Cell C customers are moving to Vodacom and MTN's RAN - This is how it will work

genetic

Honorary Master
Is it always going to show as roaming? Bit annoying seeing the roaming message on my phone the whole time.

Goosfrabba

Expert Member
I'm on Cell C prepaid and when things go a little funky I notice that I am roaming on Vodacom. When does this agreement take effect?

BBSA

Honorary Master
I'm on Cell C prepaid and when things go a little funky I notice that I am roaming on Vodacom. When does this agreement take effect?
From the article :

Cell C said it signed a network roaming agreement with best-of-breed infrastructure players – MTN and Vodacom – which are being implemented over three years.

Over the three years, Cell C will move its customers from its own network onto partner networks and decommission its own towers in the phased process.

Swa

Honorary Master
So Cell C adds its spectrum to MTN to use and MTN then gets to use that spectrum as part of a "roaming agreement". Nice...

cavedog

Honorary Master
So Telkom was right. This is a merger.

Cellc has give it's spectrum to MTN to build a "virtual" network for Cellc and then Cellc rents out in terms of a roaming agreement capacity to MTN.

They these companies think we are stupid. Cellc can't call the shots here because the tower is owned by MTN. The tower equipment is owned by MTN. This is 100% a merger no matter how fancy they are trying to be with words.

MTN is desperate for spectrum. Cellc is desperate for money. :laugh:

B-1

Expert Member
I'm still wondering why anyone would stay with cellc? Seems like it just adds a lot of things that can go wrong?

Swa

Honorary Master
So Telkom was right. This is a merger.

Cellc has give it's spectrum to MTN to build a "virtual" network for Cellc and then Cellc rents out in terms of a roaming agreement capacity to MTN.

They these companies think we are stupid. Cellc can't call the shots here because the tower is owned by MTN. The tower equipment is owned by MTN. This is 100% a merger no matter how fancy they are trying to be with words.

MTN is desperate for spectrum. Cellc is desperate for money. :laugh:
I thought that was about Vodacom-Rain - Vodarain.

carl.heymann

MTN is the only other SP with an MVNO service...
I was under the impression that it was only Cell C that has MVNO licence, hence FNB, Red Bull Mobile, Virgin Mobile etc all on Cell C infrastructure. MTN only launched its MVNO licence end of last year: MTN MVNO

I think that with the agreemant with Cell C, all MVNO clients move to MTN's MVNO, but could be wrong.