Cell C contract customers must buy airtime to call private emergency numbers

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Cell C contract customers must buy airtime to call private emergency numbers

Cell C Pinnacle contract customers are not allowed to use their package’s included minutes to call certain emergency numbers.

This issue was brought to MyBroadband’s attention by a frustrated Cell C customer on a Pinnacle 2GB TopUp contract.

He discovered he was not able to use his contract’s included voice minutes to dial numbers which started with 086 or 087.

genetic

Honorary Master
I had this exact issue, and also learnt the hard way when I really needed to phone an 086 number and couldn't.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Telkom free me minutes don't cover 0800 numbers but do cover 'normal' Telkom landlines, which I find silly.

Milano

Honorary Master
That poor woman looks distraught. Car looks like a write off but fortunately she appears unharmed. Were her kids in the car? Her husband? Or is she single?

Sup3rc

Also found out the hard way. Will be switching when contract ends.

j4ck455

Executive Member
The existential dilemma that is Cell C, and is Cell C trying to compete with Rain for the title of the most useless network operator in SA?

As for Pinnacle, it sounds like a flaccid service provider that has its product construct plugging up its arse.

system32

Expert Member

MavChat

Expert Member
Had the same issue in Feb last year. I was in a motorcycle accident on Oxford Road in Johannesburg. Was trying to reach 084 124 for an ambulance but had only "minutes" and no airtime, so the call was rejected.

badtrev

Hasn't this always been the case? For as long as I've had a cellphone contract, any "special" numbers would not use the free allocated minutes and were always billed separately.

cda

Ah, the usual SA business mindset "Well we explain our asinine and callous actions in the contract so therefore it's the right thing to do"

MavChat

Expert Member
I am sure they can create a list of emergency numbers that can be used to call on the minutes part of the line. This is obviously not something that can be abused - The numbers are only called in an emergency.