Cell C has upgraded JHB...!! We are now flying along at decent speeds :)

pronutro

Hey guys,

My N97 started showing me the 3G icon underneath the network signal yesterday - sure enough I was able to download a 3MB track in 10 seconds, which means that Cell C has finally upgraded JHB to 3.5G! (or "4Gs" as Cell C like to call it...).

I can only get up to 3.6Mbps on my N97 - has anybody in JHB tried out the 21Mbps Cell C data modems yet, to see what the max potential speed is on their new HSPA+ network?

I wrote a brief blurb over at my blog as soon as I discovered it:

http://nybblesandbytes.blogspot.com/2010/10/cell-c-has-upgraded-jhb-finally.html

I am going to do a few speedtests over the next few days and see how the service delivers.
Cell C has not even mentioned this on their site yet...

pronutro

Thx Jola - that is pretty quick, although not any quicker than MTN or Vodacom I would guess, on the download side at least.

That figure of 3Mbps for uploads though, sounds a lot quicker than anything I have come across locally as yet... correct?

Yuu

Executive Member
+1 if you want to spend the night in bed with a hot cellc rep :D...to test the fastest modem

Well done CellC, although unconfirmed right now, i have a feeling we shall we hearing more of this and plenty of threads opened but our friend pronutro beat you all :)

Last edited:

pronutro

Yay!

When I logged on here I was sure I would find tons of threads about it already...

I still can't believe it actually - I (among many I am sure) have been on Cell C's case for so long now, I had just about given up.
Only problem - I think they are still hitting me with R2 per MB from my old EDGE bundle - does that sound right? Now that I can download at decent speeds, that translates to mega bucks at month end...

Eish :)

LazerFazer

Seems like PTA has also been switched on. I got 1.8Mbit/s up and down yesterday, at what I think is at the border between 3G and HSPA coverage (My icon kept switching between 'H' for HSPA and '3G'). Not sure if this is related to the 3.5G network upgrade, but I now have 75% signal in my room, compared to struggling for ANY signal just a few weeks ago.

EDIT: Screenshot I was a tad mistaken, as you can see. DL=1.88Mbit/s UL=1.43Mbit/s

Last edited:

pkid

Expert Member
Are you guys using the new SIM cards that come with the bundle or your existing SIMs? I see mention of fears that you are using your old bundles and so I would assume that you are using existing SIMs rather than the data only ones? I thought that you could only get 3G using their new SIMs. Interesting...

MightyMuffinMan

Expert Member
New sims for HSPA+ (According to Cell C tech support has to do with the software loaded on the sim).
Old sims for 3G.

But had a friend who had the 2 GB per month bundle loaded on his old sim so he could use it on his iPhone.

pronutro

I am still using my SIM that I got about 6 years ago...!

What I did notice this morning - Senderwood in JHB is still only EDGE... I was there this morning and it was slooooow all over again.

pronutro

Just got off the phone with a Cell C rep about another issue - they confidently said that JHB will be launched in 2 weeks.... :)

So they were a bit surprised when I told them that I was already getting 3G - they responded by saying that Cell C are most likely just testing it out in JHB before the actual launch.

Shred

Expert Member
Company Rep
Just got off the phone with a Cell C rep about another issue - they confidently said that JHB will be launched in 2 weeks.... :)

So they were a bit surprised when I told them that I was already getting 3G - they responded by saying that Cell C are most likely just testing it out in JHB before the actual launch.

2 weeks? I am tired of waiting now.

Axis

Just got the 60GB budle from Dion Wired in Cedar Square. This thing flies!!

Last edited:

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Hi all

Yes, the official data launch will be this month, although dates are unconfirmed as yet. @pronutro, rather don't quote the other rep just yet, because it could be 2-3 weeks.

On that note, if you're in the JHB/PTA region, why not beat the rush and pre-order yourself a Promotional Data Bundle. Fill in your basic details here: http://cellc.co.za/packages/datapromotion_bundles/pre-order-your-cell-c-speedstick
Then we'll either get Cell C Direct or your nearest store to give you a shout when the time comes.

Moshidi

im currently in Witbank and my modem has been switching between hspa+ and umts since about midnight.
it done 100MB download in around 4 minutes!

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Got a 3G icon on my phone from Saturday, and high speeds was confirmed.

But coverage was spotty, so I didn't report it.

But now I do get 3G at home consistently, but not at work yet.

convict21

Sitting in central PTA, 23 floors up, 3G coverage is present.

Cell C FTW!

rorz0r

Executive Member
Sitting in rosebank, ground floor, with the modem in my pc under the desk, only EDGE :/

rorz0r

Executive Member
Meh. Getting 'access denied' now...

Sent from my HTC Desire using MyBroadband Android App