Celebrity photo hack clouds Apple’s product launch

EtienneK

Expert Member
Apple are really missing Steve. He would have blamed the celebrities for posting their pictures wrong. None of this apologetic crap.

Paul_S

Expert Member
I doubt it will have any effect on sales.
I know plenty of people in business circles who go the Apple route simply because it's a fashion statement (Oh look! I'm cool! I'm trendy! I'm l33t!).

In an enterprise environment Apple products are a pain in the ass to support because Apple have their own way of doing things and assume that you will modify your infrastructure and network to suite their technology.

kianm

Honorary Master
Some security experts faulted Apple for failing to make its devices and software easier to secure through two-factor authentication, which requires a separate verification code after users log in initially
There is a difficult task of striking a balance between security and convenience.

bokdrol

Executive Member
People are being slaughtered all over the world and the webz are getting excited because some hollywood slapper decided to take a pic of her koekenaap........ :rolleyes:

Paul_S

Expert Member
There is a difficult task of striking a balance between security and convenience.
You mean it's a difficult task to strike a balance between smart and dumb users.

Smart user = complex passwords at least 8 characters long
Dumb user = my pet's name, my birthday, my favourite colour, password123, etc.

This was a dictionary attack which means that complex passwords were not enforced by Apple and there were no retry limits (e.g. Max 5 attempts within 1 hour before temporary lockout) in place either.

kianm

Honorary Master
You mean it's a difficult task to strike a balance between smart and dumb users.

Smart user = complex passwords at least 8 characters long
Dumb user = my pet's name, my birthday, my favourite colour, password123, etc.

This was a dictionary attack which means that complex passwords were not enforced by Apple and there were no retry limits (e.g. Max 5 attempts within 1 hour before temporary lockout) in place either.
Yeah unfortunately there is more dump users than smart ones and the dump ones would make a big fuss/noise about complex passwords and retry attempts limits 2 factor auth and so forth. They expect total lazy @55 convenience but we know that costs you security