Celebrity nude photo hack a sex crime

Albereth

Honorary Master
Hopefully they've arrested the people who took the pics in the first place.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Really? These guys go around stealing photos of normal people's accounts for months, no, years - no one bats an eye.
Heck, there's entire online groups around sharing that.
They do the same to some actresses and now its a major issue? Where was the outrage last month?

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Surely the storage provider that got hacked (iCloud) need to peruse the criminal charges, with the person hacked suing the storage provider (if they can).

zippy

Executive Member
Really? These guys go around stealing photos of normal people's accounts for months, no, years - no one bats an eye.
They do the same to some actresses and now its a major issue? Where was the outrage last month?
There have been arrests of hackers who have stolen personal data from private individuals. It's also been in the press. Well here in England anyway. One high profile case occurred where newspaper reporters hired a PI to hack the phones of celebs. It only become public and an outrage when it was discovered he also hacked the phone a murdered girl. You might remember it.

There have also been recent arrests in the UK and elsewhere for hacking of credit card info. No reports of celebs being victims in those.

Petec

Expert Member
Silly celebs... Their boobie pics make it online, and now they are unhappy?
If they did not take photo's of said boobies in the first place, then their boobies would be perfectly safe from online scrutiny.

Mk786

Expert Member
+1

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If they did not take photo's of said boobies in the first place, then their boobies would be perfectly safe from online scrutiny.
Of course they're unhappy and they have every right to be so. If someone stole your private information wouldn't you be pissed too?

Crowley

Executive Member
So you are blaming the celebs for taking private photos?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
For uploading them to the internet. Sure, they're not primarily to blame, but they do carry a small portion of the responsibility. You can't leave your car unlocked in the street and cry when your wallet is taken out of it.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
For one - they are under public scrutiny, 24/7. Jennifer Lawrence knows for a fact that if she gets out of a limo, some papparazzi will be trying to see if she is wearing panties. Because its news. So why take extremely risque photos and then just leave them on her phone? What the original 'thief' did was the cyber equivalent of stealing her phone when she left it lying on a table in a restaurant. This is not some college freshman taking a nude selfie in her dorm room. Most of them should have known better.

Its not a nice world - live with it. I have a 7 year old daughter, she has to grow up in it - and I hope I can teach her enough common sense not to do something like this. After that - if something like this happens to her -I'll be mad, at her and the guy who did it.

So - no sympathy for them from me. This was a hard lesson, the guys who did it will hopefully get nailed, but I think the message has finally come though to those other future victims. You want to treat your boyfriend? Show up naked, bring beer, but don't send him a photo of your junk.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
For uploading them to the internet. Sure, they're not primarily to blame, but they do carry a small portion of the responsibility. You can't leave your car unlocked in the street and cry when your wallet is taken out of it.
So if someone hacked your bank account and took your money you'd feel partially responsible? :confused:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If I was irresponsible with the details, yup.
So what details were these celebs irresponsible with? If there hadn't been a weakness in Apple's authentication process - in this case allowing unlimited password attempts - then there's virtually no chance they could have brute forced the password.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
So what details were these celebs irresponsible with? If there hadn't been a weakness in Apple's authentication process - in this case allowing unlimited password attempts - then there's virtually no chance they could have brute forced the password.
Why on EARTH upload naked photos to a service you're not in control of?

I mean, I know I use my credit card online, but if it's leaked, it's very simple to cancel the card. The genie can be put back in the bottle. But once a naked pic is out there, you cannot contain it. You can't really equate them.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Why on EARTH upload naked photos to a service you're not in control of?
How is it any different so someone breaking into your home, ripping the safe off the wall that you store your backup drives in, and subsequently posting the same photos online? She backed up her phone using a service that was supposed to be secure.

So again I ask... what details were these celebs irresponsible with?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
How is it any different so someone breaking into your home, ripping the safe off the wall that you store your backup drives in, and subsequently posting the same photos online? She backed up her phone using a service that was supposed to be secure.

So again I ask... what details were these celebs irresponsible with?
Believing cloud services to be secure is the irresponsible part. Especially with something as sensitive as sex pics.

Why even have them in the first place? They're a ticking time bomb.