Cell C accuses Vodacom of market abuse

Should be the other way around.
A non listed company accusing a listed company?
Strange times.

“The Group received a complaint from the Competition Commission in which it is alleged that Vodacom South Africa have abused their market dominance in contravention of
Section 8(a), 8(c) and 8(d) (i) of the Competition Act.

And what does this entail?

Service revenue lifted 4.7% to R62 billion from R59.3 billion in 2013, with operating profit up 7.9% to R20.4 billion.

Headline earnings per share of 896 cents was up 2.8%, while the group announced a final dividend per share of 430 cents, giving total dividend per share of 825 cents.

Group active customers increased 13.8% to 57.5 million, with 7.0 million net connections in the year.

No matter how you look at it, those are extremely good operating numbers. The strong get more powerful. The weak evaporate into the stratosphere.

My gut feel is that the long term space for mobile operations in SA is a really dominant Vodacom.

MTN will be trailing in second place but will be allowed to do it's thing without it being challenged or challenging Vodacom.

Cell C and Telkom Mobile will struggle to survive and will probably fall / close due to lack of abysmal results.

And for the VC shareholders... marvellous times. 430 cents a share is good value.

Brown in winter, black if you burn it...

Yes and Vodacom are unethical all of the time. Amazing isn't it. Actually funny it's almost winter and I'm looking at grass that's still green

No matter how you look at it, those are extremely good operating numbers. The strong get more powerful. The weak evaporate into the stratosphere.

My gut feel is that the long term space for mobile operations in SA is a really dominant Vodacom.

MTN will be trailing in second place but will be allowed to do it's thing without it being challenged or challenging Vodacom.

Cell C and Telkom Mobile will struggle to survive and will probably fall / close due to lack of abysmal results.

And for the VC shareholders... marvellous times. 430 cents a share is good value.

Might be some uncomfortable realism in your observation. But bad development for consumers. Maybe Orange can take over/merge with one of the smaller CSPs, and give them a boost.
Would basically mean a revival of an old across channel Franco-British rivalry on local terrain.

Might be some uncomfortable realism in your observation. But bad development for consumers. Maybe Orange can take over/merge with one of the smaller CSPs, and give them a boost. Would basically mean a revival of an old across channel Franco-British rivalry on local terrain.

I do not discount the negative impact that this possible bleak future will have on consumers. Orange is a possible. The reality for any other operator than Vodacom and MTN is that they have an enormous head start which they have used to their own advantage. Government has much to do with allowing their creation of the ogres they have become. And I do not see that DOC or Icasa have the political will to reverse the situation. Pity.

Back