Cele on guns: Amended Firearms Control Act cannot allow individuals to own more than one gun

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Swaai left, right? exse....
Big deal. I have been in hundreds of military marches/funerals/parliamentary honour guards and saw it almost every time (1980's). People didn't have cellphones then.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
I am pretty sure you do not need a battle rifle for personal protection...you'll probably keep banging it into a wall because of the length of the thing.
If you are an untrained idiot that bangs weapons against walls, you probably bought the weapon illegally.
I prefer my Ar15 for self defense thank you.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
If you are an untrained idiot that bangs weapons against walls, you probably bought the weapon illegally.
I prefer my Ar15 for self defense thank you.
I am cool with the idea of a handgun. Rifle rounds tend to penetrate through people which is something I cannot afford and I have carefully considered.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
I am cool with the idea of a handgun. Rifle rounds tend to penetrate through people which is something I cannot afford and I have carefully considered.
Depends on where you shoot the thing. Haven`t tested out my 45 yet on a person or my AR.
I have seen people shooting handguns at the range and some of their shots were found on mine. I prefer the assault rifles for the accuracy they give.

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
Same with my Ruger. As long as the firing mechanism is not modified to go full automatic, I am allowed to have it
Ruger Mini 14 has a very easy mod
You can keep the bits stored under the toilet to be brought out when needed
However
Full auto ( on anything other than a proper machine gun ) -- UNLESS you are very well trained -- is just a waste of ammo

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Depends on where you shoot the thing. Haven`t tested out my 45 yet on a person or my AR.
I have seen people shooting handguns at the range and some of their shots were found on mine. I prefer the assault rifles for the accuracy they give.
Home defense. So little to no penetration is a requirement. I believe this would mean running lighter cartridge loads.

I'll probably catch flack wanting to shoot light load cartridges, but eh shoot a loved one by mistake.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Ruger Mini 14 has a very easy mod
You can keep the bits stored under the toilet to be brought out when needed
However
Full auto ( on anything other than a proper machine gun ) -- UNLESS you are very well trained -- is just a waste of ammo
Yeah, no control after the first 3 bullets. But alas being illegal I have never shot a full automatic before.

flamevector

Can we at least agree to ban certain "types" of guns, like AK47's, R4/R5, M16 etc. for private citizens and possession of such weapons result in 25 to life, even if you don't commit a crime with it.
No that is taking away sport shooting then. I my self am working towards a section 16 licence in order to do 3 gun competition.

flamevector

You perfectly highlight the problem. They are banned, yet AK47's, R4/R5s are commonly used in CIT etc.

The problem we are facing is that criminals couldn't care two hoots about laws and banning. Laws are for law abiding citizens, criminals ignore them. So we end up in a situation where innocent citizens are overpowered by criminals. It's supposed to be the cops that protect the citizens, but this also does not happen effectively, indeed them being the source of many of these weapons. On more than one occasions cops were the criminals.
Not banned but restricted. you have to have specific licences in order to legally purchase one of those rifles and then it is limited to semi.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
If you shoot a loved one by mistake you should not be using any firearm.
Yeah okay, are you replying using a basic response or are you assuming that my entire family sleeps on one side of the house?

I mean, sure I should take advice from someone who thinks using a semi automatic rifle as a PDW is sensible?

flamevector

Same seems to apply to handguns as well.
Yeh, you are not allowed any form of automatic firearm in South Africa unless you are a collector with a certain section licence cant remember the exact section which allows a automatic firearm developed prior to 1955 if memory serves me correctly. i am under correction around the last part of my statement there though

EDIT: it is a section 17 Licence (https://www.saps.gov.za/services/flash/firearms/legislation/gov_notice_english.pdf)

rietrot

Honorary Master
Yeah okay, are you replying using a basic response or are you assuming that my entire family sleeps on one side of the house?

I mean, sure I should take advice from someone who thinks using a semi automatic rifle as a PDW is sensible?
You know what semi auto is right? It's been explained just above.