Cell C advises subscribers not to force Vodacom roaming

Beri

Expert Member
maybe if you fix yor network people will have no need to roam.

Tim_vb

Total BS. If I didn't set my phone to roam to VC I would never be able to receive or make a call during work hours in Joburg CBD. This in spite of having an in building antenna directly above my desk!

Chingha

Expert Member
Anyone willing to share their Android settings on this. I currently cannot receive calls sitting at my desk on Cell C. Don't even ask about the data...

j4ck455

Executive Member
Cell C said that there is a concern that forcing to roam on Vodacom can impact the company financially.

Excellent news, there is a way for customers to force Cell C to fix its network.

Edit, just tried it and it seems like I'm not allowed to change the network operator setting for my prepaid SIM card :(

Anyone willing to share their Android settings on this. I currently cannot receive calls sitting at my desk on Cell C. Don't even ask about the data...

On my S2, it's Settings->Wireless and network->More...->Mobile networks->Network operators

ir32001

Of course they wouldn't want user to set there phones to VC, cause they loose money, but I agree, fix your network and then subscribers wouldn't have to set it to VC.

erMaC

I actually find the data speeds when roaming on Vodacom (which seems to be edge only) is extremely poor, even by edge standards....I've always wondered if Vodacom throttles the speed on the Cell C guys that are roaming.

Chingha

Expert Member
Yip I see you need settings how to roam on data but the article is about the voice service

FlashSA

Executive Member
I actually find the data speeds when roaming on Vodacom (which seems to be edge only) is extremely poor, even by edge standards....I've always wondered if Vodacom throttles the speed on the Cell C guys that are roaming.

Yip, me too! Vodacom EDGE for Cell C users is almost certainly throttled to death and Cell C themselves are more than likely happy with this as it reduces usage and overall billing from Vodacom to Cell C on the HQ level....

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Nope, there is no differentiation between Vodacom users and Cell C users. both are treated the same by the network.

What you are seeing is data roaming on Edge, which is never going to be much more than around 200kb/s.