a 4kW element so it can be wired in-line.

You may need some new red wire to re-wire the geyser breaker output to the timer input and then move the geyser from the contactor output to the output of the cbi.
Beyond my comfort zone... I'll get an electrician to sort it out.

iWish

Got one yesterday and installed it in my swimming pool DB board. My old timer was starting to loose time. So far happy with the CBI astute WiFi timer. Paired the timer with the Smart Life app, not the CBI app.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Was about to ask what that was but now it makes perfect sense why it sees nothing drawing yeah.

Turbogo

Firstly, thank you @gbyleveldt for a very detailed tutorial - you're a star!!! If anyone wants to buy this switch, they are currently on sale at Chamberlains going for R379 each. sale ending 9 Aug '21. I got one yesterday, this will be my project today ;-)

Speedster

Honorary Master
Firstly, thank you @gbyleveldt for a very detailed tutorial - you're a star!!! If anyone wants to buy this switch, they are currently on sale at Chamberlains going for R379 each. sale ending 9 Aug '21. I got one yesterday, this will be my project today ;-)
Is the price for the controller or the isolator?

Saba'a

Executive Member
Cant find it in the Chamberlain sale pamphlet?

Saba'a

Executive Member
Although I already have 3 for 3 geysers, so probably dont need anymore.

ebendl

Expert Member
Plugs at Builders for R550 a piece. Couple in stock at Faerie Glen Builders in PTA East.

image-2021-07-31-12:37:14-365.jpg

Saba'a

Executive Member
Got one yesterday and installed it in my swimming pool DB board. My old timer was starting to loose time. So far happy with the CBI astute WiFi timer. Paired the timer with the Smart Life app, not the CBI app.
What does the Tuya SmartLife app identify it as?

Electrical? Sensor? Breaker? Smart meter?

I replaced my old geyser timers but no led lights for pairing appearing?

Vades

I connected via the CBI app first, after which it was viewable on the Tuya app.

iWish

I selected “electrical” and then WiFi switch in the Smart Life app.
You have to look carefully for the blinking led light. Not easy to see.

Saba'a

Executive Member
I selected “electrical” and then WiFi switch in the Smart Life app.
You have to look carefully for the blinking led light. Not easy to see.
Thanks only saw now so I followed the CBI Home app route.

Dont see it in the Smart Life app but will try this later.

Just glad got it at least connected.

Thanks

jcdup55

I initially linked mine to the CBI app and had to re-do the linking to see them in the the Tuya app.