Cell C has more cell sites to improve network quality

genetic

Honorary Master
I know this article refers to Gauteng, but they've definitely improved something in Cape Town. My data speeds have significantly improved over the past couple of weeks.

AlmightyBender

Expert Member
I know this article refers to Gauteng, but they've definitely improved something in Cape Town. My data speeds have significantly improved over the past couple of weeks.
Agreed. No complaints for any area in Cape Town. Getting consistent 3G signal pretty much everywhere.

bladebob

Cape Town needs to get upgraded, i keep on losing Signal and dropped calls alot latey.

Beachless

Executive Member
Maybe they missed my part of Gauteng but after about 10 tries and a phone restart I gave up on calling someone 2 nights ago.
I really want them to succeed so still hoping it will get better.

cozinsky

Expert Member
Can more people please share their experiences? I am in the Pretoria East region and have always experienced good speeds here. I only battled with speeds in the CBD but maybe that has changed too.

Insint

Expert Member
From this week I had mayor connection issues at monument park. I am constantly on edge and the data connection just drops. I week ago I had full bars with 3G.

I do not have any other issues at this point.

blunt

Expert Member
I've switched back to Voda in CPT. Constant dropped calls on Cell C in CPT. I had 3G reception in most places but speed tests were never higher than 1-4mbit at best. Voda is defininitely superior, where I could get no reception at all in my office parking area I can make calls and get 3G on Voda. Voda speedtests range from 6-21mbit (surprisingly 21mbit in my downstairs office where Cell C barely broke 1mbits).

Still a long way to go Cell C..

ebendl

Expert Member
Ironically enough today I can't get any throughput on CellC in PTA East...

surfs-up

Expert Member
In my suburb in Richards Bay, Cell C has the 2nd fastest data network. I did a test yesterday with 4 devices - Samsung S3, Samsung Note 3, iPhone 4 and iPad mini, all placed next to each other, and all doing speed tests through the same server at the same time. The results were as follows (not exact figures, just going from memory)

1. Telkom mobile - more than 9.0 Mbps download, 3.5 Mbps upload
2. Cell C - 3.8 Mbps download, 1.8 Mbps upload
3. MTN - 0.5 Mbps download, 0.16 Mbps upload
4. Vodacom - 0.15 Mbps download, 0.03 Mpbs upload

Makes you wonder - the two biggest networks performed the worst...BY FAR !!! In fact their performance was pathetic...

falcon786

Executive Member
Well this hasn't affected me much,I'm still happy with my connection here in the Vaal its smooth sailing and at the price its great.

Its also great in most areas of JHB that I travel to daily however I did notice that the fordsburg/mayfair area in JHB has full signal but no throughput on 3g or edge....even tried switching to Vodacom edge and it was dead......could you guys sort those areas out please Cell C.

I often go to eat there and there is always no throughout on Cell C in those areas.These few dead spots with no throughput gives the entire network a bad name even though for the most part the network is great.

siraman

Expert Member
Meh.

The past 2 weeks it's been..

3131060110.png

And then for 2 days(Nov 09-Nov 10) was constantly hitting around this mark

644513442.png

*Sigh* I give up.

jano

Just today I tried a CellC call with my contract SIM - scratchy, bad call quality, person on the other side said I was breaking up. Repeated with prepaid 8ta SIM - clear as day.

Sandton.

Gulio

Banned
In my suburb in Richards Bay, Cell C has the 2nd fastest data network. I did a test yesterday with 4 devices - Samsung S3, Samsung Note 3, iPhone 4 and iPad mini, all placed next to each other, and all doing speed tests through the same server at the same time. The results were as follows (not exact figures, just going from memory)

1. Telkom mobile - more than 9.0 Mbps download, 3.5 Mbps upload
2. Cell C - 3.8 Mbps download, 1.8 Mbps upload
3. MTN - 0.5 Mbps download, 0.16 Mbps upload
4. Vodacom - 0.15 Mbps download, 0.03 Mpbs upload

Makes you wonder - the two biggest networks performed the worst...BY FAR !!! In fact their performance was pathetic...
I bet if you swap sims and devices you would get different results.

zizebra

I bet if you swap sims and devices you would get different results.
I dont think that works if the network is the problem. In my case i was asked to get a new sim which i did but speed was still lousy. Then they blamed my area. They said they had no tower. Then they put up a tower which is now 200m away from my place but still no data. Then they blamed my laptop, to which i told the agent to go dream elsewhere. It works like charm in some areas but in some its just crap.
I have told Trevor, the agent, and am not sure who is next. But i will tell them again

squid66

Agreed. No complaints for any area in Cape Town. Getting consistent 3G signal pretty much everywhere.
You obviously havent tried Plumstead. CellC data has been unusable for months there now(often 0.00 up on speedtest). CellC have acknolwedged that the base station needs an upgrade and that upgrades are starting in coastal cities from 1st Dec, I just hope they get it done this year else Im moving on to another provider.

bounce84

The Cell C reception in the southern suburbs has been extremely bad during the last 3 to 4 weeks. I could hardly go on the internet via my phone. They better get it sorted because I'm tempted to port to voda or mtn.