Cell C’s uncapped fibre-to-the-home prices unveiled

BBotha

Cool Ideas is still cheaper with their uncapped, unshapped with a 1:10 contention ration deal.

arcanum7

Installation

Looks like an awesome deal - if you can get it...
We have Vumatel and Telkom Fibre in our neighbourhood (Craighall Park/Blairgowrie)

However, for the speed (4Mbps) we require ADSL is still cheaper.

Installation fee of R1 700 is an additional cost as well. Wonder if the Cell C offer is subject to a contract period...?

If not, then it might be worthwile to take the offer and have some redundant bandwith.

Ah, I see there is a penalty clause if you cancel within 12months of getting the service.

Last edited:

KillerX

Expert Member
Vodacom, please take note of the attractive pricing set forward by CellC. It might not be the best, in comparison to other providers, but its still worlds better than your 200gb cap nonsense for almost R1800. Please bring you prices in line with CellC, and scrap these ridiculous data caps!

nelwa

Expert Member
Vodacom, please take note of the attractive pricing set forward by CellC. It might not be the best, in comparison to other providers, but its still worlds better than your 200gb cap nonsense for almost R1800. Please bring you prices in line with CellC, and scrap these ridiculous data caps!
I completely agree with you, just forwarded this article to them. Unfortunately our estate signed a contract with Vodacom, so we are stuck with them in the dark "expensive" ages...

KillerX

Expert Member
I completely agree with you, just forwarded this article to them. Unfortunately our estate signed a contract with Vodacom, so we are stuck with them in the dark "expensive" ages...
I'm in exactly the same position. I am going to email them about it as well, as I wouldnt mind signing a 2 year contract if the pricing and caps were actually competitive.

Namoret

I have been on the 3 month trial of this and to be honest my 4meg line from afrihost is more reliable. We have the 20meg uncapped and every time we try and stream our connection is throttled hugely. On afrihost 4meg capped the movie loaded quicker. On cell c it buffered for about 3 minutes. Can't say il be going with them.

TheTwo

Expert Member
I have been on the 3 month trial of this and to be honest my 4meg line from afrihost is more reliable. We have the 20meg uncapped and every time we try and stream our connection is throttled hugely. On afrihost 4meg capped the movie loaded quicker. On cell c it buffered for about 3 minutes. Can't say il be going with them.
On the same trial and honestly not worth it, sped tests are just under 20mb but streaming suffers and don't even think of using YouTube on 2 devices

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
For R1.5k that account better be unshaped. A 1.2TB capped account from Afrihost is R1.3k.

BlindMelonChitlin

Expert Member
For streaming, my vox fat pipe capped account is the best I've used. I've never been with an ISP this long and been so happy. International streaming on my 10mbps ADSL is around 4MBPS. Works like a bomb.

Sounds like switching to this would be a step backwards for streaming. No thanks.

What's with that anyhow? You can download a big file at top speed, but steaming sucks?? Makes no sense.

gnomez

For streaming, my vox fat pipe capped account is the best I've used. I've never been with an ISP this long and been so happy. International streaming on my 10mbps ADSL is around 4MBPS. Works like a bomb.

Sounds like switching to this would be a step backwards for streaming. No thanks.

What's with that anyhow? You can download a big file at top speed, but steaming sucks?? Makes no sense.
^^^ What he said ! +10000

Thor

Honorary Master
So instead of driving the Fiber initiative by linking more neighborhoods all that Cell C did is to offer a very small neighborhood which already has fiber packages better priced packages some more options.

So in reality Cell C made zero contribution to the Fiber initiative what so ever.

Where as Vodacom actually took the initiative to physically link up an actual area through that GPON thing if I am not mistaken?

moosag

Expert Member
their coverage is pathetic... but hopefully it gets better sooner rather than later