Cell C in trouble – Insiders speak

quovadis

Expert Member
MyBroadband received information from industry insiders saying Cell C is facing tremendous financial challenges which are big enough to bankrupt the company. Some people even speculated that Cell C may close down and have its parts sold off if Stevenson’s turnaround plan does not work out.
I would be very wary of publishing such speculative opinion without qualification but that's only my 2c.

Zukat

This situation will not be unique to cellC, mtn and vodacom both have bloated unsustainable structures, with rise of voip the revenue will be dropping. They need (if not already) to throttle voip on their networks.

Daruk

Honorary Master
This situation will not be unique to cellC, mtn and vodacom both have bloated unsustainable structures, with rise of voip the revenue will be dropping. They need (if not already) to throttle voip on their networks.
It's unique to Cell C because ICASA failed them early on. There was little chance of them gaining traction with the scales balanced so heavily against them. IMO they did well under the circumstances. It's like expecting Neotel to compete with Telkom.

rodmur

they cannot even spell customer never mind acknowledge their existence

dunkyd

Expert Member
Visited a West Rand store in January and openly wrote about my concern that there was no cash box or receipt book.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
This will kick off price-hikes within the ranks of MTN and Vodacom who will use this as an excuse of justifying their survival.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
What they did was give deals they couldn't afford to poach customers from other networks.
They basically didn't make any money from the start, banking on the long term game.

Unfortunately for them they didn't poach as many customers they thought they would, so they were stuck with customers on deals they barely made money from.

This has been coming for years.

IssiAmd

What they did was give deals they couldn't afford to poach customers from other networks.
They basically didn't make any money from the start, banking on the long term game.

Unfortunately for them they didn't poach as many customers they thought they would, so they were stuck with customers on deals they barely made money from.

This has been coming for years.
They also didn't have a network to back them up once customers were "poached".
Resulted in many reverting to MTN/Vodacom as soon as they could.

I haven't checked in a while but the last time I did their deals weren't great at all.
That coupled with a vastly inferior network and it's no wonder they are running out of business.

Pity, if there's one thing the market needs it's solid competition.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
How did they get here? Blame the dinosaur they imported from Vodacom and then the one that looted it. Lars was still the best CEO.
To be fair, I think AKC did a lot of good for Cell C, and at least in the public image the trajectory was positive under his reign... it was that Dos Santos twit that tanked it heavily.

Swa

Honorary Master
To be fair, I think AKC did a lot of good for Cell C, and at least in the public image the trajectory was positive under his reign... it was that Dos Santos twit that tanked it heavily.
That could be true from a business perspective. It was under Lars that they became competitive. After that they gradually became less competitive to the point they seem to now be the only network that have forgotten they have to pay for the upkeep of the network after hours but could be making money off it.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
That could be true from a business perspective. It was under Lars that they became competitive. After that they gradually became less competitive to the point they seem to now be the only network that have forgotten they have to pay for the upkeep of the network after hours but could be making money off it.
Agreed.....

Also Dos Santos presided over the period where they took a nice simple product line up and completely rogered it with complexity...

dunkyd

Expert Member
They have just taken another random amount out of my account for an old, properly cancelled, contract that stopped 16th January !!!

''They added that the company has had many turnaround plans over the last decade''.....one cannot help but wonder how long will they be able to escape the bullet though..?