CBI Astute Power Monitor / Switch -- Tasmotized!

Speedster

Honorary Master
This is the reason why I'm looking at the Isolator - saves me from putting another thing into the DB.

That being said - the Isolator is a 2x4 light switch, but my existing isolator is in a 4x4 hole. Is there something where one can fit a 2x4 into a 4x4 space?
Unfortunately the isolator is double the freaking the price

warrenpfo

Can anyone advise on whete you input the cost of electricity so the astute can calculate the cost of consumption or does it just give kW used?

Speedster

Honorary Master
Can anyone advise on whete you input the cost of electricity so the astute can calculate the cost of consumption or does it just give kW used?
Doesn't look like the CBI app has an option to input price

warrenpfo

So what is everyone using power wise?

I have one 200l 3kw element geyser with a family of 3 and we use just over 10kw a day just for the geyser.

Dee96

Expert Member
So what is everyone using power wise?

I have one 200l 3kw element geyser with a family of 3 and we use just over 10kw a day just for the geyser.
150l 3kw using 5kw for a family of 2.
Geyser on for 90 minutes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210421-232105_CBI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20210421-232105_CBI Home.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 37

chickenbeef

Executive Member
I thought my geyser was sapping a large chunk of power but it's only using ~2.5kwh a day.

It isn't even worth it for me to put it on a timer because the element doesn't turn on during the day anyway.

73826646eca92a30662c4a2618bd46fb.jpg

Speedster

Honorary Master
I thought my geyser was sapping a large chunk of power but it's only using ~2.5kwh a day.

It isn't even worth it for me to put it on a timer because the element doesn't turn on during the day anyway.

73826646eca92a30662c4a2618bd46fb.jpg
The timer helps if you're using hot water sporadically throughout the day. We have two geysers, one for the upstairs bathroom and the other for the kids bathroom and kitchen. Upstairs bathroom we only use hot water in the morning so timer there doesn't really help. The kitchen we use bits of hot water regularly so the timer helps quite a bit there.

ebendl

Expert Member
Looks handy. Depending on pricing obviously
Definitely looks good, yeah. I like the approach CBI is going -- rather change the fittings in my house with more "standard" South African fittings, and not just plug in more things on top of the dumb sockets.

warrenpfo

The only problem I can see is the reliance on the Internet and their cloud server.

No Internet no accessibility to the units and with our loadshedding I would rather have something that runs on my local network.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
The only problem I can see is the reliance on the Internet and their cloud server.

No Internet no accessibility to the units and with our loadshedding I would rather have something that runs on my local network.
Like most smart switches. It has a physical override.

Speedster

Honorary Master

A simple backup UPS should solve this issue, although I do agree - local is lekker. I'm slowly building up my Home Assistant stuff and focussing on LAN only as far as possible

Tinuva

The Magician
Aah so its called the CBI Astute Smart Plug or ASP for in short.

Don't see it at any shops yet but looks nice. Not sure if I would get one though, with it getting more and more difficult to tasmotize smart plugs I guess I will have to eventually give in to these horrid clouds.

ebendl

Expert Member
Aah so its called the CBI Astute Smart Plug or ASP for in short.

Don't see it at any shops yet but looks nice. Not sure if I would get one though, with it getting more and more difficult to tasmotize smart plugs I guess I will have to eventually give in to these horrid clouds.
If you're happy enough with Home Assistant and can block it (the Astutes) from accessing the internet, then the TuyaLocal integration that I shared earlier does work quite well (assuming it works with the plug too)

Full local control with power measurement. And at least you're not modifying anything around the device (or even it's software) so it should keep its certification.

Last edited:

R4m80

If you're happy enough with Home Assistant and can block it (the Astutes) from accessing the internet, then the TuyaLocal integration that I shared earlier does work quite well (assuming it works with the plug too)

Full local control with power measurement. And at least you're not modifying anything around the device (or even it's software) so it should keep its certification.
The only problem with TuyaLocal and energy monitoring is that you cannot calibrate the energy monitoring.

wilbur

During loadshedding my plugs don't work, so no internet is the least of my issues!