Cell C advises subscribers not to force Vodacom roaming

ODD1

I find that setting my phone to only use GSM and not WCDMA (3G) gives me much better network quality in highly congested areas, so no need to force roaming on Vodacom. This works on Tuks Main campus, where Cell C 3G is unusable.

Nether

Expert Member
I'm one of the guys trying this out.

I have an S4, how do I enable data when I force my phone on the Vodacom network?

Should I enable data roaming?

werfie

Expert Member
I find that setting my phone to only use GSM and not WCDMA (3G) gives me much better network quality in highly congested areas, so no need to force roaming on Vodacom. This works on Tuks Main campus, where Cell C 3G is unusable.

+1

b1scu1t

I recently switched to CellC and so this is such an awesome way to find out about problems.
I get these kinda dead spots quite often where you have full 3G but nothing transfers. Speedtest.net actually showed 0kb/s up and down.
Phoned customer care and they said something about a tower failing in somewhere in in like JHB South, can remember exactly where, and so traffic is being redirected, that's why it's slow. BTW I live in Pretoria North?!

So is this the Cellc see problems I've been reading about?

Last edited:

Budza

Executive Member

Works for me too. If this fails, I try forcing roaming.

I find the phone often chooses roaming itself before I need to force it...

falcon786

Honorary Master
I actually find the data speeds when roaming on Vodacom (which seems to be edge only) is extremely poor, even by edge standards....I've always wondered if Vodacom throttles the speed on the Cell C guys that are roaming.

Yep I'm lucky to have full proper Cell C coverage where I live,work and frequent including some small dorpies but in the few places where i don't get coverage i tried using the vodacom edge and it was pathetic,I cant imagine why people would use that for data only maybe for calls its worth changing in a no coverage zone.

I've often wonder if vodacom throttles Cell C users on edge roaming because surely the Vodacom edge network cant be so pathetic that it takes ages to load pages even using opera mini.:confused:

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
I've often wonder if vodacom throttles Cell C users on edge roaming because surely the Vodacom edge network cant be so pathetic that it takes ages to load pages even using opera mini.:confused:
See post #23.

falcon786

Honorary Master
See post #23.

Thanks interesting test,that should explain why it always times out when I try to roam on vodacom edge.Its makes sense then especially since Jannie says they don't throttle Cell C edge usage,I 'm sure they wouldn't since its money coming in for them(thats why they agreed to let Cell C roam on 3g with them,more speed equals more data and more revenue).

Jakes147

Expert Member
Thanks interesting test,that should explain why it always times out when I try to roam on vodacom edge.Its makes sense then especially since Jannie says they don't throttle Cell C edge usage,I 'm sure they wouldn't since its money coming in for them(thats why they agreed to let Cell C roam on 3g with them,more speed equals more data and more revenue).
Is it possible to get 3g while roaming on vodacom? if so how?

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/60027-cell-c-and-vodacom-seal-3g-roaming-deal.html

I remember seeing this article but I have never roamed on vodacom 3g.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
I must say, ever since I forced my device to use Cell C only, the speeds in areas where I had barely any signal, are now rather awesome. Getting full HSDPA+ signal at work, where previously I struggled to hold an EDGE connection...

falcon786

Honorary Master
I must say, ever since I forced my device to use Cell C only, the speeds in areas where I had barely any signal, are now rather awesome. Getting full HSDPA+ signal at work, where previously I struggled to hold an EDGE connection...

Interesting so do you think maybe it was the lack of seamless handover causing the issues in your case?Maybe other people experiencing this problem should try it also.

Another thing I have noticed is that Cell C has different APN's for iphones vs other phones and it has resulted in wildly different speeds while testing in the same room depending on which APN your using.

All those complaining that are genuine Cell C customers(I know most are just trolls),what phones are you using with what apn?

Last edited:

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Interesting so do you think maybe it was the lack of seamless handover causing the issues in your case?

Maybe other people experiencing this problem should try it also?

Another thing I have noticed is that CEll C has different APN's for iphones vs other phones and it has resulted in wildly different speeds while testing in the same room depending on which APN your using.

All those complaining that are genuine Cell C customers(I know most are just trolls),what phones are you using with what apn?

Sounds that by forcing Cell C only, he stays on the Cell C 3G network, rather than switchin to the Vodacom network (due to voice issues) and thus do not get Edge.

Should work well if you're in good 3G coverage and don't phone a lot.

falcon786

Honorary Master
Sounds that by forcing Cell C only, he stays on the Cell C 3G network, rather than switchin to the Vodacom network (due to voice issues) and thus do not get Edge.

Why the "don't phone a lot" part if you are in good 3g coverage the call quality is quite good.I call a lot mainly for business and throughout the day and have no issues since my coverage is good.

Last edited:

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
I'm on Cell-C and I get the best results by setting my phone to 3G only, thus preventing it from dropping to EDGE and from roaming on Vodacom. When I leave Cape Town, I'll set the phone to dual mode or GSM only.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
Interesting so do you think maybe it was the lack of seamless handover causing the issues in your case?Maybe other people experiencing this problem should try it also.

Definitely. Even Cell C EDGE is miles better than it used to be, simply by forcing the device to use Cell C only.

As above, the results stay the same when using EDGE, and have had no drop in call quality or connectivity.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
I'm on Cell-C and I get the best results by setting my phone to 3G only, thus preventing it from dropping to EDGE and from roaming on Vodacom. When I leave Cape Town, I'll set the phone to dual mode or GSM only.

Currently it is on dual mode as well. EDGE speed seems patchy at work though, was perfect at home.

Sinbad

Honorary Master

Why do we roam on edge on Vodacom?

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
because CellC haven't activated 3G roaming with Vodacom - probably because it will cost them more than 11c a megabyte to Vodacom and then they'll make a major loss with guys using 15c data in high volumes.

neiln329

Ported from CellC to Vodacon. No more dropped calls, I can now make and receive calls. Voice quality is much better! But still getting ripped off a little!